Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 07:03 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,314,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I think some of you are mistaking drag racing for today's street racing. In times go by, you'd find a deserted straight road, find the 1/4 mile mark, and race. "The Fast and Furious" movie street racing is racing across city blocks with high speed turns and running red lights and stop signs. They're taking these front wheel drive cars, some of which with factory brakes and tires, and trying to take corners at high speed as if they're racing in Monte Carlo. If the only people they kill were themselves then it wouldn't bother me. Problem is they kill other drivers or people walking along the side of the road or crossing the crosswalk.
Yeah, that is what makes this just stupid and about as unsafe as you get. All in the same you are "racing" on a public road/street. One way is just dangerous and the other is suicide! Dumb...dumb....dumb!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 07:06 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,175,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
DUI Charge in Driver-Decapitation Accident in New York
Two street racers, one in a Honda Accord and the other in a Nissan Altima. Accord driver lost control and crashed. He lost his head,...literally. The driver of the Altima was arrested and charged with DUI.
Good.

Last I checked it was illegal.

One less moron out there on the streets. Yay.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-14-2010, 07:27 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,151,696 times
What is more dangerous from the numbers getting killed is using a cell phone and texting.. Funny how people know racing will kill you but will argue their "right" to be on the phone. Once dead it does not matter..

Old 09-15-2010, 12:26 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,332,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Good.

Last I checked it was illegal.

One less moron out there on the streets. Yay.

20yrsinBranson
Says the woman who has admitted to street racing -- in no passing zones no less. You've got precious little room to be so smug, but for the grace of God go you -- or the people you bait into racing, which would also have legal repercussions for you.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:40 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,175,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Says the woman who has admitted to street racing -- in no passing zones no less. You've got precious little room to be so smug, but for the grace of God go you -- or the people you bait into racing, which would also have legal repercussions for you.
Apparently, you are smoking crack.

I have never "street raced". I have not, for the past 25 or so years, knowingly exceeded the speed limit. If other people choose to pass me in a passing zone, I MIGHT accelerate to the posted speed limit to discourage them to continue this bad habit, but it is THEY who are breaking the law, not I. In the thread you refer to in your post, I am discussing the "take off" power of my Cadillac Eldorado (i.e. leaving them in a cloud of dust). I do not continue to accelerate once I have reached the posted speed limit.

It imply that I would even consider to do otherwise is a blatant lie. I honor all traffic laws with my heart and soul and have NO COMPASSION WHATSOEVER for anyone who gets into a wreck because the do not. People like that deserve to die.

And before you dig up the post where I said that I text when I drive, let me remind you, that in Missouri, as long as you are over 18, it is not illegal. I do it very rarely, and am very careful about it when I do.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-15-2010, 09:45 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,487,001 times
A race is a race no matter what the car is. You guys are stubborn
In any case, whether it was stupidity or not, it's pretty sad when someone gets killed. If it were your brother, dad or friend would you still say "well he was stupid and deserved it"???
You people can be brutal.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:52 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,906,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I always find it funny when they talk about a street race and then list the cars as an Accord and an Altima...yeah, there's a real race for ya.

I always think same thing. Thats NOT street racing, that drunk driving. Period..

Old 09-15-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
It seems crazy, but a mild build Accord with nitrous which they run generically all over the country will have high 12 and low 13 times. What we would have seen as pretty respectable by 426 hemi Road Runner standards. Of course, you can buy a pretty expensive car today to get into the 11's.

wrong. Show my any accord that runs in the 12's with nos. No other work. No suspension, no slicks, nothing, You have no clue. They are all 16 second cars at best. I see all the crap boxes at Atco that run every weekend.. All the kids sweat their accords run in the 12's and can't crack the 15's.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson1010 View Post
Fortunately for civilians on the streets, I have been out of racing for a very long time. Help me with the 10's. Would those 10 second vehicles reasonably show up on the street?
There is late night street racing going on where the cars run way faster then the 10's around me.. 10's is slow if you are a rear racer..

Old 09-15-2010, 12:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,332,665 times
Quote:
Apparently, you are smoking crack.

I have never "street raced". I have not, for the past 25 or so years, knowingly exceeded the speed limit. If other people choose to pass me in a passing zone, I MIGHT accelerate to the posted speed limit to discourage them to continue this bad habit...
20yrsinBranson
Right. That's so totally plausible. What you really mean by "leav[ing] them in cloud of dust" is that you simply accelerate up to the speed limit. Sell it to someone gullible enough to buy it. In the meantime, I'm going to keep bringing this up every time you wave your smug and smarmy little finger at people who violate traffic laws, because your own violations is one that actually puts others in immediate danger.

Quote:
And before you dig up the post where I said that I text when I drive, let me remind you, that in Missouri, as long as you are over 18, it is not illegal. I do it very rarely, and am very careful about it when I do.
Yes, I'm sure you are. You're the safest texter-and-driver on earth. I suppose you think drunk driving is acceptable too if it's done "very rarely" and the perpetrator is "very careful about it when they do."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive