Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2019, 10:33 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,511,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
You do realize that jero23 does not live in Birmingham?
Yet, I am always in Birmingham for business. Otherwise, I wouldn't know about many of the things coming prior to the news publicized them here. I don't list those 4 cities in my location for fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2019, 10:46 AM

3,263 posts, read 3,827,895 times
Quote:
And he is oh so defensive about Birmingham. It is absurd.

He more or less rage quit this thread because I noted what he thought was "ironic" was not "ironic" (or contradictory) at all.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me how my retort was nonsensical and "word salad" because he can't be bothered to explain it himself.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
I might quibble with which is better, Memphis and Birmingham, but you are right about Montgomery. Anyone who seriously offers up Montgomery as even a blip on the radar screen of tech is smoking awfully potent crack. As the joke goes, if the world is coming to an end, drive as fast as you can to Montgomery. It will happen there twenty years later.

Montgomery is facing a challenge that's almost existential in nature, by the way. If they don't clean up the act of their school system PDQ, the Air Force will be required by law to yank their air bases out of the area.

https://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com...rt/1053656002/
Yeah, Montgomery is in it deep. I was just there for business about a month ago, and it was remarkable how the seat of state government is so underdeveloped even in 2019. I was aghast at little their central business district is struggling with nearly 2 decades of investments under the current leadership. Their riverfront is barely developed outside of the amphitheater. Their young professional population is basically spotty at best, thus no real draw for Millennial professionals who want to bring or start their families. I blame the state along with the city leadership for the state of things there. It explains why Birmingham and Huntsville have gone it alone and deal fairly successful with these methods. Alabama needs better, innovative, and more youthful leadership then and when the Big 4 cities will accelerate in economic growth.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:48 PM

2,138 posts, read 2,240,846 times
Quote:
Okay...And ? What I said is meant for anyone...whoever.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:53 PM

685 posts, read 540,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
Speaking of irony. The USA Today said neighboring Atlanta is the #1 place in the US for black tech workers. However, several businesses and tech-oriented news blogs have contrasted that Birmingham is one of the top cities for black tech entrepreneurs. Birmingham's lower cost-of-living is the one feather in its hat that likely wins over way more black tech movers and shakers in the long run because of most the centergy with TechBirmingham, Alabama Capital Network, a boatload of other initiatives focused on black and women tech entrepreneurs especially black women. I just see the headwinds being more in this city's favor on this front than most realize.
I'm still interested in which blogs mention Birmingham as being a top city for black tech entrepreneurs or even favorably compares it with Atlanta. I cannot imagine an unbiased source making this claim.

Yall sure have attacked a lot of people for calling out something that appears to be a tall tale.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:18 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,040,817 times
Quote:
Yeah, Montgomery is in it deep. I was just there for business about a month ago, and it was remarkable how the seat of state government is so underdeveloped even in 2019. I was aghast at little their central business district is struggling with nearly 2 decades of investments under the current leadership. Their riverfront is barely developed outside of the amphitheater. Their young professional population is basically spotty at best, thus no real draw for Millennial professionals who want to bring or start their families. I blame the state along with the city leadership for the state of things there. It explains why Birmingham and Huntsville have gone it alone and deal fairly successful with these methods. Alabama needs better, innovative, and more youthful leadership then and when the Big 4 cities will accelerate in economic growth.
The riverfront downtown area is actually a bright spot for Montgomery. Not sure what you are looking at. I did not mean earlier that Montgomery was a bad place, it's not. It just is what it is, a smaller capital city with an Air Force base. Just because it isn't a tech hot spot doesn't mean it needs to be trashed.

I can only pray that Jackson eventually develops a downtown area like Montgomery. The bones are there, but to-date the investment has not been.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
The riverfront downtown area is actually a bright spot for Montgomery. Not sure what you are looking at. I did not mean earlier that Montgomery was a bad place, it's not. It just is what it is, a smaller capital city with an Air Force base. Just because it isn't a tech hot spot doesn't mean it needs to be trashed.

I can only pray that Jackson eventually develops a downtown area like Montgomery. The bones are there, but to-date the investment has not been.
Outside of the amphitheater itself, there is not much to the 2-mile long actual Riverfront between I-65 and Northern Boulevard. The remainder of the area is underutilized land uses considering the number of years of investment there. That's not trashing, rather delivering the facts. The leadership of the state government and local government could have done more with it considering the playmakers involved. All of this statewide has to do with leadership, good, innovative leadership at that. That is not a debate rather facts.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:46 PM

380 posts, read 350,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
Has there been a black tech entrepreneur in Birmingham of notoriety?
4 black tech entrepreneurs were listed to answer your question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
1. Does 4 people indicate an industry?
2. Isn't Ashlee Ammons the girl who wore the shirt that says "Black Female Fund Me" ?? Come on.

3. Shegun Otulana - dudes the real deal and has made an industry impact and will continue

4. Wayne Anderson - Really? His company employs 2-10 people and it's in San Fran.

I wouldn't say this constitutes a "scene" but maybe it can be blossom.
Come on dude if you're going to move the goalpost or try to manipulate the premise of the discussion at least make sure nobody is looking that was just bad effort.

Old 03-14-2019, 01:54 PM

685 posts, read 540,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee48 View Post
4 black tech entrepreneurs were listed to answer your question

Come on dude if you're going to move the goalpost or try to manipulate the premise of the discussion at least make sure nobody is looking that was just bad effort.
How is that moving a goalpost? I didn't erect a goal post. Just asking if anyone believes that 4 people constitutes a "scene". It's actually 3 because one of those is not a Birmingham company.

Half of the claims made have been plain wrong or lies (still waiting to see if/where any bloggers or articles mention Birminghams Black Tech scene as we were told earlier).

I could call myself a 6ft 4in Fabio too. Should I be offended when someone shows me a mirror?

Old 03-14-2019, 01:57 PM

1,721 posts, read 2,040,817 times
Quote:
Outside of the amphitheater itself, there is not much to the 2-mile long actual Riverfront between I-65 and Northern Boulevard. The remainder of the area is underutilized land uses considering the number of years of investment there. That's not trashing, rather delivering the facts. The leadership of the state government and local government could have done more with it considering the playmakers involved. All of this statewide has to do with leadership, good, innovative leadership at that. That is not a debate rather facts.
You are stating your opinion. That is not factual.

Who cares about Northern Blvd. That would be an INCREDIBLE expense to develop all of that, not to mention the flood mitigation. I'm talking about downtown Montgomery, from I-65 over the baseball stadium, which is really very nice.

LOL at blaming that on "leadership", i.e. your default blame target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area