Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 12:21 AM

728 posts, read 1,900,147 times

Advertisements

It's not uncommon to walk through a parking lot and see and hear a car alarm going off. You can sometimes see the car itself with it's lights flashing and all the noise but it's so common now that nobody even notices. These types of alarms are usually the cheap kind that you can get installed for a few bucks at most car audio places. I just don't understand the point of these alarms for a few reasons.

1) Most alarms go off when you are inside someplace so as they are going off the owner has no idea the alarm is going off.

2)Even if someone is actively trying to steal the car and the alarm is going off and you see the thief behind the wheel trying to hot wire the car what is the average witness going to do? Do they think someone with a Batman complex is going to approach the thief and apprehend them while the authorities are called?

3)What about those morons that trigger their own alarms all the time? Example most common is when I go get some gas at a station and the guy is pumping his gas and when he opens his door after he's done there goes the alarm. Why would they arm the alarm while they are just standing at the pump?

4) The worst offender is the oversensitive alarm that goes off in the middle of the night in a residential area. Alarm can get triggered by something as simple as a cat jumping on the hood or another cars deep sounding exhaust or bass. Usually these cars are pieces of junk that are in no threat of ever being stolen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 12:23 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
Why do folks still get car alarms?
Try finding a late-model car that doesn't have a factory alarm as standard equipment.

Old 10-07-2013, 05:38 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
It has been proven that just having an alarm will deter many thieves. Nothing will stop a thief if they want something bad enough but many times they will move on to a car with no alarm

Old 10-07-2013, 06:01 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
Most of the problems in Seattle are smash & grab, where they break a window and take whatever they can find in the car, mostly tourist shopping bags and personal electronics. Alarms won't help because they are in an out so fast. If
someone wants to steal a car they will be able to disable the alarm.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:06 AM

924 posts, read 2,604,571 times
I have an alarm on my car that pages me whenever it goes off so it gives me some peace of mind. I live in a relatively low-crime area so I have it mostly so that when someone dings my car in the parking lot I will know. You may be seeing these annoying alarms go off in parking lots but what if someone was trying to steal the car from your driveway? Then you would probably would know something is up and hopefully it would be enough to deter a thief.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:11 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
A window sticker that says "Manual transmission" would be a good deterrent for some car thieves.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:12 AM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I cannot say that I have encountered hardly any cars with the old fashion, 1990's alarm in them in a long time. Maybe a random car here or there.

Old 10-07-2013, 06:19 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Reasons:

1. Car alarms are bloatware.
2. People are indoctrinated by everything Media teaches them.
3. Media is owned by corporations that market bloatware.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:31 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,290,523 times
People still get car alarms because cars are still being stolen.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:39 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,231,738 times
1. Deterrent. As stated above, if my car has an alarm, and the car next to it doesn't, guess which car a thief is going to break into to steal whatever is in it?

2. Convenience/fun. Both of my vehicles came with "theft deterrent systems". The aftermarket units I installed have several times the remote control range as the factory versions. They also have remote start/windows/all the usual remote stuff. If it starts to rain, I can roll the windows up via remote. I can leave them running but secure and take the key with me when I make a quick stop, such as a bank or convenience store.

3. Ability to tailor the system. I have several adjustments to reduce the falsing, unlike factory alarms. Mine almost never go off.

4. Two way communication. Tells me that the system is armed, triggered, engine running, etc. I'm sure some factory systems do this, but I can put one of these on most any car.

My systems don't chirp on arm/disarm, and don't tell people to step away. The whole point of an alarm system is to keep your stuff intact, so why advertise that there may be something worth stealing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive