Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2022, 05:28 AM

6,432 posts, read 3,137,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
..............Bad situation and unfortunate to have the race end like that. I mean, the entire field just lost control there in 1 when the rain hit.

post rain delay, the race sucked. Before that.. It was really good.

But.. Sudden shower like that.. Not sure what could have been done.
With a track that large, it's a difficult situation, for sure. The sun could be out, and 90*, in turns 3 and 4, but almost a mile away, in turns 1 and 2, it could be pouring rain. I'm just glad that nobody was hurt in the ensuing melee, even though a bunch of equipment got torn up.

I've readily admitted that I've been a Truex fan, for a long time, as he came up through the "east coast, asphalt modified circuit", something I've been a fan of, for about 60 years, and something I readily identify with. I was sorry to see that he got bumped out of the playoffs, by such a small margin, and during the closing laps of the race, I thought that he might have just hung on long enough, to grab more points than Blaney. For Truex, the race was about 3-4 laps too long...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2022, 06:03 AM

5,170 posts, read 6,136,412 times
I am still not to keen on the playoff format and the stages but I realize it can bring about a lot more excitement of teams trying to position themselves to be in the right place at the right times and the tremendous necessity to win the one race to get in the playoffs.

Pretty ironic that after Matt Kenneth’s season was the reason NASCAR figured consistent race finishes and only one win was not what made good racing, a driver can now get in the playoffs with just one win regardless of his performance the rest of the season.

I know you could still get bumped out if you have too many one race winners, but has that happened yet?

Old 08-29-2022, 08:50 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I am still not to keen on the playoff format and the stages but I realize it can bring about a lot more excitement of teams trying to position themselves to be in the right place at the right times and the tremendous necessity to win the one race to get in the playoffs.

Pretty ironic that after Matt Kenneth’s season was the reason NASCAR figured consistent race finishes and only one win was not what made good racing, a driver can now get in the playoffs with just one win regardless of his performance the rest of the season.

I know you could still get bumped out if you have too many one race winners, but has that happened yet?

A winner? No. However, we just had the.. 4th place man in points miss the playoffs.

Old 08-29-2022, 09:13 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
that's racing. I'm not annoyed at that.
You mean: that's plate racing.

Racing in packs is fun to watch due to the skill that is needed to do it. Seeing guys swap lanes at 190MPH, one lane gets better, then bad, it's fun to watch.

We all know that there will be wrecks. I was exhausted watching the Xfininty race (I didn't stay up, I DVR'd it). But all the wrecks frustrated me.

Then it happened again in the Cup. Sucked to see 2/3 of the field gone by the last 20 laps.

So you have one pack that likes plate racing due to the packs. Then another camp that says we shouldn't have plates, but wouldn't that string out the field and make it boring?

And I do have to take a swipe at NASCAR, the premier racing league in the US, can't figure out when to throw a caution due to rain. On twitter, people were texting that it was raining in the stands a lap before the wreck. Those drivers could have been seriously hurt. NASCAR throws cautions when it's lightning miles from the track and waits 30 minutes...crazy.

Old 08-29-2022, 09:46 AM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Championship Contenders:
Chase Elliott
Kyle Larson
Joey Logano
Denny Hamlin
Kevin Harvick
Kyle Busch

Maybes, (If Contenders has bad luck and they have good luck):
Ross Chastain
William Byron
Ryan Blaney
Tyler Reddick

Not going to be Champions:
Christopher Bell
Chase Briscoe
Daniel Saurez
Austin Cindric
Austin Dillon
Alex Bowman

Old 08-29-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Championship Contenders:
Chase Elliott
Kyle Larson
Joey Logano
Denny Hamlin
Kevin Harvick
Kyle Busch

Maybes, (If Contenders has bad luck and they have good luck):
Ross Chastain
William Byron
Ryan Blaney
Tyler Reddick

Not going to be Champions:
Christopher Bell
Chase Briscoe
Daniel Saurez
Austin Cindric
Austin Dillon
Alex Bowman

I'd dump Byron down and move Bell up. That's about the only changes I would make.

Byron has had 1 top 10 since his win at Martinsville in the spring. And that was a 9th place at Sonoma. He had a worse summer than Kyle Busch.

Bell is kinda sneaky. He quietly runs well. But, I think the lack of experience will bite him. Probably makes the top 8, but not the final 4.

Other than that.. Well, honestly, i'd create a level at the top called "presumed champion".. Basically, it's his to lose and the only person in that would be Chase Elliott.

first 4 out.. Dillon, Cindric Briscoe and.. Byron

Second eliminations.. Reddick, Chastain, Suarez and.. Bowman

Final 4.. Elliott, Larson, Logano.. Hamlin.

Champion.. Elliott.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:16 AM

6,432 posts, read 3,137,370 times
Quote:
A winner? No. However, we just had the.. 4th place man in points miss the playoffs.
Yup.....can always count on NASCAR to "fix" what wasn't broken.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
I'd dump Byron down and move Bell up. That's about the only changes I would make.

Byron has had 1 top 10 since his win at Martinsville in the spring. And that was a 9th place at Sonoma. He had a worse summer than Kyle Busch.

Bell is kinda sneaky. He quietly runs well. But, I think the lack of experience will bite him. Probably makes the top 8, but not the final 4.

Other than that.. Well, honestly, i'd create a level at the top called "presumed champion".. Basically, it's his to lose and the only person in that would be Chase Elliott.

first 4 out.. Dillon, Cindric Briscoe and.. Byron

Second eliminations.. Reddick, Chastain, Suarez and.. Bowman

Final 4.. Elliott, Larson, Logano.. Hamlin.

Champion.. Elliott.
well, you certainly would have a better inclination than I do, I don't watch the races and don't know what tracks are forthcoming and drivers' stats at said tracks. Just going on gut feelings. I'm going to say Byron goes deeper than Bowman. I would put Harvick in the final 4 in place of logano or Hamlin, probably Hamlin.

Old 08-29-2022, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
With a track that large, it's a difficult situation, for sure. The sun could be out, and 90*, in turns 3 and 4, but almost a mile away, in turns 1 and 2, it could be pouring rain. I'm just glad that nobody was hurt in the ensuing melee, even though a bunch of equipment got torn up.

I've readily admitted that I've been a Truex fan, for a long time, as he came up through the "east coast, asphalt modified circuit", something I've been a fan of, for about 60 years, and something I readily identify with. I was sorry to see that he got bumped out of the playoffs, by such a small margin, and during the closing laps of the race, I thought that he might have just hung on long enough, to grab more points than Blaney. For Truex, the race was about 3-4 laps too long...
The irony is I bet he wins one now....

Old 08-29-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
well, you certainly would have a better inclination than I do, I don't watch the races and don't know what tracks are forthcoming and drivers' stats at said tracks. Just going on gut feelings. I'm going to say Byron goes deeper than Bowman. I would put Harvick in the final 4 in place of logano or Hamlin, probably Hamlin.

Harvick really hasn't shown me enough. Yes, he won two races. But consistency hasn't been there. He hasn't consistently remained up front. Hamlin hasn't necessarily, either, but he's run far better than he's finished. Hamlin is the Raiders of the NASCAR world. Most penalized team. That's why I put him in. They normally step up in the playoffs.. Until the final 4.

Larson hasn't been strong, but.. He's got the 19 bonus points.

Logano.. Hasn't run bad, and has 25 bonus points.

That's basically how I came up with it.

Hamlin is just.. Gut feeling. I don't think Chastain makes it. I mean, he's going to have half the field gunning for him. Plus, No experience in playoffs.

Quote:
The irony is I bet he wins one now....

Seems we have at least one non-playoff driver win at least one race through the final stretch. Last year it was Bubba, noone in 2020, but Kyle won after he was eliminated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing