Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 09:36 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,380,644 times

Advertisements

This is the 40-year anniversary of the Amazing Mets of '69. I listened to a lot of games that summer as they overcame the big lead held by the Cubs in August. Some say the Cubs lost because Leo Durocher wore out the pitching staff, but I believe that if the Cubs had won 110 games the Mets would have managed to win 111. It was just meant to be. In postseason they beat the Braves three straight and then defeated a superior Oriole club in 5 games. On the Mets' roster was a 22-year-old reliever named Nolan Ryan who got a save in the pivotal Game 3. It would be his only World Series appearance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 10:08 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,344,280 times
The Mets had a solid pitching staff and a potent lineup. They won because they had the most talent.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
The Mets had a solid pitching staff and a potent lineup. They won because they had the most talent.
They had great pitching including eventual HOFers Seaver and Ryan, but their offense was anemic. The Cubs lineup included Banks, Williams and Santo. They had Fergie Jenkins and Ken Holtzman starting and had a team ERA of 3.34. The Mets' was 2.99. If that season could be replayed I'd pick the Cubs.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
They had great pitching including eventual HOFers Seaver and Ryan, but their offense was anemic. The Cubs lineup included Banks, Williams and Santo. They had Fergie Jenkins and Ken Holtzman starting and had a team ERA of 3.34. The Mets' was 2.99. If that season could be replayed I'd pick the Cubs.
The Cubs were good, too, but I thought the Mets had a lineup like the Phillies and Yankees do now. Everyone could hurt the opponent, either with power or speed. Swoboda, Jones and Kranepool had power, plus Jones and Agee had great speed. I think the Cubs were better defensively; they had the best double play combo in the league at that time with Kessinger and Beckett.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:17 PM

1,990 posts, read 7,635,617 times
Don't forget this too:

Old 10-30-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post
The Cubs were good, too, but I thought the Mets had a lineup like the Phillies and Yankees do now. Everyone could hurt the opponent, either with power or speed. Swoboda, Jones and Kranepool had power, plus Jones and Agee had great speed. I think the Cubs were better defensively; they had the best double play combo in the league at that time with Kessinger and Beckett.
Agee had 26 HRs which equalled the total of any other two hitters on a team that hit only 109 HRs (not much like today's Phils or Yanks). They stole only 66 bases and were caught 43 times. Not much speed either. The club batted .242, the fourth lowest in a 12-team league. I stand by the "anemic" statement.

Old 10-30-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Agee had 26 HRs which equalled the total of any other two hitters on a team that hit only 109 HRs (not much like today's Phils or Yanks). They stole only 66 bases and were caught 43 times. Not much speed either. The club batted .242, the fourth lowest in a 12-team league. I stand by the "anemic" statement.
I tried to agree with you, Ridgerunner, and compliment the Mets in the process. Being from Philly saying anything good about a New York team could get me tarred, feathered and tossed out of PA. For some reason you turned this into a debate, which was not my intention.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:57 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,826,541 times
MLB Network has been playing reruns of the '69 World Series...I've been flipping over to it during commercials during the series. Probably a good option for Mets fans since they probably want to vomit watching a Phillies-Yankees World Series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball