Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 07:07 AM

214 posts, read 915,684 times

Advertisements

I am considering getting a perimeter alarm for both of my cars (ok, car and the mighty beast). I am not sure if they are effective enough. I used to park them in a garage but I sould my house 1.5 yrs ago and am now in an apt w/o nearby garages and I have to park it outside.

Apparently my neighbor is terrifed of me b/c he didn't realize that it was one of his neighbors that he cut off w/o a signal & I flashed my lights @ him just for being a jerk. I guess he thought I followed him into the apts to have a few words w/him or whatever. Either way, boy in rice burner w/fart pipe freaked out. He hid and parked 3 buildings away up on a hill (hehehe).

So now, I am concered that he might try to get "even" eventhough all I did was flash my lights. I didn't make a big fuss about it.

If a squirrel is near my car or someone's dog runs nearby, will it set it off?? If he (or anyone) lays a finger on my car - that's when I want it to go off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2009, 08:47 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,380,870 times
Perimeter alarms are fine if you have a pet in the car with the windows open and still want it alarmed. You can turn it off and still use a volumetric alarm for damaging breakins (broken windows, for example). Roswell is mostly urban, isn't it, whereas people ignore alarms. In the rural areas, people will hate you if your alarm goes off. Also, city police departments require alarms to be registered, are frowning on false alarms, and will fine you if they respond more than 2 times. Check with the local police to see what they think. Then decide. (My opinion)

Old 02-01-2009, 10:33 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,701,017 times
Register a car alarm? That's a new one to me....

As far as perimeter alarms go, they work well when calibrated correctly, but that can be difficult to do. You can get an alarm with a shock sensor, which will register the car getting hit, a noise sensor, which will register glass breaking, and a perimeter sensor, which will warn and then alarm for any intrusion into a field - think a bubble of space around the sensor. That bubble of space should stay inside the car, but some people set it to be too big and you end up with squirrels and passerby getting warned or alarmed.

Perimeter sensors are generally used when you have a convertible, Jeep, or other open vehicle to protect against people reaching into the vehicle. If you have a normal car you plan to keep closed, an alarm with just a shock and sound sensor will be fine and will save you the headaches of a perimeter alarm.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:19 AM

625 posts, read 4,570,644 times
Get one with a paging function but don't hook up a siren to it-so you will be notified and catch them in the act.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:10 AM

1 posts, read 18,788 times
hi which car alarms are good for a cabriolet with a electric hood ???

Old 12-21-2009, 09:41 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
One of my neighbors had one of those alarms. Every time I parked (adjoining space) the dumb thing would go off. Never did see them shut it off, and most people ignored the alarm. Maybe not worth it.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:16 AM

3,743 posts, read 13,701,017 times
They have to be set correctly, and most people don't set them well - they are really for monitoring the interior space of the car but people set them to monitor the area around the whole car, so they chirp and go off when people walk by them - highly annoying and it actually gives people more of a reason to vandalize a car.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:21 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,310,493 times
just get LoJack or if that is to expensive go with a really good immobilizer these days car alarm or not if a theif wants your car they will get it and with Lojack the police can track the car and catch them in the act.

Old 12-22-2009, 04:53 AM

4,010 posts, read 10,210,698 times
Forget the alarm and buy some better insurance to cover the losses.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:28 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,990,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracer View Post
hi which car alarms are good for a cabriolet with a electric hood ???
You should start your own thread for your question rather than hijacking someone elses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive