Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 08:08 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,080,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I remember years ago, when i was dating, and when guys saw my house, (full of books, of course) they were appalled! I go sick of hearing "Did you really read all of those books?" This was after I moved from my childhood home, and left most of the collection at my parents house!
"Remember kids, there are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

-Mr. Garrison
South Park
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 01:26 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
I remember years ago, when i was dating, and when guys saw my house, (full of books, of course) they were appalled! I go sick of hearing "Did you really read all of those books?" This was after I moved from my childhood home, and left most of the collection at my parents house!
I get the same question asked by most everyone who visits. I always answer, "Yes, and more than once." I usually get a blank stare and a "Why?" I shrug and answer, "Because I CAN!" Shuts em right up.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:30 AM

154 posts, read 662,283 times
I know two girls who never ever read any book. They only read magazines. I think that's really sad. They don't know what they are going to miss by reading a very good book.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:44 AM

141 posts, read 352,822 times
I've known a few people who don't read or won't read. I think they don't like the idea of having to pay attention without really being able to interrupt.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:18 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Of New York View Post
I've known a few people who don't read or won't read. I think they don't like the idea of having to pay attention without really being able to interrupt.
Yeah, I agree, Tony.
This is such a now, here, up down, move about culture. 2 tvs on, the computer, the music in the next room. Few people experience quiet or know how to listen to themselves in a quiet room. Reading a book is hard for them because they cannot 'lose themselves' in the story without the constant background of life.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:15 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny_74 View Post
I know two girls who never ever read any book. They only read magazines. I think that's really sad. They don't know what they are going to miss by reading a very good book.
...and what's really sad is that those two girls have a leg up on many people because they are at least reading something.

Old 01-10-2010, 01:24 PM

559 posts, read 651,042 times
I know a few people who say that they don't enjoy reading. But these people I know are from the Internet/message boards, which doesn't really make sense. To me to enjoy the Internet/message boards, I would think you would have to like to read, unless of course, they just look at the pictures...

Old 01-10-2010, 03:35 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times
That makes makes me wonder, too, Lisa, about people who don't like to read, but are on the forums daily. Except, there is a huge difference between reading (engaging yourself in a mental picture you are creating) and actually simply "conversing" with folks on the forums.

Many people like to talk, but not read. Forum reading and responding, to me, is more like just talking. What do you think?

I have known people who just don't read anything. Most of them have been the parents of children that I have worked with as a Reading Instructor for Title I classes. These parents often don't realize it, but they have very bright children that they have helped to become poor readers because the kids have had no modeling at home.

Parents! If you want your children to be good readers, well-educated and all around informed characters, READ TO THEM, read with them and encourage them to read many forms of literature. It is the best gift you can give to your children ~ attention, imagination, and joy of reading.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:56 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,321,246 times
I know some folks who don't read books. Some read magazines and some read on the Internet. But, they don't read books. It's hard for me to understand it but, then, it's difficult for them to understand how I can spend so much of my time reading. Book reading is simply one of my greatest joys and I realize that not everyone considers it to be "joyous."

There are some good things the come out of their not reading. When they receive books as gifts they give them to me.

My parents were readers. They read to both me and my little sister every night. So, she and I became readers. I remember going to the base library. Each person could check out 4 books for 2 weeks. The four of us would come home with a total of 16 books and the feeling was akin to having found buried treasure. As kids in Hawaii, we got the weekly reader about books. We could order books and I was lucky enough to have parents who wanted me to read and who were able to buy the books for me. I think they cost between 50 cents and a dollar. Oh, the joy of receiving a box load of books. I read a lot of stories about ponies back then. There is something about little girls and ponies.....we all wanted one. The closest we came to owning a pony was to have storybooks about them.

In my case, I was taught the value of books at an early age and I followed right in my parents' footsteps to become an avid reader. Some folks don't have that kind of backing. That brings to mind a time when all the family was at my grandmother's visiting. My cousin Roy and I were the oldest grandchildren. I suppose he was around age eleven and I was thirteen. We both read a lot and his father would give him grief about reading rather than being outside getting exercise. That can wound a kid for sure. My cuz is still a reader, though, and we are in our 60s.

To each his own. My "own" is books.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:48 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,133,948 times
Wink Readers aren't born; they're created.

Ketabcha, are you my sister?

Your childhood mirrors my own minus the base home. Although, my father was raised on army bases around the country. I don't think that counts, however.

Our family all read each evening sitting in a favorite chair, stretched out on the carpet or curled up on the sofa. When it was time for bed my brother, sister and I got in our PJ's for one great story or chapter read by one of my parents. It was a wonderful time.

Some evenings after our reading respite, we would listen to Amos and Andy, Dick Tracy or My Little Margie on the radio. But, it was the adventure of books that we all really grew up loving. (By the way, my favorite books in grade school were all of the Walter Farley "Black Stallion" books! What mental pictures I could conjure up! )

My children were all raised the same way. Most children grab a favorite Teddy or a truck when told that a car ride is on the day's agenda. Not my kiddos. They all would grab a book and pop into the car ready to pass the time while Mom ran some errands.

I wish that all children had the opportunity to be read to and to be encouraged to read. I agree with you - your cousin must have felt quite wounded by his father's comment. We all have our individual interests and deserve to have them respected.

I received a lovely book of nursery rhymes and stories as a baby shower gift for my first son almost 40 yrs. ago. Since that time I always give a keepsake child's book as a shower or new baby gift. It is a gift not only for the new little one, but for Mom and Dad, too. It is often all that is needed to inspire new parents to begin reading to their children from birth on.

Ahhhh, fond memories. Maybe that is why we love reading so. It rekindles those lovely childhood memories and creates the fodder for new ones.

So nice to chat with you, Ketabcha. (Gotta know where that name comes from!)

Last edited by gemkeeper; 01-10-2010 at 11:59 PM.. Reason: Had to add a thought. It may be my last one! :eek:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books