Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 10:40 PM

339 posts, read 1,173,202 times

Advertisements

hi tkdmom, sorry to jump in on Aussiegals turf (I'm just jealous that she gets more questions than me )...I've also lived in Oz and my husband (an American) had to get residency in order to stay permanently. He luckily was sponsored by his employer but I know that if you go in on the points system it can be very tough...perhaps tougher than NZ. Have a look on the Migrants - Visas & Immigration website. It's worth noting that there is a list of skills that australia is in need of which gets you extra points...and they aren't always ones that require a number of degrees. For example when my husband was applying they needed hairdressers, bakers and air-conditioner service people. Kind of random. Worth checking out though. A few years ago they would give you extra points if you invested a specific amount of money with the gov i.e. $100K or something. Good Luck!

Old 04-03-2008, 05:32 PM

255 posts, read 1,199,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Thanks for the reply anyway!

On another subject - do you know somewhere nice for gift-type food items in Melbourne that might deliver? I would like to send her something to try and cheer her up a tiny bit
What a lovely idea. Here is a link that might be worth following:

Gift Baskets, Gourmet Hampers, Baby Gift Baskets, Corporate Gifts

They deliver anywhere in Australia and seem to have lots to offer. It all looks great. Let me know if you use them so that I can tuck that bit of info away for the future.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
D'accord.

Merci beaucoup, Aussiegal!

Je suis indonésien. C'est pour ça que j'ai demandé.

Cheers!
Baik, baik sadja.

Old 04-03-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkdmom View Post
Hi Aussiegal, Is it as hard to emigrate to Austrailia as it is to New Zealand. I was asking questions on another thread about NZ, and realize there are so many things you have to do to get into the country. I was just wondering if Australia has the same rules on emigrating foreigners ? Just curious ! Thanks !
I get lots of questions about emigrating to Australia and hkgal gave you the same website that I've given before. Used to be that to emigrate you had to prove that no other Australian citizen could do the same job that you were applying to do. Things have changed but it's redundant to repeat what you can get from the horse's mouth, so to speak. So go ahead and visit the website: Professionals and other Skilled Migrants - Workers - Visas & Immigration and see for yourself. Enjoy!

Old 04-04-2008, 11:06 PM

10,271 posts, read 16,105,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal View Post
Everywhere I go in the US, as soon as I open my mouth, people realize I was born somewhere else. Many people guess correctly, but some think England. That's OK. It's a great country too. And my roots are there on my great-great grandparents side.

Anyway, once they know I'm an Aussie, the next thing people say is that they have always wanted to visit there.

So, if you have questions about Australia and need some great advice about where to go and what to see, here's your chance, ask away!
Yeah,um....too embarassed to ask this in real life......

How Australian is Outback Steakhouse???? Is it Australian food to the same level that Taco Bell is Mexican food or Panda Express is Chinese food, or not even that????????? Like TacoBell and Chipotle are not considered authentic Mexican by Mexicans but its clearly more Mexican than American. I just started working part time in an Outback but I'm afraid to ask. The food as I see it is somewhat similar to stuff at other restaurnats like Applebees, TGI Fridays and Ruby Tuesdays but not quite the same though. You cannot get a blooming onion anywhere else. Is Outback more Australian than American? Is Australian food any different from American food?

Also, a more sensitive question.....how well are minorities assimilated in Australia? I'm the son of Asian immigrants but I was born in the U.S. and I'm a patriotic American who is very assimilated and I find it disturbing how a lot of ppl are not Americanizing and are not loyal to the U.S. It is troubling how a lot of people openly support illegal immigration, openly admit to having more pride and loyalty to their own countries, taking pride in not being American despite living here, refusing to speak English, etc. I've read about the Cronulla riots and it was disgusting how the Muslims acted, telling Aussie girls not to wear bikinis on the beach. Is this very isolated or is it also widespread?

Australia is my favorite foreign country in the world, if I didn't live in America I'd live in Australia. It's always just seemed like a cleaner, safer, perfect version of America without our problems like terrorism, crime, drugs, illegal immigration, etc or at leats not the level as in the US.

Old 04-05-2008, 12:37 AM

718 posts, read 2,370,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Yeah,um....too embarassed to ask this in real life......

How Australian is Outback Steakhouse???? Is it Australian food to the same level that Taco Bell is Mexican food or Panda Express is Chinese food, or not even that????????? Like TacoBell and Chipotle are not considered authentic Mexican by Mexicans but its clearly more Mexican than American. I just started working part time in an Outback but I'm afraid to ask. The food as I see it is somewhat similar to stuff at other restaurnats like Applebees, TGI Fridays and Ruby Tuesdays but not quite the same though. You cannot get a blooming onion anywhere else. Is Outback more Australian than American? Is Australian food any different from American food?

Also, a more sensitive question.....how well are minorities assimilated in Australia? I'm the son of Asian immigrants but I was born in the U.S. and I'm a patriotic American who is very assimilated and I find it disturbing how a lot of ppl are not Americanizing and are not loyal to the U.S. It is troubling how a lot of people openly support illegal immigration, openly admit to having more pride and loyalty to their own countries, taking pride in not being American despite living here, refusing to speak English, etc. I've read about the Cronulla riots and it was disgusting how the Muslims acted, telling Aussie girls not to wear bikinis on the beach. Is this very isolated or is it also widespread?

Australia is my favorite foreign country in the world, if I didn't live in America I'd live in Australia. It's always just seemed like a cleaner, safer, perfect version of America without our problems like terrorism, crime, drugs, illegal immigration, etc or at leats not the level as in the US.
I was totally shocked to find an Outback steakhouse in Australia! To me, the food is more American than Australian. I was also shocked that most Australian's had never really heard of it before and the most frequent patrons were from America. The food was a lot like the Outbacks here, but, for instance, the bloomin onion was smaller and almost tasted frozen compared to those here in America!

I do have a few questions though. Why is tomato sauce the norm instead of ketchup? We went Hooter's one night and got excited to see Heinz ketchup on the table. But, the ketchup had been replaced with tomato sauce, YUCK! Also, why is ice very rarely used in drinks? I also thought it was strange that most restaurants or food vendors in malls do not use fountain drinks but instead, bottled drinks (McDonald's, KFC, Subway are the exceptions)!

Old 04-05-2008, 01:24 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,980,569 times
As this thread is seeming to be and kind of Ausrtralian Information booth?....I hope you don't mind, If I try to answer some questions?

* Outback Steakhouse, Isn't authentic!....It's only Australian themed and Is actually an American restaurant chain, Though To my Understanding, There has been some Restaurants opened Down Under?....But, They're not wide spread and very few Actual Aussies would have eaten at one.

* Apart from things like: Vegemite!, Lamingtons!, Damper and ANZAC Biscuits (Cookies), Australian food (Tucker! ) is not really that Different from American Food...Only the Brands are Different.

*The Cronulla Riots were Extremely Shamefull and Hopefully Never to be repeated ....It certainly didn't have wide support in the Community!.

Though As such!, I Can't say that We don't have a problem, With ethinic minorities and Illegal Immigrants, Because we do!....It's just that (Like you've mentioned?) We feel that a new immigrant should speak English and too a lesser extent, Not be as critical of the Australian way of life.

Last edited by Kangaroofarmer; 04-05-2008 at 02:27 AM..

Old 04-05-2008, 02:09 AM

2,421 posts, read 6,980,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by statefan View Post

I do have a few questions though. Why is tomato sauce the norm instead of ketchup? We went Hooter's one night and got excited to see Heinz ketchup on the table. But, the ketchup had been replaced with tomato sauce, YUCK! Also, why is ice very rarely used in drinks? I also thought it was strange that most restaurants or food vendors in malls do not use fountain drinks but instead, bottled drinks (McDonald's, KFC, Subway are the exceptions)!

Tomato Sauce and Tomato Ketchup (Catsup) Is Essentially the same thing!(Though I do have to admit that Ketchup is a tad spicier?) The only real difference being...Ketchup is usually used as a sauce condiment, Where as Tomato Sauce is often part of the meal.

We Just like calling it Tomato Sauce...As "Ketchup" is seen as the American Term.

As for ice in drinks, It probably just comes down to particular vendors being "Stingy"?

Old 04-07-2008, 01:26 PM

991 posts, read 1,783,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Tomato Sauce and Tomato Ketchup (Catsup) Is Essentially the same thing!(Though I do have to admit that Ketchup is a tad spicier?) The only real difference being...Ketchup is usually used as a sauce condiment, Where as Tomato Sauce is often part of the meal.

We Just like calling it Tomato Sauce...As "Ketchup" is seen as the American Term.

As for ice in drinks, It probably just comes down to particular vendors being "Stingy"?
Actually the ice in drinks thing is more of a case that many people in Australia ask for a can of coke without ice. Mostly because the fridge keeps it cold and the soda fountain is water mixed with concentrate.

As for the issue regarding food - there is a substantial difference between Australian and American food. There is a lot more variety in the united states. The issue is that there is a large melting pot of cultures in America who tend to have contributed different culinary tastes. In Australia it still tends to be heavily influenced by Europe and Asia.

Old 04-07-2008, 03:51 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,497,611 times
Is "devon" Australian for what Americans call "bologna"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand