Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:19 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,144,031 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah I forgot about the gang raping. Either the media are inadvertantly spreading his message to people who agree with him. They just want to create more conflict, suspicion between peoples. Again those dyed-in the wool White Australia types will become suspicious of all Muslims. I really hate the Australian media, it needs a good do-over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2012, 07:27 PM

4,239 posts, read 4,910,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Oh yeah I forgot about the gang raping. Either the media are inadvertantly spreading his message to people who agree with him. They just want to create more conflict, suspicion between peoples. Again those dyed-in the wool White Australia types will become suspicious of all Muslims. I really hate the Australian media, it needs a good do-over.
I'm not sure why the media is to blame? If Archbishop Pell made similar remarks would you expect them to not report it? Actually Pell makes foolish remarks all the time and everyone gets a good chuckle out of them. Thankfully his stupidity doesn't extend to condoning violence against women.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:12 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,994,050 times
Quote:
Well Fred NIle who is an politician and clergyman in NSW is denounced by many of his actions such as his protests against the Gay and lesbian Mardi Gras and has made other stupid remarks, and I am sure he would cause just as much controversy if he made remarks in the same manner as what Sheik Taj Aldin Alhilali said.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:23 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,137,949 times
Quote:
Nothing wrong with wearing a veil, but when they want to impose their culture and beliefs on OTHERS then it becomes a problem.

I thought it was ludicrous when the media was making such a hoo-ha about some Muslim imam saying that western women who dressed skimpily were like 'pieces of meat.' So what? He's not committing any crime is he? No different to what any preacher would say to his congregation on a Sunday. Who bloody cares what some guy in white wearing a cap thinks anyway? It's not going to change our habits or anything so it's obviously a case of them being desperate to find controversy.
lol. As a woman, I can tell you it was pretty offensive....and a scary notion to think that stupid young men listen to that disgusting man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCC_1 View Post
Find me a priest/reverend/minister/rabbi in Sydney who would agree that the women who were gang-raped by those thugs deserved it. That is what Hilali was referring to. Before he got to his "meat" remark he had referred to Judges giving people 65 years (which is what Skaf got for the gang-rapes).

Whether it was a Christian/Jewish/Muslim cleric who said it, it wouldn't change how disgusting the statement was.

Those sort of views belong in the stone-age.
Appropiate sentence. Now I just want to see that kind of sentencing applied all the time, not sure that it has.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Appropiate sentence. Now I just want to see that kind of sentencing applied all the time, not sure that it has.
They should have been done for committing a hate crime as well, given the vile epithets they used during the rapes.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:47 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,144,031 times
On the news there was another story about a man being stabbed in Northbridge. It got me thinking. What possible purpose does that even serve? How will that affect our lives? Just more paranoid people saying how Northbridge is as bad as Brownsville, NY or East St. Louis. 1 in maybe 100,000 will get stabbed in Northbridge, it was probably an altercation between people who knew each other, nothing to do with Northbridge being a dangerous place. I've walked in N'bridge at night alone countless times and have never been mugged, robbed, glassed or knifed. No, I don't see what Pell or Niles has to say really counts for much either. Why does the news need to report that...it's not really 'news' imo. I frankly think most news is news because it has an agenda.

Muslim extremists like that, if they are so offended by Australian society, should get on the next boat to Afghanistan or wherever they came from.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:08 AM

790 posts, read 1,734,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corsa71 View Post
Did the people on the boats that sailed into Botany Bay a few centuries back try and assimilate with the indigenous people and understand their culture and not force their religion on anyone else?
So the Aboriginal people should have repelled the boats?

Old 02-07-2012, 03:12 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,137,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spindle View Post
So the Aboriginal people should have repelled the boats?
... and agree with Tony Abbott?

Old 02-07-2012, 03:29 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,704,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ino View Post
It's not 'racism' anyway, I don't believe Australia *IS* racist, just look around at the diversity of ethnics and cultures which exist...IN HARMONY for the most part co-existing with everyone else, it's more the do-gooders and academics putting the 'racist' slant on it.

I've said it, and someone else just said it...colonisation or invasion, call it what one wishes, has been going on since the beginning of time! It's called evolution and/or progression in civilisation.

Ghengis Khan had the right idea, and he's *still* the only one that ever understood what it meant to colonise or 'invade?' another land thus avoiding all this hoo hah that's propagated by the aforesaid and popular press looking for the sympathy angle today.

I don't care if a persons skin colour is black, white or brindle, in this instance the aboriginals can have anything their little hearts desire...but they must get out there, get with it, and get it the same way the rest of us do! The Greeks did it, the Croats did it, the Yugoslavs did it, the Italians did it, the Chinese did it etc etc and so that list could go on, it's called 'integration'. The clock cannot be turned back, for better or worse...That's life! And that's what's made this planet over the course of many civilisations! Which/what civilisation will take over from us?
That's pretty much what I was going to say. This has been going on since the beginning of time and will continue to do so. It keeps the gene pool fresh and interesting and it's purely nature.

My dad and uncle recently spent a few years reconstructing our families past and our family tree. It was very interesting to see who I was related to and where they came from and we were able on some people to actually get their whole life story. I have some famous ancestors and some not so famous and many had pitiful, abusive lives or died in wars or from poverty or some horrible illness.

Whatever the case, here I am, just like everyone else and you take what you are handed and you make the best life for yourself. Yes, you respect your ancestors and their struggles and remember them, but also you need to look to the future generations and build a good life for you, your family and your community so the torch can be past onwards.

I think the Aboriginals have to start looking to the present and the future and building a good community for themselves. The "white guilt" crowd has tried to soothe everything with welfare and that never works.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
Whatever the case, here I am, just like everyone else and you take what you are handed and you make the best life for yourself. Yes, you respect your ancestors and their struggles and remember them, but also you need to look to the future generations and build a good life for you, your family and your community so the torch can be past onwards.

I think the Aboriginals have to start looking to the present and the future and building a good community for themselves. The "white guilt" crowd has tried to soothe everything with welfare and that never works.
I more or less agree with you. But I would add that it's a two-way street. I'm all for aboriginals empowering themselves but on the other hand the ingrained racism towards them by large sections of Australian society needs to end as well. Unfortunately, the current situation creates a chicken and egg problem. The welfare leads to stereotypes of aboriginals as lazy and living off handouts which makes it harder for them to integrate into mainstream society which leads to welfare dependency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand