Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2008, 11:58 AM

255 posts, read 1,198,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
how interesting! Never knew they eat so differently from Americans.
f1000: I woke this morning thinking about other kinds of Aussie foods that are different from what we have here in the States. I'm making a list as they come to mind and I'll do a separate post. I do know what you mean though, Aussies look like Americans, talk (somewhat) like Americans - at least English, and therefore we assume they're the same. But they're not.

Anyway, back to my list. More later.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:31 AM

In another post, I helped a young mother with some info about fun things to do with children in Sydney. Maybe some of you Australia-lovers might enjoy reading about it too. And they're not just for children. Adults love this too.

"Just riding the ferry across the harbour en route to e.g. the Zoo, or Manly will be a treat in itself. As you leave Circular Quay you get to see the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge from the water view and they're great. I know your children are quite small so the fascination might not last the entire trip!! (It will for you.) I grew up in Sydney. The Aquatic Center at Olympic Park would definitely be best for kids that are no longer small (it takes a while to get there.)

I think kids will totally love the Powerhouse Museum. It's built for kids. Lots of tremendously fun things to do. I would say it's a must. If your children were a bit older I would suggest a visit to Fort Denison which is on an island in the middle of the Harbour. It was called Pinchgut as well - since it started as a goal but they do have tours which might be interesting to the children but again they are still small and something more physical might be more interesting.

While you're at Darling Harbour though, it would be really fun for the children to ride the monorail. It gives a great view of the area. And then there is Sega World. It's a fantastic theme park that will keep the children entertained totally. And then there is the Sydney Aquarium at Darling Harbour as well. A great place for children. Check all these out online.

I think that Taronga Zoo would be a winner too. They will probably love seeing koalas and kangaroos. There is a building project underway but I think you could probably still get there by ferry. I can't remember if trains from North Ryde stop at Circular Quay which is where you get ferries or if you have to change trains at Central Railway Station. I hope you have friends who can help you there with train and ferry timetables. The bus system is also fantastic so that might be a way for you to get around as well from where you'll be staying.

Whatever you do, there are truly tons of activities that should keep you (and the children) going for quite a while. Enjoy your stay!"

Sydney is a great city with tons of things to do for everyone. Maybe I'll do another post with stuff like "Bridge Climb", a tour of the Opera House, Darling Harbour, etc.

Old 02-19-2008, 04:40 PM

991 posts, read 1,779,501 times
Just to clarify that although the Olympic precinct is a ghost town it is not actually that far out of the city - its actually east of the current center of Sydney's population which means that it is closer to the city than most people live. There is a train service that while not convenient is doable from Ryde - North Ryde there may be a bus service - its actually only about 10 minutes away from North Ryde by car.

Another thing you may look at doing if you decide to go to the Aquarium is that the Reptile Park is right next door. Also there is Luna Park - an amusment park of sorts which would be great for children the age described in the post. Also for tourists it is right on the harbour underneath the bridge.

You and the children may also like the Australian museum which is in the Sydney central business district and then you may leave the kids with the hubby while you decide to take a relaxing stroll through the NSW Art Gallery which is nearby.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:45 AM

104 posts, read 453,214 times
what are you talking about homebush takes alot more time then that go there in peak hour about 20-30 at least

Old 02-20-2008, 06:16 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,774,690 times
Hello there Aussiegal. I'm so glad to meet you...er...find you! Your open invitation to all of us to ask questions about Australia is very wonderful and generous of you. Let me thank you in advance, before I ask my question (I'll have others, but this is an immediate, pressing one).

Is there a website or a link to somewher that I can read up on what the law says are the responsibilities of a solicitor handling the estate of a deceased when there is a will?

Thanks again! (Send me a pm if you prefer to reply privately, since this is such a specific question that may not be of general interest to everyone)

Old 02-20-2008, 11:38 PM

Hi there, Southward Bound. I am sending you a Direct Message with what I found for you. All the best.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:14 AM

2,114 posts, read 4,940,692 times
Question: You are all inbreed criminals who spend their lives drunk jaxifing in animals "pouches". True or False.

Nah, jk. You'r cricket team is gangster, you mutant motherlovers.

OI OI OI

Old 02-21-2008, 12:12 PM

991 posts, read 1,779,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
Hi there, Southward Bound. I am sending you a Direct Message with what I found for you. All the best.
I am sure you have provided appropriate links but the OP should be sure that he/she checks the state that he/she will be conducting the estate process under. Much like the US - wills and estates law in Australia is state based.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
I am sure you have provided appropriate links but the OP should be sure that he/she checks the state that he/she will be conducting the estate process under. Much like the US - wills and estates law in Australia is state based.
Thanks, Nugget. Just what I told Southward Bound.

Old 02-21-2008, 04:53 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,774,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugget View Post
Thanks, Nugget, and aussiegal - I'm aware of that. It's NSW we're dealing with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand