Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 06:56 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
First, I don't have one. Second, even if I did I wouldn't have to because those numbers have been documented numerous times over the last several model years. Seriously, it's not like this is a matter of opinion or arguable based on differing interpretations of multivariate data. It's a verified, straight-forward fact.

Not with the average driver it is not. It takes a lot of skill to properly launch a car and to shift at the correct time to achieve the numbers that the car mags get. IYou sound like all th ekids with their hondas at Atco who claim that they read their car is in the 13's only to find out they cannot break out of the 15's.. I see it every Friday night. They go home so dejected too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 07:29 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Not with the average driver it is not. It takes a lot of skill to properly launch a car and to shift at the correct time to achieve the numbers that the car mags get. IYou sound like all th ekids with their hondas at Atco who claim that they read their car is in the 13's only to find out they cannot break out of the 15's.. I see it every Friday night. They go home so dejected too
I wasn't going to get into the real world 1/4 mile performance of these cars, but you are right on Frank. The Accords and Altimas that are being talked about here, are NOT race cars let alone drag cars. It comes down to the simple fact that FWD cars are harder to launch and especially hard when they lack a good limited slip diff. The numbers I've seen on these two cars put the Accord at 14.5 and the Altima at 15 flat in the quarter in stock trim. A big reason for the slower quarter despite their horsepower is that they are incredibly hard to launch.

Assuming those were best efforts, you would need to add over 100 horsepower to either platform to get into the 13's, or lose about 1,000 pounds of weight. Given, you can make up a couple tenths on launch and having better tires, but your average Accord/Altima is not easy to get into the the low 13's let alone the high 12's.

The reason these cars pack a punch on the street (according to our G35 owner) is that they are generally going from a roll. Once you eliminate their achilles heel (launching) they can move along pretty well. This is evidenced by the fact that the Altima and G35 share the same engine and similar power output (with early G35's at least). The G is far and away better able to handle and use the power, but that doesn't matter when we are punching it from a 50 roll on the highway.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:26 AM

you are dead on, goat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I wasn't going to get into the real world 1/4 mile performance of these cars, but you are right on Frank. The Accords and Altimas that are being talked about here, are NOT race cars let alone drag cars. It comes down to the simple fact that FWD cars are harder to launch and especially hard when they lack a good limited slip diff. The numbers I've seen on these two cars put the Accord at 14.5 and the Altima at 15 flat in the quarter in stock trim. A big reason for the slower quarter despite their horsepower is that they are incredibly hard to launch.

Assuming those were best efforts, you would need to add over 100 horsepower to either platform to get into the 13's, or lose about 1,000 pounds of weight. Given, you can make up a couple tenths on launch and having better tires, but your average Accord/Altima is not easy to get into the the low 13's let alone the high 12's.

The reason these cars pack a punch on the street (according to our G35 owner) is that they are generally going from a roll. Once you eliminate their achilles heel (launching) they can move along pretty well. This is evidenced by the fact that the Altima and G35 share the same engine and similar power output (with early G35's at least). The G is far and away better able to handle and use the power, but that doesn't matter when we are punching it from a 50 roll on the highway.

Old 09-16-2010, 09:39 AM

3,511 posts, read 5,307,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
I thought this thread was about some young man dying. I ain't gone to get into what car was the fastest.
What is the point of arguing over that?
Some of the previous posts prove that some don't realize that a persons life is more important than the elapsed time or top speed of the vehicles involved.
Priortys to the subject matter are definitely screwed up.
Both young men were wrong in their decision to race on a street. It cost one of them his life.
And all some want to talk about is the individual performance of the cars?
That sure says a lot about those people!!!.
It sure says a lot about the idiots who did this too! Drinking and driving and racing two cars in the triple digits on a crowded street that ARE NOT RACE CARS. At least they didn't kill some innocent person with their foolishness. Do I feel sorry for them? No, I feel sorry for their families getting drug into the middle of it and are the ones who are suffering now. I'm sure it wasn't the first time they did this. You don't just start street racing. You build up to it and get braver and braver and along with that more stupid, careless and take more chances. Sooner or later it will bite you either with a ticket and getting your ride possibly impounded or a accident. That accident , refraise that "negligence" will at least bust up your wheels and cost you some repairs if you live through the ordeal. Racing is one thing but doing it after you have been drinking and in a heavily congested area with speeds in excess of 100 MPH is flat out dumb!

Old 09-16-2010, 02:24 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post

Add 100HP or lose 1,000 pounds to get into the 13s? What nonsense. Here's a video of MotorWeek doing a 13.9 run in a bone-stock Accord, and those bozos barely even know how to drive:

Now, can we put to rest this BS that all Accords are 16-second cars?

Old 09-16-2010, 03:25 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
As a former NHRA licensed Drag racer (Dragster I/D 9.99 Index) I get a chuckle about the bull being thrown on this thread.

Car that reportedly run the 10's and the 8's in the street...give me a break.

NHRA Pro Stock run in the 7's and that is on the track and you guys are gutter talking street racing.

Ok...your talking 10 secs racing...at what distance and what speed. What street car is going 130 mph in the street (marked 1/4 mile) w/o some safety equipment.

Any person with brains and the money to invest in a car capable of 10 secs is NOT stupid to waste his money in a street race...will back up on the statement considering some country farm boys with some cash will do that and run a 100 mph over the farm roads.

I would like to see some (personal/experience) proof other then what a person has read in a mag or what the guy across the street says.

I have run NOS and know what has to be done to the insides (engine builder 28 yrs).

Off track here as the original post is re drag or street racing that went bad.

Had a sales woman come into my shop one time trying to sell me some insurance and when I told her that I Drag Raced in the 1/4 mile she closed her books and said I could not be covered. My answer was that Pro drivers are the safest drivers on the road as we race on the track andf NOT in the street. I mentioned Parnelli Jones as an example.

There are a few Pro drivers on C-D and we all know the true score when it comes to Drag Racing so it's best the unknowledged refrain from making themselves look like idiots with their comments.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
As a former NHRA licensed Drag racer (Dragster I/D 9.99 Index) I get a chuckle about the bull being thrown on this thread.

NHRA Pro Stock run in the 7's and that is on the track and you guys are gutter talking street racing.

Ok...your talking 10 secs racing...at what distance and what speed. What street car is going 130 mph in the street (marked 1/4 mile) w/o some safety equipment.

Any person with brains and the money to invest in a car capable of 10 secs is NOT stupid to waste his money in a street race...will back up on the statement considering some country farm boys with some cash will do that and run a 100 mph over the farm roads.

I would like to see some (personal/experience) proof other then what a person has read in a mag or what the guy across the street says.

I have run NOS and know what has to be done to the insides (engine builder 28 yrs).

Had a sales woman come into my shop one time trying to sell me some insurance and when I told her that I Drag Raced in the 1/4 mile she closed her books and said I could not be covered. My answer was that Pro drivers are the safest drivers on the road as we race on the track andf NOT in the street. I mentioned Parnelli Jones as an example.

There are a few Pro drivers on C-D and we all know the true score when it comes to Drag Racing so it's best the unknowledged refrain from making themselves look like idiots with their comments.
Yep, seasoned mechanic and observer here also. 10 and 8 second cars normally are not street legal with the tires, mods, exhaust, safety equipment needed to get those numbers. Everybody talks about 12 second cars like they are a dime a dozen and chop liver. Steve, myself and others know that is BS. How many of these cars as others stated after all the smack has cleared would be lucky to hit a 15 second 1/4? Give me a break also!

Old 09-16-2010, 04:47 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,929,654 times
I wish to make one additional important point.

A race track is level and smooth for the high speeds that are obtained.

Cars running in the street at over 100 mph 1/4 or no 1/4 are taking a gamble if they hit a dip in the road or are fliped over backwards due to air being scooped up under the car.

Has anyone here really seen a car flip backwards from air under the front end on the track or strip? I have at the strip and the person (woman) walked away thanx to the roll cage and safety equipment required. The car had a new paint job and no pictures but was still a total loss.

My experience has been that as soon as the car crosses the lights it is at it's max speed and is prone for any air to lift the front end...thus the back flip. Seeing is believing.

Check out the NHRA drags and the funny cars. Look at the ground clearance of the body. Even they have been known to back flip...so what street car is doing the 10's and 8's? at way over the 130 etc MPH in street racing?

Old 09-16-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

hereis a mustangs that run in the 8's., street legal, on drag radials, and have stereos.

YouTube - 8 sec street car (twin turbo mustang)

and this is a local street money race. The Malibu runs in the high 8's.
watch and learn....

YouTube - Malibu Wheelies on the Street!

here is my buds 8 second street corvette..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TWJWelh3pg

and throwin in an 8 second supra with ac...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzAflmLPFgg

still don't believe there are 8 second street cars??

Last edited by frankgn87; 09-16-2010 at 05:51 PM..

Old 09-16-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
hereis a mustangs that run in the 8's., street legal, on drag radials, and have stereos.

YouTube - 8 sec street car (twin turbo mustang)

and this is a local street money race. The Malibu runs in the high 8's.
watch and learn....

YouTube - Malibu Wheelies on the Street!

here is my buds 8 second street corvette..

YouTube - Sonnie P running 8's during shake down passes with his Cartek 347 forged motor and F1A Procharger

and throwin in an 8 second supra with ac...

YouTube - Toyota Supra: Joys of driving an 8 second Supra on the street.

still don't believe there are 8 second street cars??
That Fox Body doesn't supprize me. With enough cash it could be possible. I know he must have a minimum of 15K into that engine. Probably in excess of 20K to be more realistic. That is a far cry from a stock Accord and a stock Altima. That isn't even considering everything else in the car. You are looking at some serious cash here. Speed costs, how fast do you wanna go? The average Joe doesn't have the cash or the mechanical aptitude to pull off a build like that. Is it impossible? No, it is not but you don't see them very often unless you are in a location that turns the blind eye to that kind of stuff. The high speed run that kid did in that Supra would have some red and blue lights flashing behind him around here in no time flat for that! They pretty much scared everyone off by using force. You never know WTH they are driving either. A bright red '10 Mustang GT with rims, civilian tags and tinted windows? That would be your mistake. Gotcha sucker when the hidden red and blues flash in the grill and dash! Is it such a bad thing though? Take it to the track!

Last edited by Axle grease; 09-16-2010 at 07:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive