Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 01:10 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,144,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek40 View Post
The crimes of aboriginals against whites pales into insignificance compared with the reverse scenario.
Look at the Tasmanian aboriginies - a total and complete genocide!
The aboriginies were fighting a losing battle from the word go, and were not a beligerent or aggressive race by nature.
Today's indigineous people have some endemic problems, which have been well documented and previously mentioned here.
Many country towns have areas that you are advised to avoid, and unfortunately that often involves aboriginal areas.
There is still a long way to go before mutual trust and respect can be regained here.
I agree. Would like to compare the number of aboriginals killed by whites vs the number of whites killed by aborigines.

Also remember that Australian aborigines were not a huge, homogeneous group of people. They had hundreds of tribal groups and language groups, each with it's own strong identity. Many tribes did not marry with other tribes and avoided contact with them.

Some tribes were even friendly with the Europeans - no doubt unaware of their true motives - and perhaps even unaware of a concept of Australia and the Australian continent. I would wager the majority of Australians before and at the time of colonisation were not aware of the totality of the Australian continent.

Some tribes did fight against incursion bitterly. But how could they fight back against regimented armies and convict and farmer's militias armed with rifles? The settlers merely pushed the aborigines out of their homelands by destroying their environment. If the aborigines resisted, or interfered by hunting sheep, they were violently displaced.

Most aborigines had no inkling that the White man wanted to take over Australia. Like I said, most aborigines didn't even realise the concept of Australia existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2012, 01:21 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,994,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudee View Post
Look, the history of mankind all over the world is one of invasion, conquest and occupation. Australia was and is no different. The aborigines of Australia say that they love their spiritual mother above all else and that this philosophy lies at the heart of the their people.

If this was so, why was there no concerted and organised resistance to the 'invasion' in the years immediately following white settlement? The native Americans and th New Zealand Maori fought bitter and very well organised resistance up until the late 19th century. Seems from what I have read that aboriginal Australians had their hands out almost immediately after the white arrival and this persists to this day.

I feel no personal guilt for what happened to Aboriginal society following the arrival of the British. And as an aside, if it hadn't been the British it would most likely have been the French, Dutch or the Portugese who I suspect would have been much less 'benevolent' towards the native population.

Personally I had nothing to do with anything which might have happened in the past, good or bad. Therefore why should I, or any of the present-day population of Australia apologise to our Aboriginal community? And of course very little is said at the numerous massacres carried out against innocent whites, including women and children, by Aboriginal Australians. The list of massacres perpetrated against native Australians is easily researched but next to nothing is available about Aborigines massacring whites such as that at Cullin La Ringo in North Queensland where 19 white settlers were killed, or the survivors of a shipwreck on the south-eastern Victoria coast, including women and children, who also died at the hands of native Australians..

Finally as I said, what happened here after the British invasion was no different to what had happened (and continues to happen) throughout history. Time to move own and stop feeding the 'guilt' industry.
Yes there were massacres however Aborigines where no match for the whites, and if an white person was killed then the senario would likely to be to hunt that person down and revenge attacks by whites would result in many Aboriginals being killed:

An example was in 1928 which was the last recorded massacre of Aborigines and it was due to an Aboriginal killing an white man in the Northern Territory. The result was as follows:

The massacre occurred in revenge for the death of dingo hunter Frederick Brooks, killed by Aborigines in August 1928 at a place now known as Yukurru, (also known as Brooks Soak).
Official records at the time stated that 31 people were killed. The then-owner of Coniston station, Randall Stafford, was a member of the punitive party for the first few days and estimated that at least twice that number were killed between 14 August and 1 September. Historians estimate that at least 60 and as many as 110 Aboriginal men, women and children were killed.[1] The Warlpiri, Anmatyerre and Kaytetye believe that up to 170 died between 14 August and 18 October.[2]

Coniston massacre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So for one white person killed, it resulted in the revenge killing of possibility over an hundred Aboriginal men, women and children in that massacre.

Even though there were massacres that resulted in the decline in the number of Aboriginals most Aborigines died due to the diseases they had no immunity. If it was not the diseases then the alcohol would kill many.

Last edited by other99; 02-04-2012 at 01:41 AM..

Old 02-04-2012, 03:53 AM
ino

680 posts, read 2,502,060 times
It's not 'racism' anyway, I don't believe Australia *IS* racist, just look around at the diversity of ethnics and cultures which exist...IN HARMONY for the most part co-existing with everyone else, it's more the do-gooders and academics putting the 'racist' slant on it.

I've said it, and someone else just said it...colonisation or invasion, call it what one wishes, has been going on since the beginning of time! It's called evolution and/or progression in civilisation.

Ghengis Khan had the right idea, and he's *still* the only one that ever understood what it meant to colonise or 'invade?' another land thus avoiding all this hoo hah that's propagated by the aforesaid and popular press looking for the sympathy angle today.

I don't care if a persons skin colour is black, white or brindle, in this instance the aboriginals can have anything their little hearts desire...but they must get out there, get with it, and get it the same way the rest of us do! The Greeks did it, the Croats did it, the Yugoslavs did it, the Italians did it, the Chinese did it etc etc and so that list could go on, it's called 'integration'. The clock cannot be turned back, for better or worse...That's life! And that's what's made this planet over the course of many civilisations! Which/what civilisation will take over from us?

Old 02-04-2012, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
It's not 'racism' anyway, I don't believe Australia *IS* racist, just look around at the diversity of ethnics and cultures which exist...IN HARMONY for the most part co-existing with everyone else, it's more the do-gooders and academics putting the 'racist' slant on it.

I've said it, and someone else just said it...colonisation or invasion, call it what one wishes, has been going on since the beginning of time! It's called evolution and/or progression in civilisation.

Ghengis Khan had the right idea, and he's *still* the only one that ever understood what it meant to colonise or 'invade?' another land thus avoiding all this hoo hah that's propagated by the aforesaid and popular press looking for the sympathy angle today.

I don't care if a persons skin colour is black, white or brindle, in this instance the aboriginals can have anything their little hearts desire...but they must get out there, get with it, and get it the same way the rest of us do! The Greeks did it, the Croats did it, the Yugoslavs did it, the Italians did it, the Chinese did it etc etc and so that list could go on, it's called 'integration'. The clock cannot be turned back, for better or worse...That's life! And that's what's made this planet over the course of many civilisations! Which/what civilisation will take over from us?
I agree to an extent...we cannot condemn Europeans for being colonialists without ignoring the fact people have been displacing people for millenia now.

I do take issue with anyone who says that on one hand but is afraid of being invaded by others, of other races, religions.etc. That is hypocritical. This is merely the next stage.

Old 02-04-2012, 02:50 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,162,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I agree to an extent...we cannot condemn Europeans for being colonialists without ignoring the fact people have been displacing people for millenia now.

I do take issue with anyone who says that on one hand but is afraid of being invaded by others, of other races, religions.etc. That is hypocritical. This is merely the next stage.
Yes it does seem a lot of Aussies living in the Western suburbs of Sydney are terrified of a few boat people invading.
Good thing Norforce is keeping the Northern coast safe from invaders.
Amusing how Norforce grunts are in the main, Indigenous.

Green skin: Australia's indigenous army - Australian Geographic

Old 02-05-2012, 12:50 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,994,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
Yes it does seem a lot of Aussies living in the Western suburbs of Sydney are terrified of a few boat people invading.
Good thing Norforce is keeping the Northern coast safe from invaders.
Amusing how Norforce grunts are in the main, Indigenous.

Green skin: Australia's indigenous army - Australian Geographic
Its just not the western suburbs many aussies are afraid of an few boat people invading. Many aussies throughout Australia are afraid as well.

Old 02-05-2012, 04:44 AM

317 posts, read 528,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
So you don't mind boat people coming to Australia?
Some may call it an invasion but it's just a progression in civilisation

Old 02-05-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post
So you don't mind boat people coming to Australia?
Some may call it an invasion but it's just a progression in civilisation
Speaking of myself, I used to care but now I don't give a crap. I don't give a crap about Australia staying white, this was never the white man's home, no matter how vehemently waves the Aussie flag. I'd be hypocritical too.

Still, I don't want them to ruin the society we've built, so we have to have controls and limits. Not based on race. We should be just as tough on the English as the others.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:48 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,162,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Speaking of myself, I used to care but now I don't give a crap. I don't give a crap about Australia staying white, this was never the white man's home, no matter how vehemently waves the Aussie flag. I'd be hypocritical too.

Still, I don't want them to ruin the society we've built, so we have to have controls and limits. Not based on race. We should be just as tough on the English as the others.
So you would base it on what ?
Would you allow white South Africans in to Aus ? the ones who believed apartheid was a fine system when they had a maid living in a dog kennel in their South African house.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:54 PM

324 posts, read 715,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
How big is racism is big in Australia against Aborigines or in the city or town where you live where Aborigines live? Would you feel uncomfortable living next to an Aborigine?
About the same as it is among American Indians and Custer! I have lived & worked amongst American and South American Indians most of my life. I TOTALLY DISLIKE the reservation (reserves in Canada) system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand