Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-20-2014, 01:37 PM

9,765 posts, read 7,485,605 times

Advertisements

So the Raptors (+9.5 over the Celtics) and the Blazers (+8 over the Thunder) will go into Christmas and probably New Years with the largest division leads in the sport (next largest is Warriors + 4.5 over the Clips). We know none of the 4 teams in the Atlantic are catching the Raptors, so let's put that aside. Here's the question I post to the basketball people at CD:

Which is more likely to happen: The Thunder make up the 8 game deficit on the Blazers and win the division by themselves OR the Raptors win the Atlantic by more games then the other 5 divisions do combined??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 01:40 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,048,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
So the Raptors (+9.5 over the Celtics) and the Blazers (+8 over the Thunder) will go into Christmas and probably New Years with the largest division leads in the sport (next largest is Warriors + 4.5 over the Clips). We know none of the 4 teams in the Atlantic are catching the Raptors, so let's put that aside. Here's the question I post to the basketball people at CD:

Which is more likely to happen: The Thunder make up the 8 game deficit on the Blazers and win the division by themselves OR the Raptors win the Atlantic by more games then the other 5 divisions do combined??
winning the atlantic division is not really an accomplishment. Winning a 1st round playoff series is what the goal for the raptors should be

Old 12-20-2014, 02:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,208,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
winning the atlantic division is not really an accomplishment. Winning a 1st round playoff series is what the goal for the raptors should be
Based on everything I've read from Ujuri, Casey and the players - that's exactly where their focus lies. They want to advance beyond what they did last year.

If and when that happens, their focus will extend to the next series.

And so on.

Old 12-20-2014, 04:27 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,026,639 times
Quote:

I think OKC coming back is more likely of those two scenarios. 8 games is a lot to make up, but doable.

On another note, has there ever been an occasion where an entire division made the playoffs? Because as it stands right now, the entire Southwest Division (Memphis, Houston, Dallas, San Antonio, New Orleans) would be in. We're 1/3 of the way into the season, so it's unlikely that it would happen because these teams would seemingly beat each other up, thus dropping someone out of the playoffs. New Orleans is the likely odd man out cause OKC will almost assuredly lock up a spot when it's all said and done. But you never know.

Old 12-22-2014, 01:42 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,994,152 times
So what team is going to get Josh Smith?

Old 12-22-2014, 06:17 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,485,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post

Detroit couldn't even trade him for a pick or cash, or even a six pack of beer?

Here -- http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...mith/20761745/

Old 12-22-2014, 09:03 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post
He has always been overrated to me since he has no jumpshot and can only score in a fast break situation

Old 12-23-2014, 12:27 AM

9,765 posts, read 7,485,605 times
So the Grizz are entering their first slide of the season. Lost 2 straight heading into tonight and then lost at home to the Jazz. That's pretty bad!
Raptors start their longest road trip of the year 0-1 with a loss in Chicago, giving up 129 total points and I think 49 in the 4th quarter. The overall result isn't bad, but the number of points the Bulls scored, and the close to 50 points the Bulls scored in the 4th quarter is cause for concern. They now get a couple days off before meeting up back out West to face the Clippers, Nuggets, Blazers, Warriors and Suns to end that 6 game trip. As have stated, the Atlantic division isn't going to be a concern, but this trip could take a bite out of the East lead and on January 5 when this trip is done, Raps could be in 3rd or 4th of the East pecking order. Nuggets are under .500 overall, but usually great at home and on paper that looks like they only game they should be favored in.
Speaking of the East, don't look now, but the Hawks are now 2nd in the East, percentage points ahead of the Wizards, who for most of the game just steamrolled the Mavs. The final ONLY said 105-102 Atlanta, but the last I saw of that, the Hawks were up 22 late in the 3rd and up until probably the 5 minute mark or so, the Hawks lead most of the way by double digits

Old 12-23-2014, 08:05 PM
FBJ

Quote:
So the Grizz are entering their first slide of the season. Lost 2 straight heading into tonight and then lost at home to the Jazz. That's pretty bad!
Raptors start their longest road trip of the year 0-1 with a loss in Chicago, giving up 129 total points and I think 49 in the 4th quarter. The overall result isn't bad, but the number of points the Bulls scored, and the close to 50 points the Bulls scored in the 4th quarter is cause for concern. They now get a couple days off before meeting up back out West to face the Clippers, Nuggets, Blazers, Warriors and Suns to end that 6 game trip. As have stated, the Atlantic division isn't going to be a concern, but this trip could take a bite out of the East lead and on January 5 when this trip is done, Raps could be in 3rd or 4th of the East pecking order. Nuggets are under .500 overall, but usually great at home and on paper that looks like they only game they should be favored in.
Speaking of the East, don't look now, but the Hawks are now 2nd in the East, percentage points ahead of the Wizards, who for most of the game just steamrolled the Mavs. The final ONLY said 105-102 Atlanta, but the last I saw of that, the Hawks were up 22 late in the 3rd and up until probably the 5 minute mark or so, the Hawks lead most of the way by double digits
I was surprised they lost to the Cavs after beating the Warriors and Spurs

Old 12-23-2014, 08:12 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,208,174 times
I think the East is going to be a lot more fun, and competitive, than many pre-season pundits expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball