Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:59 AM

2,781 posts, read 7,213,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
-Wilpons are idiots.
- A Starting rotation anchored by Johan and Holliday would be invaluable.
I know it sounds crazy at first to trade Wright but honestly he has not delievered. He is a soft player like most of this roster. And you could get a Sh*tload for him.
If you say so, but I cant see a team in NY trading the face of their franchise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 02:20 PM

5,165 posts, read 6,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
If you say so, but I cant see a team in NY trading the face of their franchise.
He is tops in the league in strikeouts. He is soft in the big spot. Why is he our Franchise?
What has he done to gain that title?
Seriously?

As he strikes out looking in the bottom of the ninth with 2 on and no out down a run.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:32 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,792,061 times
Quote:
So you would not trade David Wright for Roy Holliday if the Jays fell out of the race? If that was offered to you as a gm and you did not take it you would be fired.

David Wright is a soft hitter. He has not produced as someone with his ability at the plate should when the money is on the table.

Stop delluding yourselves because Wright is a good guy, he has not delivered for this team.
Sorry, but the difference in Wright's AVG can be chalked up to the new dimensions at Citi Field. He's had several shots that fell at the warning track of center field that would have cleared just about any other park. The walss are much higher too. The bullpen is the problem starting with Perez and Pelfrey, two inconsistent pitchers who they should have bartered during the off season.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:30 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,636,314 times
Quote:
It is time to get this team back to playing hard nosed baseball.

In order for that to happen the following actions must take place:

1) Omar Minaya - GONE!
2) Trade Wright Delgado and Beltran for real starting pitchers and young, hungry, hard nosed position players.
---the current roster is filled with players who think they are better then they are. They carry themselves, with their stupid little dances and handshakes, like they have won 3 straight WS. Meanwhile they are a JOKE!
3) Hire Bobby Valentine to manage NOW!!!!!!!!!
4) Get rid of Oliver Perez and Louis Castillo Just put them on a LIRR train to Montauk and get them out.

Please Add or edit as necessary.
Thank you for letting this angry irate Met fan vent.
Wright had a bad April, and his late 2008 wasn't all that great, but you still don't trade that kind of talent. Also, Delgado hasn't been the same player since last year at Yankee Stadium-where he drove in 9 runs. Futhermore, you mush be off your rocker if you think you're trading Beltran. This guy is hitting at or over .400, and is the best offensive player for the Mets. He IS the power bat this team needs.

The Mets are stuck with Perez. We gave him about 3 years with 36 million. I was for Perez sticking to the Mets back in the winter, partly because this team didn't want to go after another big name pitcher. Perez shows you he can't beat the bad teams, but is lights out against the best. Castillo isn't that bad, in fact, dare I say he is on the Met fan good side as of late. He is doing the small things, like getting on base, especially with the bunt. And he has played a good 2B to boot.

I think if the Mets don't make the Post season, it is over for Minaya and the coaching staff. This team has what it takes to go the next level, but they just shown that they don't have the pitching and the bat to go all the way as of yet.

Old 05-01-2009, 09:50 AM

5,165 posts, read 6,056,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkCity0416 View Post
Wright had a bad April, and his late 2008 wasn't all that great, but you still don't trade that kind of talent. Also, Delgado hasn't been the same player since last year at Yankee Stadium-where he drove in 9 runs. Futhermore, you mush be off your rocker if you think you're trading Beltran. This guy is hitting at or over .400, and is the best offensive player for the Mets. He IS the power bat this team needs.

The Mets are stuck with Perez. We gave him about 3 years with 36 million. I was for Perez sticking to the Mets back in the winter, partly because this team didn't want to go after another big name pitcher. Perez shows you he can't beat the bad teams, but is lights out against the best. Castillo isn't that bad, in fact, dare I say he is on the Met fan good side as of late. He is doing the small things, like getting on base, especially with the bunt. And he has played a good 2B to boot.

I think if the Mets don't make the Post season, it is over for Minaya and the coaching staff. This team has what it takes to go the next level, but they just shown that they don't have the pitching and the bat to go all the way as of yet.
This team may have the talent it takes (even that is questionable with starting rotation pitching terribly) but it certianly does not have the guts grit heart and determination. And I do not want to hear a peep about Beltran he is a little girl who will not slide into a base and get his uniform dirty. He is the Symbol of this Met team.

Old 05-01-2009, 03:06 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,619,609 times
Quote:
This team may have the talent it takes (even that is questionable with starting rotation pitching terribly) but it certianly does not have the guts grit heart and determination.
Well, we'll see if that's true come September. If September 2009 plays out like it did in 2008 and 2007, then without doubt you're right.

Old 05-05-2009, 03:23 PM

2,500 posts, read 2,931,255 times
The problem with Minaya, who has made some very good moves and some very bad moves, is that he doesn't multi-task very well.

You can't just address one part of a team because it didn't come through the year before.

Putz and K-Rod are an upgrade, but if you can't give them a lead they can't help the team. This team has left RISP for far too long now for it to be ignored this past winter. This isn't a new problem, and it's not going to be better this year with the same offense just because we want it to be.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:27 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,619,609 times
From the Department of Positive Signs: Oliver Perez banished to the bullpen. OK, he should never have been offered that contract in the first place. But look at it this way: since he isn't capable of going past five innings, the bullpen ought to be a good place for him. He'll never have to worry about staying in a game that long! (Wouldn't it be strange if he turned into a completely dominating reliever? Not that I think it would actually happen...)

Old 05-05-2009, 07:48 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,244,203 times
Omar Minaya is just not a good GM. I mean, he did a great job of deconstructing the Expos back early in this decade, and he's had the Mets stuck in neutral despite inheriting some good talent in the farm system and having some deep-pocketed owners.

Incidentally, the Mets would be crazy to trade David Wright. He's only the best 3rd baseman in the National League.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:06 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,830,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
From the Department of Positive Signs: Oliver Perez banished to the bullpen. OK, he should never have been offered that contract in the first place. But look at it this way: since he isn't capable of going past five innings, the bullpen ought to be a good place for him. He'll never have to worry about staying in a game that long! (Wouldn't it be strange if he turned into a completely dominating reliever? Not that I think it would actually happen...)
Perez needs to be a man and take a demotion to the minors like the Mets want him to. That's a pi$$-poor teammate to refuse an assignment to the minors....he really needs to get sent down to work out whatever issues he's having....he'll still be a detriment to the team coming out the bullpen. Which is OK with me, since I'm a Phils fan.

Getting sent to the minors to work out his problems worked wonders for Brett Myers last year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball