Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:22 AM

497 posts, read 983,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
She was referring to "Western nations" letting immigrants in. What I was referring to was the British going to Australia and New Zealand almost wiping out the indigenous populations, then instituting a "White Australia" policy. Basically what I call a take over. You don't go to another place, take it away from the native population, then declare a policy where only people of your race can come it. Then again, I've looked over the posts and it is clear that the person I was last responding to wants an Australia where only Whites are allowed. I take it personal because I am Black, and I have also read that it extended to the point where an African-American scholar was denied entry into Australia, even if it was only for a short while.

Colonizing Australia and NZ didn't cause demographic changes to the UK or Europe. It caused demographic changes to Australia and NZ.
I understand you but in the discussion of people being overrun by others, the story of Australia (British vs Indigenous) is over and all of the consequences of that have happened and won't really cause anything new to happen.

It's a different discussion to current modern-day migration.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2012, 04:53 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,664,616 times
I can't recall any racist remarks reaching my ears, while in the US.

I did get called a Kiwi Muppet, in Aussie one time. That cut really deep.

Old 07-15-2012, 01:29 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
I think true racism isn't that prevalent in either country, but it's more visible in Oz (my guess). Sure, I've received a fair number of verbal insults/taunts, the other day I was told to 'go back to Asia' by a group of young kids wearing black and sporting mohawks. It's also common to see 'f**k off we're full' and 'sink the boats' bumper stickers, and it's common for Aussies to express somewhat racist attitudes, especially for aborigines. Mostly we're pretty tolerant, but there still is a sizable minority. The thing is the cities are becoming so multicultural so fast that some people find it hard to adapt.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:20 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,124,974 times
The most racist and chauvinistic people I've ever met have been older people from Europe and Asia - not from the US or Australia.

When you have a homogenous, ethnic population - all speaking the same language - next to zero immigration, little opportunity to travel and a stagnant economy? Anything that looks or sounds different is a threat.

The US, Canada and Australia have long had quite a bit of diversity even among their european populations (germans, irish, italians, poles, etc). Most South American countries also have similar levels of diversity. That's not to say that everything is fine but it's hardly the problem it is in Old World countries. There's no Kurd vs. Arab war going on in New Zealand.

I just think about the venom that some Castillian speaking Spaniards have for Catalan speakers or how French kids are taught to denigrate the other languages spoken in their country (that haven't been completely eradicated yet). Or the violence in Thailand (or the Philippines for that matter) between the majority population and the muslim minority.

While I don't appreciate racism I can understand to a certain extent where Brits and Italians are coming from when they say they're fed up with immigration. Italians come from Italy. It's their homeland. The English come from England. When in Rome do as the Romans do or go home. Don't move to someone else's country and expect them to adapt to you. (granted, the Italians' problems with immigration are largely their own fault - for not having enough kids) It's just not the same in the US. Our countries are for people from all over the world and they always have been. Being an american doesn't require much more than a knowledge of english and an affinity for our sports. None of us come from here and, while i consider myself to be ethnically "american", there really is no one american ethnic group. None of us has the right to lock the door behind us.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:47 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,498,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
She was referring to "Western nations" letting immigrants in. What I was referring to was the British going to Australia and New Zealand almost wiping out the indigenous populations, then instituting a "White Australia" policy. Basically what I call a take over. You don't go to another place, take it away from the native population, then declare a policy where only people of your race can come it. Then again, I've looked over the posts and it is clear that the person I was last responding to wants an Australia where only Whites are allowed. I take it personal because I am Black, and I have also read that it extended to the point where an African-American scholar was denied entry into Australia, even if it was only for a short while.

Colonizing Australia and NZ didn't cause demographic changes to the UK or Europe. It caused demographic changes to Australia and NZ.
Just as long as you realize you own country did almost exactly the same thing, except the USA ran a Chinese Exclusion Policy which was latter expanded to include other nationalities, effectively the white Australia policy was based on it, as almost every person in Australia who was not white or indigenous as the time, was a Chinese immigrant who arrived during the 1850's gold rush.

Last edited by danielsa1775; 07-17-2012 at 04:13 AM..

Old 07-17-2012, 03:25 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,043,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
The most racist and chauvinistic people I've ever met have been older people from Europe and Asia - not from the US or Australia.

When you have a homogenous, ethnic population - all speaking the same language - next to zero immigration, little opportunity to travel and a stagnant economy? Anything that looks or sounds different is a threat.

The US, Canada and Australia have long had quite a bit of diversity even among their european populations (germans, irish, italians, poles, etc). Most South American countries also have similar levels of diversity. That's not to say that everything is fine but it's hardly the problem it is in Old World countries. There's no Kurd vs. Arab war going on in New Zealand.

I just think about the venom that some Castillian speaking Spaniards have for Catalan speakers or how French kids are taught to denigrate the other languages spoken in their country (that haven't been completely eradicated yet). Or the violence in Thailand (or the Philippines for that matter) between the majority population and the muslim minority.

While I don't appreciate racism I can understand to a certain extent where Brits and Italians are coming from when they say they're fed up with immigration. Italians come from Italy. It's their homeland. The English come from England. When in Rome do as the Romans do or go home. Don't move to someone else's country and expect them to adapt to you. (granted, the Italians' problems with immigration are largely their own fault - for not having enough kids) It's just not the same in the US. Our countries are for people from all over the world and they always have been. Being an american doesn't require much more than a knowledge of english and an affinity for our sports. None of us come from here and, while i consider myself to be ethnically "american", there really is no one american ethnic group. None of us has the right to lock the door behind us.
I agree, the UK has more of a 'right' to maintain it's culture.etc than the recent immigrant nations, since it's been occupied by the English for a long time now. I guess it's relative, though, since most English came from the mainland in the past 2000 years.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:16 AM

9,326 posts, read 22,015,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I agree, the UK has more of a 'right' to maintain it's culture.etc than the recent immigrant nations, since it's been occupied by the English for a long time now. I guess it's relative, though, since most English came from the mainland in the past 2000 years.
So Aboriginals should have the right to maintain their culture in Oz versus the English migrants since they've lived in Oz for over 40,000 years??

Old 07-17-2012, 09:42 AM

73,003 posts, read 62,578,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttad View Post
I understand you but in the discussion of people being overrun by others, the story of Australia (British vs Indigenous) is over and all of the consequences of that have happened and won't really cause anything new to happen.

It's a different discussion to current modern-day migration.
It is different. There is a difference between immigrants and colonialists. Colonialists take countries away from people. Immigrants merely move to another nation and call it their new home. Immigrants don't come in bent on genocide. Colonialists,especially the ones who came to Australia, committed a genocide against the Aboriginal people.

If there are immigrants committing crimes, imprison them and then deport them. My point to the person I responded to was that this "Whites Only" Australia was that such a policy is hypocritical. This is the way I see it. At the time a "Whites Only Australia" policy was implemented, colonial powers from Europe were going in and taking nations away from peoples in Africa and Asia. The Aboriginal people basically had their nation taken from them. How can you taken a nation from someone, and then say "No non-Whites allowed", especially if the persons you took it from were themselves non-Whites? It sounds very Darwinian.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:20 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Interesting argument, so since we Maori have been in NZ since 1200 AD we should have the right to keep Maori culture on top ?

Old 07-17-2012, 05:24 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
So Aboriginals should have the right to maintain their culture in Oz versus the English migrants since they've lived in Oz for over 40,000 years??
Tsk tsk, you are being awkward The Aussie high court did find Aboriginals to be mere fauna .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand