Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2022, 08:52 AM

848 posts, read 850,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
I guess with online banking more of a thing and they just want at least one or two solid branches, but feel no need to canvas the area.
Yeah, we have banked at Compass, acquired by BBVA, now acquired by PNC for over 20 years, but I go into a physical bank branch one or two times a year at best. We have a HELOC with PNC, and I like the convenience of being able to transfer money instantly between our accounts at the HELOC, but once we have that paid off I'm not sure why we would stay with a bank that pays abysmal interest rates just to have access to a local branch that we never enter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2022, 02:21 PM

987 posts, read 895,762 times
Bham bashers eat your heart out!

https://comebacktown.com/2022/02/08/...-hearts-out-2/

Old 02-08-2022, 03:12 PM

3,263 posts, read 3,825,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
The World Games is an important event for the city... but let's be honest... the world won't care. It will bring business to hotels and restaurants to people that otherwise would never have visited for a couple weeks. And that's a good thing, but this isn't the Olympics.

Be honest... how many people in Birmingham do you think had even heard of the World Games prior to Birmingham being a finalist to get them? What makes you think anyone outside of the city that doesn't have a direct tie to a participant will care? I'll be absolutely stunned if the world games moves the needle at all in the sports podcasting world or on ESPN or talk radio. I imagine it will get basically zero coverage because there is basically zero interest.

Would you say your perception of Wroclaw, Poland, changed in 2017? How about Akita, Japan after 2001?

As for the USFL... it's cool that the league will play all its games here, I guess. But that basically guarantees that the league will have little to no interest in the "markets" where the other teams are. Not that there was much of a chance for it anyway. Do you think the USFL will still be around in 3 years? Let alone 10... I am skeptical.

Last edited by steveklein; 02-08-2022 at 03:21 PM..

Old 02-08-2022, 04:29 PM

2,138 posts, read 2,238,932 times
The only companies in the state...

https://www.bizjournals.com/birmingh...-cei-list.html

Five Birmingham companies were recognized in the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index this year.

For the second year in a row, BBVA USA, Books-A-Million Inc., Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP, Burr & Forman LLP and Regions Financial Corp. all made the list. The CEI is a national benchmarking tool measuring policies, practices and benefits pertinent to LGBTQ+ employees. The CEI measures companies’ nondiscrimination policies across business entities, equitability of benefits for LGBTQ+ employees and their families, support and inclusivity of company culture and corporate social responsibility.

BBVA USA and Regions Financial Corp. scored 100 this year and last year, Bradley Arant Boult Cummings LLP and Burr & Forman LLP scored 90 this year and last year and Books-A-Million Inc. scored 80 both years.

In all, 842 companies earned scores of 100 this year out of a total 1,271 participants. A record 379 Fortune 500 businesses received official CEI ratings this year, with an average rating of 76, the same as last year.

Old 02-09-2022, 02:37 PM

685 posts, read 539,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotLuv4Bham View Post
Omg wow I have seen that much sunshine pumping in a long time, even from Miles College Alumis. Someone mentioned in the comments a good point. All that is great and positive news but where Birmingham is mentioned in one magazine, other cities are mentioned in 20 magazines. Magazines are clickbait and usually make sure to include places never mentioned before.

Also, despite those great things, and yes I think they're great, David acts like Birmingham is and always has been a cut above other metros and now the world's about to find out. I'm not sure how he explains a declining population then. Why would people chose to live elsewhere if it's such a shining star?

Don't get me wrong, I love Birmingham but I'm also honest enough to understand why someone would want to live somewhere else with more going on and more to offer.

Old 02-09-2022, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfmx1 View Post
Omg wow I have seen that much sunshine pumping in a long time, even from Miles College Alumis. Someone mentioned in the comments a good point. All that is great and positive news but where Birmingham is mentioned in one magazine, other cities are mentioned in 20 magazines. Magazines are clickbait and usually make sure to include places never mentioned before.

Also, despite those great things, and yes I think they're great, David acts like Birmingham is and always has been a cut above other metros and now the world's about to find out. I'm not sure how he explains a declining population then. Why would people chose to live elsewhere if it's such a shining star?

Don't get me wrong, I love Birmingham but I'm also honest enough to understand why someone would want to live somewhere else with more going on and more to offer.
I wish I could respond they way I really want without getting banned, so I'm just going to keep it moving. It's best I don't say anything.

Old 02-09-2022, 04:17 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,301,117 times
glad to see something going in this prominent location... although barely two blocks from Trim Tab.

North Carolina’s Hi-Wire Brewing announces Alabama location

Hi-Wire Brewing, an Asheville, North Carolina-based craft brewer, has announced it will expand operations into Alabama with a new location in Birmingham.

Hi-Wire Brewing will be the anchor tenant of Lakeview Green, a newly built mixed-use development in the city’s Lakeview District. Martin Smith and Michael Byrne of SRS Real Estate Partners represented Lakeview Green in the leasing of space to Hi-Wire Brewing, according to a press release.

The 8,887 square-foot taproom will occupy a corner space in the development’s main building on the corner of 4th Avenue South and 29th Street South. The brewery is planning to open a 24-tap bar with neon decor, family friendly games, and communal seating with space for more than 300 people.

Set to open in late summer, Hi-Wire Brewing’s Birmingham taproom will be the third location the brewer will open in 2022 and will join Hi-Wire’s growing roster of taprooms. The brewery is currently expanding its Biltmore Village Production and South Slope Specialty breweries in Asheville. In addition to Alabama, two other locations are scheduled to open this year-- one in Charlotte, N.C., in the spring and Cincinnati near the end of 2022. Hi-Wire’s out of state taprooms include Knoxville, Tenn. and Louisville, Ky.

In a separate press release on Craft Brewing Business, the owners of Hi-Wire Brewing explained some of the reasons for their decision to expand to Birmingham, including their relationship with alcohol wholesaler Alabama Crown.

“Alabama is already a high-growth market for us, so we see a lot of potential to really keep it going,” High-Wire brewing co-owner Chris Frosaker said in the same press release. “Plus the city really is just blossoming, and we want to be part of it.”

Old 02-09-2022, 04:21 PM

2,467 posts, read 2,301,117 times
and speaking of that site... anyone know what they're building directly across 4th from Lakeview Green on the same block as Mayawell?

Old 02-09-2022, 05:41 PM

1,032 posts, read 679,557 times
What's the brewpub count up to these days? Have we reached the peak? Or have we fallen behind our competitors?

Old 02-09-2022, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBankhead View Post
What's the brewpub count up to these days? Have we reached the peak? Or have we fallen behind our competitors?
Birmingham city limits..9 and this will make 10, plus one in Alabaster, Hoover and Trussville..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Birmingham area