Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 05:06 PM

307 posts, read 686,550 times

Advertisements

Hell out here they pull up way past the line and cross walk. So it will not change until someone pulls up behind them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 05:08 PM

715 posts, read 1,076,043 times
Here in Chicago and the Chicagoland area, depending on the intersection you're at, getting too close to the line will cause a camera to take a picture of your license plate and a few weeks later you get a ticket upwards to $100 for "running a red light". Good luck proving otherwise.

So unless you are paying in advance for the ticket that will come in the mail, you'll be fine waiting for me to move up on an actual green light.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:22 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,138,216 times
Go and look at some Youtube videos from Russian dash cams, or shots of an intersection in India, and see if you still want to complain about American drivers.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:25 PM

57 posts, read 178,946 times
Its certainly a no brainier I see it all the time its called TEXTING, every time I see a vehicle stopped six to eight feet before a stop line the person mostly female seems to be looking down at something in her hands.When will the roads get safer

Old 05-07-2013, 05:41 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,247,457 times
If I see an 18 wheeler will need room I stay back.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:06 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,278,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Not many people know about those sensors. In fact, not many places have them. They are expensive.
Hmmm I figured everybody knew about the sensors. I mean why would there be a sign saying "Move to the line" (or whatever it says) obviously you move to the line because there is a sensor.

I guess they just don't know.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:08 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,928,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
If I see an 18 wheeler will need room I stay back.
Yep, or if you are on a bus line that turns into your lane it is wise to be pulled back 6' or so. I certainly don't make it a habit to stop 15-20' behind the line but in the city with narrow lanes and big trucks sometimes having that awareness will cause a few of us to plan ahead and either be pulled over to the right side of the lane a bit or behind the line a few feet to let the front corner of a large turning vehicle squeak by.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:18 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,395,539 times
I actually had to get out of my car and walk up to the old lady in the car in front of me and tell her to pull up farther so the sensor would change the signal. She told me "oh no, the light changes automatically anyway". This was after the light had stayed red for two rotations while the other lights turned green around the the intersection.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:40 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,902,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by packer43064 View Post
What is up with these people. If I had a dime every time Joe Blow was 6 feet behind the line at a stoplight I would be a rich man. He sits there for 5 minutes clueless as the light doesn't change and then a "light" must turn on in his brain and he will move forward.

What is up with these people? Brain dead? I would think after you had your car for a month at the least if not years you can tell when to stop at a stoplight and be near the line.

I'm not saying drive until your wheels are to it and your bumper is past it, but at least get close. Ill stop at the line (bumper will be at the line) and I could easily be 5 feet in front of the people beside me!
I've always wondered about that, it doesn't bother me, it just makes me wonder if there is a law that says you need to stay a certain distance behind the crosswalk lines. I know in some cases, at least here in the Phoenix area, there are extra white lines further into the traffic lanes that designate bicycle lanes, so many motorists stop behind them to allow bicyclists to cross the intersection using those lanes.

I don't know about the area you live in, but we have many intersections with cameras that catch red light runners, maybe some of those motorists think by staying far behind the crosswalk lines they won't set off sensors for those cameras.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:10 PM

2,135 posts, read 4,278,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I actually had to get out of my car and walk up to the old lady in the car in front of me and tell her to pull up farther so the sensor would change the signal. She told me "oh no, the light changes automatically anyway". This was after the light had stayed red for two rotations while the other lights turned green around the the intersection.
That's what I'm talking about! If it changes automatically who cares, but if there is a sensor you can't be 6 feet back! I usually give them a swift honk. Half the time they have no clue whatsoever so they just sit there again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive