Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 08:07 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,947,822 times

Advertisements

I'm 27 years old, have lived in Australia 26 years of those, and am of Asian ancestry. I've experienced racial insults probably at least a dozen times in my life over that time, but nothing too serious I suppose...anyway, it always seemed to be that racism was more prevalent in the recent past, I suppose due to more conservative attitudes, but I'm wondering if that's really the case? In some ways might racism actually be getting worse, as more people resent immigrants coming in? I suppose most whites don't have much experience with racism unless they're on the giving end (aside from maybe some aborigines) but if you have experience or are non-white, I'm curious as to what your experience has been.

I live in Footscray, and about 20 years ago the film 'Romper Stomper' came out. It was set here and showed the conflict between racist skinheads and the Vietnamese community. I'm wondering how much the racist skinheads had decreased by since the early 90s, and if anyone remembers them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2013, 09:29 AM

991 posts, read 1,779,501 times
I'm an ABC and grew up in the eighties. Racism in the community is no worse now than then and no worse then than now. But then I don't go out looking for it. There are going to be cultural stereotypes and they are stereotypes, sure not everyone is the same but often times the stereotypes have a chance of being 50% correct. There are always folks who have a certain view and they can't be changed, but there are enough in society who want to learn and know about different things and that's what we should embrace.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:08 PM

6,066 posts, read 6,091,607 times
I would say far worse decades back. There didn't seem to be a lot od recognition it was wrong and only limited censure. Asian faces are everywhere, at least in the cities. People may have views on the matter but far fewer openly express them in public. Racism is not considered right just as being homophobic isn't. Twenty years plus this was not the case.
I can recall many instances of abuse on Asians when they were a rarity. Not forgetting Europeans who looked different were also readily abused going back further.

Old 08-16-2013, 09:16 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,251,556 times
I think it has gotten better at least from what I have heard, a couple of years ago I also experienced some racism in Sydney. Hopefully it got better, my friend lives in northern Sydney and loves it there, but the downfall is she experiences many racism, she loves the beaches and everything but is considering moving back to America to be closer with her family. In my opinion racism in Australia is much worse than America, being mixed (Mexican, black and white) I have never experienced any racism specially living in a city that is supposedly racist in America, the first week I was in Sydney I experienced something ill never forget.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:54 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,211,789 times
Oh well
The only true racism I experienced in my life (being denied service) was in the states. NYC.
Myself and a Mexican friend. He told me that it wasn't the first time that he had experienced that.
Except I don't ***** and whine about it like a baby
Nor have I ever said America is racist because of my one personal experience
Get over it.

Old 08-16-2013, 04:41 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,939,597 times
When I First came to Australia in the 70's racism was alive and well, everyone who wasn't born here was called "bloody wogs" until the arrival of Asians a name was soon found for them, those of us that were Brits had our own special name " pommie b@&#%*
I don't hear this sort of thing much these days, maybe Australia has grown up at last, matured if you like, I do hope so.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:25 AM

3,678 posts, read 7,251,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Oh well
The only true racism I experienced in my life (being denied service) was in the states. NYC.
Myself and a Mexican friend. He told me that it wasn't the first time that he had experienced that.
Except I don't ***** and whine about it like a baby
Nor have I ever said America is racist because of my one personal experience
Get over it.
LOL...I didn't even mention the details of the story in my post YOU DID. I think the person that needs to get over it is you in fact, I gotten over it, its not even that big of a deal honestly, but you treat it like its a huge deal and disrespect to Australia, well I'm sorry but racism is very much well and alive in Australia accept the fact and get over it.

Old 08-19-2013, 02:18 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,211,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali3448893 View Post
LOL...I didn't even mention the details of the story in my post YOU DID. I think the person that needs to get over it is you in fact, I gotten over it, its not even that big of a deal honestly, but you treat it like its a huge deal and disrespect to Australia, well I'm sorry but racism is very much well and alive in Australia accept the fact and get over it.
Point out the details I mentioned about your story.

I couldn't care less what you were called by one person. It is stupid to think one experience defines an entire nation.

Old 08-19-2013, 04:07 AM

598 posts, read 961,222 times
I don't think Cali has ever been to Australia, he's a troll.

Old 08-20-2013, 03:27 AM

318 posts, read 630,037 times
I'm Asian (Cambodian and Chinese heritage) who was born and raised in Australia. I was born in the 90's and most of my childhood years was in the 00's, and I've honestly never experienced racism. I'm also from Melbourne, but I grew up in the south-east suburbs where there is a huge Asian population so that could be it. Even now, going to a majority white private school in the rich white eastern suburbs, I've still never experienced any racism. The closest thing I've experienced regarding racism is probably funny looks from country folk on the few trips I took to the country, and it seemed more of a curiosity thing rather than a "GET OUT OF MY COUNTRY!!1111" kind of thing. I've had a few stereotypical remarks directed at me, of course but nothing too serious. The only real racism I've encountered are from trolls on the internet.

My parents who immigrated to Australia in the early 1980's say that Australia was a really racist country back then. My mother told me stories about how she spent her teen years in the inner city and she experienced racism from mostly Italians and Greeks (who funnily enough were subjected to racism before the Asians came along) who said stuff like, "You c&%#k, ching chong chang!" and all that cr*p and would pull their eyes to make it more slanted etc. You get the drift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand