Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 03:51 PM

72,542 posts, read 18,257,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
Melbourne is a great place to be from. I have lived there on and off over the years and maybe you remember that you can have the four seasons in one day. You just have to be prepared. I have lots of great memories too of my times there. And yes, Aussie school children still wear uniforms. It's a great way to go.

And you're in real estate too! It's a great profession isn't it. I love the connections we can have all over the world. Maybe you can get to go back to Australia sometime soon. There are lots of great things to see and do.
You are not in Australia are you? When are you going back?

Old 01-31-2008, 08:35 PM

255 posts, read 1,198,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
You are not in Australia are you? When are you going back?
No, I live in Washington state. And we're going back next year - our whole family, kids, spouses, new baby and all. The children haven't been back for quite a while so it will be fun for them to go to familiar places, eat familiar food and enjoy some new things to do as well, e.g. snorkel at the Great Barrier Reef, experience the Tramcar Restaurant in Melbourne, climb the Sydney Harbour bridge and lots more. We have family and friends all over so it's making it difficult to fit it all into our timeframes.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
No, I live in Washington state. And we're going back next year - our whole family, kids, spouses, new baby and all. The children haven't been back for quite a while so it will be fun for them to go to familiar places, eat familiar food and enjoy some new things to do as well, e.g. snorkel at the Great Barrier Reef, experience the Tramcar Restaurant in Melbourne, climb the Sydney Harbour bridge and lots more. We have family and friends all over so it's making it difficult to fit it all into our timeframes.
That's wonderful that you are all going back. take pictures

Old 02-05-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
That's wonderful that you are all going back. take pictures
I always do. And maybe that would be a good thread to start. People's favourite photos of Australia? Of course that kind of leaves out those people who haven't been yet. Maybe it will give them incentive to go?

Old 02-05-2008, 08:49 PM

1,574 posts, read 5,143,274 times
What foods do Australians eat that we are not as likely to eat in America? Likewise, what do we like to eat that they don't tend to eat there?
Also, what kinds of groceries/ foods/ snacks do you miss that you can't access here? And are there lots of American foods that one can't find in Australia?
How about what people in New Zealand, do they eat like Australians?

Old 02-06-2008, 12:55 AM

104 posts, read 453,214 times
we eat lots a lamb chops, roast lamb

Old 02-06-2008, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1000 View Post
What foods do Australians eat that we are not as likely to eat in America? Likewise, what do we like to eat that they don't tend to eat there?
Also, what kinds of groceries/ foods/ snacks do you miss that you can't access here? And are there lots of American foods that one can't find in Australia?
How about what people in New Zealand, do they eat like Australians?
Great questions. The number one all-time favourite for Aussies would be lamb in any form. We ate tons of lamb chops and legs of lamb. My mother usually grilled the lamb chops (broiled) and baked the legs of lamb in the oven. She also made lamb curry with the leftovers, we ate lamb sandwiches and a zillion different ways of using left overs. Sausages would also be something that lots of Aussies eat. They aren't like the American sausage (Jimmy Dean etc.). They're rather bland but we loved them best when we BBQ'd them. You can also put one in a slice of bread and top it with tomato sauce (ketchup). Yum-O.

There are really lots of foods that we eat there that Americans don't besides lamb and sausages. Meat pies would be high on the list. They're just small like the Banquet potpies but high on flavour and absolutely wonderful. You buy them at cakeshops(bakeries) hot-bread shops, etc. Sausage rolls are also a hot item. You buy them at the same place. They're just small - about the size of an egg-roll, but made from puff pastry with ground sausage inside and baked. Then there are rissoles, kind of like a hamburger patty but with grates veges inside.

On the cake side, wedding cakes were traditionally made from fruitcake which is also big at Christmas, as are mince pies (made from fruitmince). Pavlova is another favourite. It's made in the shape of a pie from meringue, then baked. The center is shallow and it's usually filled with cream and fruits of all kinds.

And then there is Vegemite. I actually prefer the slightly sweeter kind called Promite, but it's all a yeast extract that Americans say looks like tar. But it's salty and not chocolate as some have found as they slathered it on bread or toast.

Kiwis (New Zealanders) tend to eat similarly to us Aussies. My grandfather was from Arrowtown in New Zealand.

American foods that we eat but which I don't think you'd find there in nearly the variety and quantity that we have here would be BBQ ribs, prime rib, salmon, spaghetti, burritos, tacos. You can buy fast food Mexican but it's out of a can. We like muffins, bagels with cream cheese, pancakes, etc. for breakfast. But Aussies don't usually like sweet stuff for breakfast. In fact, Aussie bread is less sweet than our American kind. And I'm almost certain Aussies don't eat donuts for breakfast - or maybe it's just me.

As for what foods I can't access here, it's become a Christmas tradition for my kids to give me Aussie food. There's a great food store online here in Washington state and they have it all: e.g. custard powder, Promite, Tim Tam biscuits (cookies), Monte Carolo biscuits, Solo lemon soda, Bundaburg ginger beer, jellies (jello), candies like Fantales (chocolate covered caramels), and oodles more. So although I can't actually go grocery shopping for Aussie foods, I occasionally get a taste of some.

And likewise, I'm sure there are tons of American foods that you can't find over there. I know one of the most perplexing problems I had when I first came to the States was going into a grocery store, bursting into tears because there was nothing I recognized and then leaving not having bought anything. My amazingly perceptive new husband was very supportive and I gradually came to the place where I was impressed with all the varieties of foodstuffs that were available. Food is one of the most crucial differences between people. It's also very cultural. I can totally empathise with new settlers who come here.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:10 PM

To tell you the truth aussiegal, I really miss the vegemite. I can't believe it's still going strong! Whenever I go to Australia, that is the first thing to have! that was what I had almost every day when I was a child there

Old 02-07-2008, 12:41 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,143,274 times
how interesting! Never knew they eat so differently from Americans.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:53 AM

Quote:
To tell you the truth aussiegal, I really miss the vegemite. I can't believe it's still going strong! Whenever I go to Australia, that is the first thing to have! that was what I had almost every day when I was a child there
Fantastic! I also ate it as a child and growing up. It's only recently that I've switched to Promite. Aussies eat it as you may remember when you're sick or feeling down. It's kind of like chicken noodle soup for Americans!! Isn't it amazing what foods do for us. They trigger memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand