Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2010, 07:16 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,906,340 times

Advertisements

I know axle.. Can't be done with a fwd car tho. There are 8 second fwd's but they are tube frame cars that most certainly are not street legal. I was just showing the people who don't believe 8 second street cars exist with those vids. Heck, some are on radials, and have air conditioning.. The Malibu dragging the bumper is real street racing in south jersey.(can't say where) for big $$ per run..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 07:28 PM

3,511 posts, read 5,314,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I wish to make one additional important point.

A race track is level and smooth for the high speeds that are obtained.

Cars running in the street at over 100 mph 1/4 or no 1/4 are taking a gamble if they hit a dip in the road or are fliped over backwards due to air being scooped up under the car.

Has anyone here really seen a car flip backwards from air under the front end on the track or strip? I have at the strip and the person (woman) walked away thanx to the roll cage and safety equipment required. The car had a new paint job and no pictures but was still a total loss.

My experience has been that as soon as the car crosses the lights it is at it's max speed and is prone for any air to lift the front end...thus the back flip. Seeing is believing.

Check out the NHRA drags and the funny cars. Look at the ground clearance of the body. Even they have been known to back flip...so what street car is doing the 10's and 8's? at way over the 130 etc MPH in street racing?
That is what the roof flaps are for on NASCAR as well. Every once in a while you see them flip up. Had they not, the outcome could or would have been different. Thank your bacon to Rusty Wallace boys. He took one for the team for ya! He was lucky and walked away with NO ROOF FLAPS!

Old 09-16-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
I know axle.. Can't be done with a fwd car tho. There are 8 second fwd's but they are tube frame cars that most certainly are not street legal. I was just showing the people who don't believe 8 second street cars exist with those vids. Heck, some are on radials, and have air conditioning.. The Malibu dragging the bumper is real street racing in south jersey.(can't say where) for big $$ per run..
About the only thing you can get away with around here anymore is a quick jack rabbit start..... say 0-60 or something. Maybe a little smoke em off action if you are really careful. After you do it you are looking around "s***, I wonder if they saw me"? Your freaking leg shakes for a couple of blocks until you are in the clear. They don't mess around anymore for hot-dogging and since the local strip is always packed because it isn't worth taking a chance of getting caught anymore!

Old 09-16-2010, 08:20 PM

5,228 posts, read 15,316,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle grease View Post
14.2 isn't 12's or 10's tho, is it? lol....
Not the point. NO ONE claimed a stock Altima orr Accord would run 12s or 10s. NO one. All they had to do is post FACTS that they also don't run 16s, as Frank claimed. Maybe those crap drivers he saw ran 16s, but the fact is, a new Accord or Altima V6 will run 13s and 14s with a grandma behind the wheel. It's been done repeatedly, even with average enthusiasts behind the wheel, as that Motorweek vid shows. With traction control and modern drivetrains, you don't have to be all that good to run these cars at their limits (which is why people get in trouble, as they drive to the cars' limits, but WAY past their own).

Quote:
I wish to make one additional important point.

A race track is level and smooth for the high speeds that are obtained.

Cars running in the street at over 100 mph 1/4 or no 1/4 are taking a gamble if they hit a dip in the road or are fliped over backwards due to air being scooped up under the car.

Has anyone here really seen a car flip backwards from air under the front end on the track or strip? I have at the strip and the person (woman) walked away thanx to the roll cage and safety equipment required. The car had a new paint job and no pictures but was still a total loss.

My experience has been that as soon as the car crosses the lights it is at it's max speed and is prone for any air to lift the front end...thus the back flip. Seeing is believing.

Check out the NHRA drags and the funny cars. Look at the ground clearance of the body. Even they have been known to back flip...so what street car is doing the 10's and 8's? at way over the 130 etc MPH in street racing?
Some of you have been hanging around drag cars way too much. It takes a really light, flat bottom car to flip over under about 180 mph if the car is designed right and doesn't have crap 90:10 drag shocks that essentially MAKE the car lift up in the nose at speed. Goods road race type springs and shocks on a 3000+ lb car are not at the risk of flipping that a drag car is. Take it up a notch to an executive sedan and 150+ mph will be like driving your mom's Camry at 70.

I've hit some pretty interesting bumps at 140 in my old V8 RX7 (which was a low 11 second street car with 23" tall street tires, even though it was designed for cornering and braking, not drag racing) and you only heard a thump. There were some wonderful bumps at Seattle International Raceway after they built the concrete launch pad for drag cars on the front straight. The uninitiated could get the car to spin int the wall going over the bumps/track surface changes, but flipping over when driving under about 180 mph wasn't an issue unless the car was REALLY light and/or flat bottomed (see NASCAR).

Old 09-16-2010, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
Not the point. NO ONE claimed a stock Altima orr Accord would run 12s or 10s. NO one. All they had to do is post FACTS that they also don't run 16s, as Frank claimed. Maybe those crap drivers he saw ran 16s, but the fact is, a new Accord or Altima V6 will run 13s and 14s with a grandma behind the wheel. It's been done repeatedly, even with average enthusiasts behind the wheel, as that Motorweek vid shows. With traction control and modern drivetrains, you don't have to be all that good to run these cars at their limits (which is why people get in trouble, as they drive to the cars' limits, but WAY past their own).

Some of you have been hanging around drag cars way too much. It takes a really light, flat bottom car to flip over under about 180 mph if the car is designed right and doesn't have crap 90:10 drag shocks that essentially MAKE the car lift up in the nose at speed. Goods road race type springs and shocks on a 3000+ lb car are not at the risk of flipping that a drag car is. Take it up a notch to an executive sedan and 150+ mph will be like driving your mom's Camry at 70.

I've hit some pretty interesting bumps at 140 in my old V8 RX7 (which was a low 11 second street car with 23" tall street tires, even though it was designed for cornering and braking, not drag racing) and you only heard a thump. There were some wonderful bumps at Seattle International Raceway after they built the concrete launch pad for drag cars on the front straight. The uninitiated could get the car to spin int the wall going over the bumps/track surface changes, but flipping over when driving under about 180 mph wasn't an issue unless the car was REALLY light and/or flat bottomed (see NASCAR).
I still fail to see how a V-6 and a small one at that can run 13's and 14's when not too long ago that was Z-28, SS, 5.0 and 4.6 territory with more horse and torque to boot, not to mention a V-8. Heck, I think my buddy's '03 Mach 1 with the 32V 4.6 DOHC and ram air will only hit high 12's to low 13's. Z-28's and SS Camaros with a LS1 350/ 5.7L can get into the 12's. I'm not buying it!

Old 09-16-2010, 09:37 PM

Ok..... were talking 6's right? I bet this would beat any Honda!

YouTube - MT American Classics Buick Grand National GNX

Old 09-16-2010, 09:52 PM

YouTube - 1987 Buick GNX 223 on Classic Car and Driver Flashback

Old 09-16-2010, 10:01 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,263,077 times
Its a shame... thanks goodness no one else was hurt.

There was a crash here locally a year ago... two guys were racing... one in a late model Mustang, the other in a later model Trans AM. There was a lady in a new Mustang heading across the intersection... she had the green traffic light, but the two cars came barrelling down the road and the other Mustang hit her in the side (her door)going at what they said was 140 mph. She was killed instantly, but the teen in the other car was fine... walked away. The other car didnt hit her, but they charged both drivers with vehicular homicide. Sad for her... she was a young nurse.

Yeah, for as long as I can remember, there have been movies of these racers - but it seemed like it was not as big of a problem now... here is a clip from a 1967 movie that I loved when I was a kid... still a neat movie, but its a good lesson... in the end, the kids terrorizing the family end up crashing when the dad outsmarts them.... they are not badly injured, but it was a lesson learned.

YouTube - Hot Rods to Hell (1967)

Old 09-16-2010, 10:09 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,955,578 times
Street legal is not track legal. Wheres the roll cage?

8.98 is not 8 secs...would call that as being almost pregnant but close to it.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Street legal is not track legal. Wheres the roll cage?

8.98 is not 8 secs...would call that as being almost pregnant but close to it.
And the SFI approved bell housing, flywheel, harmonic dampener.... etc. I am still gassed at the thought of a stock V-6 Honda Accord outrunning or tying some heavily documented very fast cars. Stock VS Stock. These cars I mentioned have years and years of documented performance numbers and have raced at nearly every track in the country. Every one knows it too. That is if you aren't younger than 30? I know you aren't Steve! The rest of ya should know better!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive