Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 03:59 AM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I think book lovers should not judge others who don't like to read. Reading is just a hobby. I love it, but others may prefer music and can't tear their ears away from their IPod. To each his own.
Sorry, but reading is not just a hobby, its the basis of learning and being educated. Your attitude is why there are so many illiterate people in our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 04:37 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I am a voracious reader whose read books tall and short, fat and skinny, boring and fun but one thing I simply cannot do is read a book on an airplane or in a car. The latter because I'll up-chuck all over the floormats and the former because I just cannot concentrate on a book while on an airplane. I don't know why, but reading on an airplane is just completely out of my capacity. I can read the words on the pages but for some reason I simply cannot digest what is being said. In my home, at work, anywhere else I do read I do not have that problem. On airplanes... I'm a dud.
I know exactly what you mean . I have NEVER been able to read on a bus, plane, or train. I am simply unable to concentrate and the words become a jumble with no meaning whatsoever.

I do find it incredibly frustrating as I see those hours as wasted hours especially when I am also unable to sleep on a plane for example .....
I have spent hundreds of hours in the air bored out of my brains with a book on my lap unread.... Aaaaaargh !

As an avid reader since I was a toddler I have devoured everything within my grasp and I must admit to this day I will never understand people who do not read. Reading to me is like breathing. Not really an option, but something which is part of my very anatomy and part of my mental well being.

The idea of ever being deprived of books is simply too awful to contemplate. Through books I have also developed a great love for the theatre, the two complimenting each other perfectly.

The written word is still to me the greatest source of intellectual pleasure and immersing yourself in great books is always a wondrous adventure into the unknown , reading makes you think and feel , it enables a greater understanding of yourself and of others. It is a window into many other worlds and universes.

I never tire of reading. To paraphrase Samuel Johnson "when I become tired of books , I will have become tired of life".... Life without books is a prison sentence of unendurable tedium and deprivation of the mind.

Old 08-27-2009, 05:40 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Sometimes, having a book comes in handy:

Surviving the dreaded tarmac delay - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap_travel/20090826/ap_tr_ge/us_travel_flight_plan_tarmac_delays - broken link)

Old 08-27-2009, 02:03 PM

55 posts, read 188,328 times
I've met a handful of people over the years who simply don't read, ever, unless it's required for school or a magazine every now and again. I honestly have NO idea how you can not enjoy reading. True, there are those people who are insanely busy and seldom ever have a moment to themselves, but for the most part, people just would rather watch TV than read. Sad since there's hardly anything worth watching on TV.

I've loved it since I was a kid, and read at least a little bit every day. There's just something to be said about getting lost in a great plot that not only expands your vocabulary, but is a wonderful way to relax and spend anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours of your day. The best books are the ones that are just too good to put down and leave you wanting more...and feeling sad that it's over!

I will always be a glorified bookworm.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:12 PM

55 posts, read 188,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
On a cross-country flight once I sat next to an older lady who sat clutching her handbag throughout the entire flight. She didn't flip through SkyMall, she was on the aisle, so she couldn't look out the window, and she didn't fall asleep. She must have a rich inner life, because I can't imagine what she was thinking the whole time. I finished a whole book on that flight.
LOL! My goodness, that seems so odd. I'm with you, I wonder what she was thinking. That must have been one lengthy and fascinating internal dialogue going on in her head!

Old 08-27-2009, 06:00 PM

89 posts, read 201,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
I'm curious about something. Are you a very fast reader?
I guess I would say yes, I am a fast reader. I had trouble reading until 2nd grade when my teacher told my mom to have me read to her every night. I passed everyone up within a year.

Old 08-28-2009, 06:31 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,382,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLariss View Post
I guess I would say yes, I am a fast reader. I had trouble reading until 2nd grade when my teacher told my mom to have me read to her every night. I passed everyone up within a year.
That's what I thought. I think the reason why your students can't visualize what they're reading is because they're too busy reading concentrating on reading each word in their head as they go along like most ppl. Being able to speed read is something of a unique ability and I think it allows your mind to visualize better while reading.

Old 08-28-2009, 08:11 PM

1,222 posts, read 3,829,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLariss View Post
It is funny, but when I was in 4th or 5th grade I had terrible reading issues. I then had a tutor and was reading fabulously.

Old 08-29-2009, 02:16 PM

89 posts, read 201,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsywoman View Post
It is funny, but when I was in 4th or 5th grade I had terrible reading issues. I then had a tutor and was reading fabulously.

How did your tutor help you? What kind of exercises did they have you do?

Old 08-29-2009, 03:23 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
I have a friend who is totally consumed by sports. Hates to read, doesn't have the attention span to sit down and enjoy a good book. But he's happy that way and we get along well, so I could care less if he reads or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books