Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 05:29 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,142,424 times

Advertisements

I think kids have the same amount of common sense just less empty road to use it on. They died back then the same way they die today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 05:32 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,363,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTsLiKeAnEgG View Post
I think kids have the same amount of common sense just less empty road to use it on. They died back then the same way they die today.
agreed just cars are a way safer and alot more kids walk away from accidents they would have died in 20-30 years ago

Old 09-14-2010, 05:36 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,314,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
agreed just cars are a way safer and alot more kids walk away from accidents they would have died in 20-30 years ago
Could be but the thought of not having a airbag or even a seat belt in some cases made you more careful. Oh yeah, no cell phones or any of that jazz either.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:38 PM

5,994 posts, read 20,142,424 times
Quote:
Yes, I agree.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:47 PM

If you wanna run stoplight grandprix 0-50 or 60 something use your own judgment. If you wanna be in the triple digits, take it to the track!

Old 09-14-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
Could be but the thought of not having a airbag or even a seat belt in some cases made you more careful. Oh yeah, no cell phones or any of that jazz either.
I think 3-point seat belts and seats with proper head rests really changed things in the late 70's/80's. because those old 2-point lap belts and half back seats were known to cripple people or put kids head through the windshield or snap their necks and leave them paralyzed.

But yeah things were safer without cell phones even in the mid-late 90's when I first started driving not many people were on their cell phones yapping away not paying attention mostly cause for a 16-17 year old a cell phone was crazy expensive back in the mid-90's.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:52 PM

Quote:
I think 3-point seat belts and seats with proper head rests really changed things in the late 70's/80's. because those old 2-point lap belts and half back seats were known to cripple people or put kids head through the windshield or snap their necks and leave them paralyzed.

But yeah things were safer without cell phones even in the mid-late 90's when I first started driving not many people were on their cell phones yapping away not paying attention mostly cause for a 16-17 year old a cell phone was crazy expensive back in the mid-90's.
Cell phones cause more damn accidents than any street racers both for the young and old. How does one text and drive at the same time? Honk your horn sometime at one. I bet bet they never even saw you?

Old 09-14-2010, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
Cell phones cause more damn accidents than any street racers both for the young and old. How does one text and drive at the same time? Honk your horn sometime at one. I bet bet they never even saw you?
that why I think teens should have a stick shift as their first car. it teachs them how to drive a standard and it makes it hard for them to text and drive and it makes them focus more on the road and more aware of their surroundings.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
that why I think teens should have a stick shift as their first car. it teachs them how to drive a standard and it makes it hard for them to text and drive and it makes them focus more on the road and more aware of their surroundings.
That is all I had! Ain't got time to use the CB when I was shifting!

Old 09-14-2010, 07:00 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,573,865 times
I think some of you are mistaking drag racing for today's street racing. In times go by, you'd find a deserted straight road, find the 1/4 mile mark, and race. "The Fast and Furious" movie street racing is racing across city blocks with high speed turns and running red lights and stop signs. They're taking these front wheel drive cars, some of which with factory brakes and tires, and trying to take corners at high speed as if they're racing in Monte Carlo. If the only people they kill were themselves then it wouldn't bother me. Problem is they kill other drivers or people walking along the side of the road or crossing the crosswalk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive