Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 12:20 AM

255 posts, read 1,198,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I hear lots of things about how scary the native spiders and snakes are. Do you know anyone who has ever been bitten by one of those funnel web spiders or something equally scary?
You know, I am equally afraid of spiders and snakes. But during a College vacation, I had a job as the representative for a pest control company for their display in a local mall in Sydney. The displays were of funnel web spiders and snakes. If there was ever a mismatch, it was that one. (The things some people do for money!) I am so afraid of spiders that I can't even touch a photo of one. Well, I was standing beside the displays one day talking to someone when a man called out to me: "hey, lady, one of your snakes is escaping". And sure enough, it was about a foot out of the display. Fortunately the displays were vertical rather than horizontal and I just hit it on the head with a booklet I was holding and it went back into it's space. That was the day I quit! No, I haven't known anyone who ever got bitten but Australia does contain about 10 of the most deadly beasties on the planet. So, what's holding you back from visiting?

Old 11-25-2007, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bels7 View Post
I would ask you about Australia, but I've been there many times on business, love it. So far have been to Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane, and Darwin. And Cape Grim, Tasmania ! Maybe love Melbourne the best. Would love to go back, if I ever find someone nice to travel with.
I'm so glad that you've had the opportunity to visit my homeland so many times. It is quite wonderful, even if I say so myself. I too have been to or lived in all of those places except for Tassie. And I have a dear friend who lives there so on my trip home next year, I will hopefully get to visit her too. You should go back. You need to visit some more places like Perth, Cairns and Alice Springs/Uluru. It's a big country as you know and there is tons of amazing stuff to see and experience.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by §AB View Post
^^ many spiders are infact large and scary here! As I type, I have a big fat black spider outside my window, about 5cm including legs. One of the most common species is the Huntsman, which can grow up to 15cm including legs! ANother annoying critter is the White Tail, while these are pretty small, they are poisonous and an almost daily sight in my house in summer.

Many Ants here are shocking aswell, lots of big bull-ants, I've seen ones that are maybe 2.5cm in length.
It's a wonder we ever get people to visit isn't it! Yet when I was growing up in Sydney, I never saw anything remotely creepy. I lived in great ignorance for a large part of my young life.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhassler View Post
My cousin did a cultural exchange in Oz back in the late 90s...

Is it still fashionable for young guys to wear really short shorts??
Even though I was home last year, I can't remember whether they did or didn't. I know what shorts you're talking about. I was home in winter (there) and even when I was in Cairns and other parts of Queensland, I wouldn't have been surprised to see them. It was and could still be part of Aussie culture.

Old 11-25-2007, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I was wondering whether Aboriginal people are nowadays more integrated in Australian society and what kind of land rights they have. As an Archaeologist/Anthropologist I find their culture fascinating and find it so sad that they often seem relegated to second class citizens as a lot of Natives worldwide are. Does the Aboriginal population still suffer from higher incidence of suicides, alcoholism , and poverty as do the Native Americans in the US for example ?

I was shocked a few years ago to discover that until 1967 Aboriginals' status was under the Flora and Fauna' act.

How well perceived is their culture nowadays in mainstream Australian society?
I purposefully left your post for last because it is something that had me pondering. It's not exactly what I was looking for when I invited questions, but it's definitely valid, especially given your background in anthropology. I too have done some anthropology field work in Indonesia and I know quite a lot about Aborigines and their background and culture. I've seen them in Central Australia and Cairns and met some in Sydney and Darwin. Some are very fine people, just as there are some very fine white people.

I have had friends who worked with Aboriginal people so I know a lot about the struggles and few of the joys.

I think to get a more scholarly account of where Aborinal culture is today you would have to research at a University Library. I know that it is so appalling that until very recently as you mentioned they were considered "flora and fauna". One can hardly believe that mentality, except that I grew up under the White Australia Policy so that explains a lot.

As to whether they are more integrated into Australian society, even though I don't really know the answer in a general way, I certainly have not seen any Aboriginal folks as I walked down the main streets of Sydney. One would have to visit the suburb where they tend to live to see them in an urban setting. (If anyone else has anything more specific to share on this thread, please do so. I am very interested and would love to have some other Aussie's opinions and comments.)

I think the most that people know about Aborigines or perceive their culture is when they visit a typical tourist site, be it Uluru in Central Australia, or Cairns, or Darwin, etc. They buy the artifacts and that is probably their only contact with our original settlers.

I truly don't know about land rights but I think that this present climate might be more condusive than in years past to give them what is their right since we took it away from them in the first place. But I don't know.

And yes, I have seen the alcoholism and poverty first hand but I don't know about suicides. It seems that hopelessness is a breeding ground for abandonment of reason and will to live. I too think that it is a very complex and sad situation and yet some are rising above it.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:18 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,183,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
You know, I am equally afraid of spiders and snakes. But during a College vacation, I had a job as the representative for a pest control company for their display in a local mall in Sydney. The displays were of funnel web spiders and snakes. If there was ever a mismatch, it was that one. (The things some people do for money!) I am so afraid of spiders that I can't even touch a photo of one. Well, I was standing beside the displays one day talking to someone when a man called out to me: "hey, lady, one of your snakes is escaping". And sure enough, it was about a foot out of the display. Fortunately the displays were vertical rather than horizontal and I just hit it on the head with a booklet I was holding and it went back into it's space. That was the day I quit! No, I haven't known anyone who ever got bitten but Australia does contain about 10 of the most deadly beasties on the planet. So, what's holding you back from visiting?
Eh...I'm afraid of flying and it's very expensive! Thanks for answering my question though. Australia does seem to be a very stark and beautiful country.

Old 11-25-2007, 11:44 PM

13,026 posts, read 24,720,311 times
Quote:
I purposefully left your post for last because it is something that had me pondering. It's not exactly what I was looking for when I invited questions, but it's definitely valid, especially given your background in anthropology. I too have done some anthropology field work in Indonesia and I know quite a lot about Aborigines and their background and culture. I've seen them in Central Australia and Cairns and met some in Sydney and Darwin. Some are very fine people, just as there are some very fine white people.

I have had friends who worked with Aboriginal people so I know a lot about the struggles and few of the joys.

I think to get a more scholarly account of where Aborinal culture is today you would have to research at a University Library. I know that it is so appalling that until very recently as you mentioned they were considered "flora and fauna". One can hardly believe that mentality, except that I grew up under the White Australia Policy so that explains a lot.

As to whether they are more integrated into Australian society, even though I don't really know the answer in a general way, I certainly have not seen any Aboriginal folks as I walked down the main streets of Sydney. One would have to visit the suburb where they tend to live to see them in an urban setting. (If anyone else has anything more specific to share on this thread, please do so. I am very interested and would love to have some other Aussie's opinions and comments.)

I think the most that people know about Aborigines or perceive their culture is when they visit a typical tourist site, be it Uluru in Central Australia, or Cairns, or Darwin, etc. They buy the artifacts and that is probably their only contact with our original settlers.

I truly don't know about land rights but I think that this present climate might be more condusive than in years past to give them what is their right since we took it away from them in the first place. But I don't know.

And yes, I have seen the alcoholism and poverty first hand but I don't know about suicides. It seems that hopelessness is a breeding ground for abandonment of reason and will to live. I too think that it is a very complex and sad situation and yet some are rising above it.

Thank you AussieGal, a thorough, intelligent and considered response. I couldn't have asked for more !

I am always curious about how Aboriginals in all societies and modern Nations fare, it seems most of them even nowadays with better land rights and better cultural understanding still are the "forgotten" voices. I find it sad and depressing. The Maori in NZ might be more of an exception maybe, I found their culture still very vibrant and strong as I did with the First Nations on the Pacific Coast in Canada.

Old 11-27-2007, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Thank you AussieGal, a thorough, intelligent and considered response. I couldn't have asked for more !

I am always curious about how Aboriginals in all societies and modern Nations fare, it seems most of them even nowadays with better land rights and better cultural understanding still are the "forgotten" voices. I find it sad and depressing. The Maori in NZ might be more of an exception maybe, I found their culture still very vibrant and strong as I did with the First Nations on the Pacific Coast in Canada.
Mooseketeer, I know I am philosophising here, but I also find the situations of original inhabitants sad and depressing. I believe that in Australia in the 1800s, folks went out for a Sunday afternoon picnic and the highlight was to see how many aborigines the men could kill. When I first travelled around the U.S. I found it very sad to see the native American folks drunk in the gutter in a certain town in New Mexico, just as I've seen Aborigines in Alice Springs in the same situation. I know that people are afraid of what they don't understand and I truly don't know how one could reconcile people or bring commonality with two races who are so vastly different. Those in the mainstream of Australian society (as opposed to the Aborigines who live on settlements) have no interaction I would say with any Aborigines. I wonder how many urban Australians have even seen an Aborigine since of course, their settlements are in rural areas, usually on the outskirts of town so that one drives past without ever really knowing they are there. And I would agree about Maori folks in New Zealand. They appear to be much more integrated into New Zealand society, although many of them still hold to their old traditions.

One of the problems as I understand it from my friends who have worked with Aborigines over the years is that when attempts were made to provide "white man's" housing for them, family units were squashed into too small a house and the cultural taboo of men not being within....feet of their mothers-in-law was broken down. That's one example that has stuck in my mind over the years where people who don't understand culture have imposed impossible conditions on folks who couldn't speak for themselves or request what would be culturally acceptable. I also believe there is no quick fix. As friends of ours who worked with Native Americans in New Mexico said, two wrongs don't make a right. But my heart truly aches for these people who are present but appear to be invisible.

Old 11-27-2007, 04:37 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,720,311 times
Quote:
Mooseketeer, I know I am philosophising here, but I also find the situations of original inhabitants sad and depressing. I believe that in Australia in the 1800s, folks went out for a Sunday afternoon picnic and the highlight was to see how many aborigines the men could kill. When I first travelled around the U.S. I found it very sad to see the native American folks drunk in the gutter in a certain town in New Mexico, just as I've seen Aborigines in Alice Springs in the same situation. I know that people are afraid of what they don't understand and I truly don't know how one could reconcile people or bring commonality with two races who are so vastly different. Those in the mainstream of Australian society (as opposed to the Aborigines who live on settlements) have no interaction I would say with any Aborigines. I wonder how many urban Australians have even seen an Aborigine since of course, their settlements are in rural areas, usually on the outskirts of town so that one drives past without ever really knowing they are there. And I would agree about Maori folks in New Zealand. They appear to be much more integrated into New Zealand society, although many of them still hold to their old traditions.

One of the problems as I understand it from my friends who have worked with Aborigines over the years is that when attempts were made to provide "white man's" housing for them, family units were squashed into too small a house and the cultural taboo of men not being within....feet of their mothers-in-law was broken down. That's one example that has stuck in my mind over the years where people who don't understand culture have imposed impossible conditions on folks who couldn't speak for themselves or request what would be culturally acceptable. I also believe there is no quick fix. As friends of ours who worked with Native Americans in New Mexico said, two wrongs don't make a right. But my heart truly aches for these people who are present but appear to be invisible.

I know exactly what you mean and agree 100%.
If you are interested in Tribal rights by the way, I am a volunteer and supporter of
Survival International | The movement for tribal peoples ( I'm sure you already know of it) and read the magazine and website for "Cultural Survival" :
Cultural Survival

Both are fascinating sources of current affairs news relating to Tribes around the world.
If you haven't seen it I would also recommend BBC2 Programme "Tribe" with Bruce Parry ( wonderful , sometimes poignant and very funny too) and the Channel 5 "return of the tribe" when a Tribe from Papua New Guinea came to the UK after a UK journalist had spent time in their village. Their insight into our own modern Western Culture was wonderful , priceless , incredibly savvy and pretty spot on !

I find it incredibly sad and depressing that we seem unable to understand our Cultural differences and that our colonising and imperialism have reduced wonderful societies to being virtually less than human and of no interest to us at all.

The social statistics for tribal people in various societies are incredibly telling of our impact on their Culture . They have mostly become "ghosts" , forgotten voices and I just wish we as the winning side could have at least preserved their dignity and recognised the richness of their Cultures and Civilisations. Like all extinct species "Extinct is forever" and we are losing so many wonderful traditions, mores and ways of thinking as well as art,languages, storytelling, music by our "bulldozing" of Tribes which most still consider "primitive". It makes me weep.

The richness of our humanity has fast eroded away and is being lost in our sadly successful attempt to homogenise everything and we are becoming so alike and bland it's downright scary.

Our shared humanity should have meant a deeper respect and more profound understanding of "other" ways but it seems conquest means cultural annihilation too...

I hope one day to visit Australia , especially as I have a strong interest in Parietal Art and Aboriginal Art is superb.
Did you see the movie "the Rabbit Proof Fence "? It was absolutely wonderful , gut wrenching, poignant and so , so sad...
I haven't see "Ten Canoes" yet but it sounds great.

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 11-27-2007 at 04:51 AM..

Old 11-27-2007, 10:56 PM

12 posts, read 40,499 times
Quote:
Everywhere I go in the US, as soon as I open my mouth, people realize I was born somewhere else. Many people guess correctly, but some think England. That's OK. It's a great country too. And my roots are there on my great-great grandparents side.

Anyway, once they know I'm an Aussie, the next thing people say is that they have always wanted to visit there.

So, if you have questions about Australia and need some great advice about where to go and what to see, here's your chance, ask away!
I've traveled to Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane.

Why do Aussies think they're so damned superior to Americans?

By the way, the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Sydney Opera House are overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand