Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:13 PM

193 posts, read 340,216 times

Advertisements

I took a trip recently to Sydney and Melbourne with a few of my employees who are not caucasian.

At night walking they did receive a couple of verbal racist insults. One of them was called Leb for some reason, yet he is from India.

However, during the day people were very personable with them and often engaging them in business discussions rather than myself.

I ask them about their experience and they seem to relate the racism in the US as more undisclosed and more sinister in nature. Overall, the positive influences during the day outweighed the racist jeers they received at night.

I think that interesting in the US that type of conduct would be simply not tolerated in most locations.

I was wondering if any of you have thoughts on this difference between these 2 countries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 08:30 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,110,449 times
being called a lebo wouldn't be tolerated? (was this in Sydney?)

there are idiots everywhere, especially when booze is involved.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:49 PM

193 posts, read 340,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
being called a lebo wouldn't be tolerated? (was this in Sydney?)

there are idiots everywhere, especially when booze is involved.
It was in Sydney and it did not carry on more than a single yell. They noticed no one seemed to be bothered by it and were not repeatedly taunted.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:46 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Well, Australia through most of the 20th Century has a "White Australia" immigration policy. This was so strict that an international scandal erupted when an African American scholar or official, I don't remember who it was now, traveling to a conference in Australia, was detained trying to enter the country.

Old 07-10-2012, 11:18 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,498,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Well, Australia through most of the 20th Century has a "White Australia" immigration policy. This was so strict that an international scandal erupted when an African American scholar or official, I don't remember who it was now, traveling to a conference in Australia, was detained trying to enter the country.
Whats that got to do with Australia in 2012?

The White Australia Policy was abolished in 1966.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 07-11-2012 at 12:11 AM..

Old 07-11-2012, 12:25 AM

318 posts, read 625,749 times
I live in a VERY diverse area of Melbourne and a lot of Lebanese people actually use the word 'Leb/Lebo' with pride and post stuff on Facebook like, "LEBO PRIDE FOR LIFE!" Kind of like how some black people in the USA use the 'n' word amongst themselves.

I have never heard leb/lebo used in a racist manner - but that could be due to my upbringing in a really diverse suburb.

Old 07-11-2012, 12:26 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,110,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
whats that got to do with anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddoctor View Post
It was in Sydney and it did not carry on more than a single yell. They noticed no one seemed to be bothered by it and were not repeatedly taunted.
haha knew it was Sydney. anyone dark = lebo.

yeah, if it carried on people might have noticed.

Old 07-11-2012, 07:36 PM

22 posts, read 26,492 times
If you think US and Australia is "racist" then leave. Go to China, Korea or India and I'm sure they'll treat you like an equal...

Western countries should never have opened their borders to the world and be overrun by foreigners.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:21 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stef18 View Post
If you think US and Australia is "racist" then leave. Go to China, Korea or India and I'm sure they'll treat you like an equal...

Western countries should never have opened their borders to the world and be overrun by foreigners.
Then you could argue that those same nations should have never colonized other parts of the world, or sent immigrants to other nations.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:48 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
whats that got to do with anything?
Old attitudes die hard. Just because Civil Rights laws were passed in the US in the 1960's doesn't mean the population became tolerant overnight. Attitudes get passed down over generations. Both Australia and the US voted against the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, 2 of only 4 nations to do so, and they fought the document's drafting process all the way, for about a decade and a half. In the 90's, Australia welcomed White South Africans fleeing "regime change" in their country. Why would Afrikaaners find Australia so enticing? (They also flocked to Russia. This tells you something about Russia.) The youngest generations are the hope for the future. In the US, at least, there's more interracial dating, and mingling in the workplace. The tech sector seems to be leading the way, hiring all talented persons they can find without regard to race. We can only hope the trend continues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand