Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2012, 06:18 PM

600 posts, read 1,941,711 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know them? Are they good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2012, 06:24 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,340,218 times
Basic alarms in general are worthless if you need to get one, get one that will send a message to your phone, when was the last time you paid attention to one? If you want real security, install a fuel cut off switch some where, when you leave the car hit the switch(hit it very very well), and the car can not be started. You have to remember if some one wants your car bad enough the will get it. There isnt much out there that will stop a tow truck.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:18 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,337,264 times
Crimestopper is fine, though my preference is Viper. I've had several and installed dozens, and have had only a couple of very minor issues, that were solved with a reset. Installation makes all the difference, in remote range, fewer false alarms, and fewer problems, especially when you get into other functions like remote start, windows, etc. You also need to go over the programming options with the installer. For instance, did you know that the 6 tone siren used on many alarms is programmable to sound different? I seldom hear one that isn't set as it was from the factory.

You should consider why you want an alarm. Bringing attention to your vehicle through arm/disarm chirps, flashing lights, "STEP AWAY FROM THE VEHICLE" warnings, etc., will not work to your advantage. As much as possible, anything worth stealing in my vehicles is hidden, and my alarms are silent until fully triggered. They have remotes that signal if any function tied to the alarm is activated. So if you really want to run out and catch a would-be thief, you'll be able to.

Old 09-22-2012, 08:37 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,241,016 times
Yo all you need is the wireless silent alarm sold at harbor freight for about 15 dollars. The sensor flashes a red light when activated and YOU hear the alarm Not the thief. Then with the advantage of surprise you can go and 'do what you need to do:Place the sensor on the floor of your car.in your garage, any place and it works every time..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive