Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 07:57 PM

255 posts, read 1,196,161 times

Advertisements

Everywhere I go in the US, as soon as I open my mouth, people realize I was born somewhere else. Many people guess correctly, but some think England. That's OK. It's a great country too. And my roots are there on my great-great grandparents side.

Anyway, once they know I'm an Aussie, the next thing people say is that they have always wanted to visit there.

So, if you have questions about Australia and need some great advice about where to go and what to see, here's your chance, ask away!

Old 11-16-2007, 02:54 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,639,758 times
I was wondering whether Aboriginal people are nowadays more integrated in Australian society and what kind of land rights they have. As an Archaeologist/Anthropologist I find their culture fascinating and find it so sad that they often seem relegated to second class citizens as a lot of Natives worldwide are. Does the Aboriginal population still suffer from higher incidence of suicides, alcoholism , and poverty as do the Native Americans in the US for example ?

I was shocked a few years ago to discover that until 1967 Aboriginals' status was under the Flora and Fauna' act.

How well perceived is their culture nowadays in mainstream Australian society?

Old 11-16-2007, 10:50 AM

10 posts, read 46,791 times
Do you know if ther is a need for Spanish teachers in Australia? I always thought it would be cool to live there for a while...I imagine that visas are difficult to procure down there...

Old 11-16-2007, 01:38 PM

122 posts, read 347,276 times
I would ask you about Australia, but I've been there many times on business, love it. So far have been to Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, and Darwin. And Cape Grim, Tasmania ! Maybe love Melbourne the best. Would love to go back, if I ever find someone nice to travel with.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:05 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,152,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
Everywhere I go in the US, as soon as I open my mouth, people realize I was born somewhere else. Many people guess correctly, but some think England. That's OK. It's a great country too. And my roots are there on my great-great grandparents side.

Anyway, once they know I'm an Aussie, the next thing people say is that they have always wanted to visit there.

So, if you have questions about Australia and need some great advice about where to go and what to see, here's your chance, ask away!
I hear lots of things about how scary the native spiders and snakes are. Do you know anyone who has ever been bitten by one of those funnel web spiders or something equally scary?

Old 11-18-2007, 01:27 AM

5,054 posts, read 6,903,073 times
^^ many spiders are infact large and scary here! As I type, I have a big fat black spider outside my window, about 5cm including legs. One of the most common species is the Huntsman, which can grow up to 15cm including legs! ANother annoying critter is the White Tail, while these are pretty small, they are poisonous and an almost daily sight in my house in summer.

Many Ants here are shocking aswell, lots of big bull-ants, I've seen ones that are maybe 2.5cm in length.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:39 PM

63 posts, read 194,815 times
My cousin did a cultural exchange in Oz back in the late 90s...

Is it still fashionable for young guys to wear really short shorts??

Old 11-24-2007, 03:27 AM

3 posts, read 8,875 times
Is getting work and student visas hard for an high school graduate with interest in law studies?
I would love to move to Darwin, NT and study in Charles Darwin university . Does that give me any advantages in gaining visas?
How high is the cost of living in Darwin compared to the rest of Australia? And how are the people there? Are they friendly?

Old 11-25-2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eriquito80 View Post
Do you know if ther is a need for Spanish teachers in Australia? I always thought it would be cool to live there for a while...I imagine that visas are difficult to procure down there...
Eriquito80, Hi there: I truly didn't know that Aussie kids are learning Spanish these days so I went to this website and hey presto! It appears they do! Hope it gives you the info you asked for. All the best if you make it to Oz.
Australian.Teachers.Net - THE AUSTRALIAN TEACHER WEBSITE! Teacher chatboards & teacher chat rooms, lesson plans and teaching tools, teacher job listings and career resources, reference desk and curriculum tools, everything for the on-line teacher!

Old 11-25-2007, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
Is getting work and student visas hard for an high school graduate with interest in law studies?
I would love to move to Darwin, NT and study in Charles Darwin university . Does that give me any advantages in gaining visas?
How high is the cost of living in Darwin compared to the rest of Australia? And how are the people there? Are they friendly?
Dave04: when I don't know the answer to questions, I know where to go to find out. So here is a link to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship and it should give you all the info and more that you need to get a visa to study in Australia.

Department of Immigration and Citizenship

I don't know if it will be an advantage for you to get into Australia because you'll be studying there but I knew someone from when we lived in Wisconsin and their daughter was studying at the Charles Sturt Uni on the Gold Coast in Queensland, so it is possible.

I haven't been to Darwin since (dare I admit it?) 1975 - but as I happened to mention to my husband just a couple of days ago, that was one of the funnest times of my life. I was there 3 months and absolutely loved it. I knew people there so I didn't have to go out and make friends per se. But, I did find people very nice and friendly. I guess they have to be because it is so remote and they only have each other. But on the whole, you'll find Aussies friendly wherever you meet them. I did find the cost of living to be somewhat highter than home (Sydney). Can't say for sure now, but when I was home last year, even given the difference in exchange rates, I found Australia to be expensive. All the best with your plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand