Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2023, 09:53 AM

477 posts, read 360,863 times

Advertisements

The population measure of individual cities doesn't really mean that much other than pride. What really matters is the size of the metro area. The Bham metro still dominates by leaps and bounds in Alabama.

Also, how are college students counted? Are UAB students living on campus or in the new apartments near campus counted as residents of Birmingham? They would live there for 9 months of the year, but my guess is their parents fill out the census paperwork and count them as part of their household wherever they live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2023, 10:24 AM

925 posts, read 646,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
I'm gonna go ahead and say this because I don't bite my tongue. People in Birmingham today have been freaking out about the census estimates. Emphasis on the word estimates. See, nothing is official if it's not the 10 year official census. Get that clear first! These are estimates! Here's the truth, Huntsville is growing! That is the God's honest truth! But, Birmingham is too! Listen, the census is not yet reflecting our growth. Truth is, there's only two major cities in Alabama that are actually growing in their current city boundaries. Those cities are Huntsville, and Birmingham. And, to be completely honest, that's not saying that there is no development happening in Montgomery or Mobile. What I'm saying is Birmingham is actually growing from the city center outward. Two of these cities are not growing at all in their current boundaries. I'm not worried about these numbers at all, because I know what's happening in my city. All I can say is just sit back and wait until the census numbers actually catch up to what's really happening in Birmingham. Truth is, the cranes are in the air. The census just has to catch up to what is actually happening! You can annex 25,000 people into your city, but if you don't address the issues facing your city, you'll just start bleeding population again. Anybody with eyes can see that Birmingham is growing like a MOFO! All I can say is just stay tuned! Also, these estimates are always for the previous year. So these numbers reflect last year, which means we could already have a larger population than Montgomery. Long story short, Birmingham is growing, and this state will soon see the fact that you shouldn't sleep on Birmingham!
I’m sorry what lol look, not trying to fight here. Birmingham is still declining like Mobile. Mobile also approved 2,500 housing units for construction and is currently sitting at a 1,000 so far this year…. Before annexation, how about Birmingham

You think that Mobile isn’t developing like Birmingham or Huntsville? Mobile County alone is currently adding as many jobs as the entire Birmingham Metro, add in Baldwin County and it’s just behind Huntsville metro. How many individual economic projects do y’all currently have that will create 1000+ jobs each? We have 3…

Between Mobile, Jefferson, and Madison Counties who had the most economic projects announced last year?…. Mobile; how about this year? Mobile still, by a WIDE margin. Mobile County’s workforce alone is also outgrowing Birmingham’s.

Yes there are more project happening in Downtown Birmingham than Downtown Mobile…. What about the rest of the city? Mobile has subdivisions being built apartments being built, offices being built, stores built, hospitals being built all over the city

It’s okay to love your city and boost it up and I do admit that great things are happening to Birmingham, but to say Mobile is a second class city compared to Huntsville and Birmingham is absurd

Last edited by InlandWave; 05-19-2023 at 10:46 AM..

Old 05-19-2023, 02:34 PM

987 posts, read 895,762 times
Birmingham is experiencing redevelopment all across the city. Not only Downtown. Yall really have no idea! Oh, and I actually love Mobile. Very beautiful city!

Old 05-19-2023, 03:00 PM

685 posts, read 539,517 times
Quote:
Anybody with eyes can see that Birmingham is growing like a MOFO! All I can say is just stay tuned!
Yall have been saying for the past decade until the official census came out and showed the whole metro sliding backwards. "Growing like a MOFO" because you drive around and see some new stuff.. hahaha.

If Birmingham were growing like that, there would be many more cranes, less blighted areas, and we'd be on the radar of the country for something significant like a reputable company putting its corporate offices here.

If you want to see growth go to Nashville, Austin, or Atlanta in the past 30 years. That's growth. Birmingham has added zero new companies of significance and whatever is new only replaces something else with a few exceptions initiated by the city.

The city has done a good job of getting better though. Regions park, Protective stadium, making Uptown/Citywalk something interesting have been great steps forward. Other areas that appear to be doing well are doing fine like Lakeview and Avondale but they're just keeping up. Those areas are great but they're not out pacing other cities so I don't see them attracting growth.

Old 05-19-2023, 03:05 PM

You'll see, just stay tuned!

Old 05-20-2023, 09:43 AM

2,138 posts, read 2,238,932 times
https://www.motoamerica.com/alabama/ MotoAmerica SuperBikes races this weekend at Barber's

Another event that is bringing in thousands to the city. There are only 10 of these events from MotoAmerica in this country.

Old 05-21-2023, 03:25 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,301,117 times
Quote:
I'm gonna go ahead and say this because I don't bite my tongue. People in Birmingham today have been freaking out about the census estimates. Emphasis on the word estimates. See, nothing is official if it's not the 10 year official census. Get that clear first! These are estimates! Here's the truth, Huntsville is growing! That is the God's honest truth! But, Birmingham is too! Listen, the census is not yet reflecting our growth. Truth is, there's only two major cities in Alabama that are actually growing in their current city boundaries. Those cities are Huntsville, and Birmingham. And, to be completely honest, that's not saying that there is no development happening in Montgomery or Mobile. What I'm saying is Birmingham is actually growing from the city center outward. Two of these cities are not growing at all in their current boundaries. I'm not worried about these numbers at all, because I know what's happening in my city. All I can say is just sit back and wait until the census numbers actually catch up to what's really happening in Birmingham. Truth is, the cranes are in the air. The census just has to catch up to what is actually happening! You can annex 25,000 people into your city, but if you don't address the issues facing your city, you'll just start bleeding population again. Anybody with eyes can see that Birmingham is growing like a MOFO! All I can say is just stay tuned! Also, these estimates are always for the previous year. So these numbers reflect last year, which means we could already have a larger population than Montgomery. Long story short, Birmingham is growing, and this state will soon see the fact that you shouldn't sleep on Birmingham!
i'm sorry, but how do you know this? some of the comments on here sound like sour grapes.

i don't know if birmingham is growing or shrinking. i don't know if it was undercounted in the last census. but i don't think it's a stretch to imagine that it could be shrinking as the estimates suggest. of birmingham's 99 neighborhoods, how many are seeing active growth and development? downtown / southside for sure. then probably 10-12 others to the south and east of downtown? fortunately, there are some promising developments to the west (ensley, for example) and to the north (the star / amphitheatre), so hopefully those areas start growing as well. what we really need is infill and redevelopment of these neighborhoods that have developed an urban prairie type feel due to abandoned / dilapidated / demolished houses.

don't get me wrong. i love this city and it's where i choose to live. and i'm optimistic about what i've seen over the past 20 years. the pace and type of developments give me hope that the hemorrhaging of residents has slowed and maybe even leveled off. this is in almost every way a better city to live in that it was in 2002 when i first moved here. let's just keep focusing on improving our city, nurturing our strengths, shoring up our weaknesses, and being birmingham.

Old 05-22-2023, 12:14 AM

573 posts, read 595,412 times
Anyone hear about this?

Old 05-22-2023, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimCity2000 View Post
i'm sorry, but how do you know this? some of the comments on here sound like sour grapes.

i don't know if birmingham is growing or shrinking. i don't know if it was undercounted in the last census. but i don't think it's a stretch to imagine that it could be shrinking as the estimates suggest. of birmingham's 99 neighborhoods, how many are seeing active growth and development? downtown / southside for sure. then probably 10-12 others to the south and east of downtown? fortunately, there are some promising developments to the west (ensley, for example) and to the north (the star / amphitheatre), so hopefully those areas start growing as well. what we really need is infill and redevelopment of these neighborhoods that have developed an urban prairie type feel due to abandoned / dilapidated / demolished houses.

don't get me wrong. i love this city and it's where i choose to live. and i'm optimistic about what i've seen over the past 20 years. the pace and type of developments give me hope that the hemorrhaging of residents has slowed and maybe even leveled off. this is in almost every way a better city to live in that it was in 2002 when i first moved here. let's just keep focusing on improving our city, nurturing our strengths, shoring up our weaknesses, and being birmingham.
No sour grapes here! Just pointing out that the numbers don't concern me. The census has gotten it wrong on too many occasions, not just in Birmingham, but in cities all over the country. All I'm saying is trust what your eyes are telling you. Not saying that every single person who lived in Birmingham last year is still in Birmingham, just saying people are definitely moving into the city. There are brand new 2-300 unit residential developments going up all over the place! And, according to some recent articles, they are definitely being filled. 25 years ago, this city was dying! That is definitely not the case now, and you can actually see it.

Old 05-22-2023, 01:46 PM

2,138 posts, read 2,238,932 times
NBA Preseason back again at Legacy Arena, Oct. 12th between Pelicans and the Rockets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area