Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 06:58 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueDat View Post
Out of curiosity, since according to a previous post, it seems the Aborigines in Sydney have settled in such Western suburbs as Blacktown and Mt. Druitt, which I believe is where many African immigrants have settled, is there friction between the groups? Do they even acknowledge each other? I ask that against the backdrop of the larger question about the relationship between Aborigines and other non-white Australians. Have non-white Aussies assumed the same attitudes towards Aborigines as white Australians or is there a difference? Less hostility? More hostility? Indifference? Any sense of shared struggle or no?

Separately, does Redfern still have a large Aboriginal community?
I think it depends. Surprisingly, I sometimes feel aborigines are kinder towards non-whites because they weren't seen as being directly culpable for colonialism and all it's evil. Never mind we too benefited from it. I personally have never been harassed, insulted or attacked (unless you count some tired old jokes about Jackie Chan and kung-fu lol) but I've witnessed white people being verbally harassed and many have told me they've been attacked. My experience may not be typical, however. I have heard of Asian tourists and students being called racist names and chased, so maybe I've been lucky.

As for Africans. I think I've heard of some conflict between the two groups, but I really don't know. I've heard some Italians say some really racist things about aborigines, which I thought was pretty rich for a people who used to be considered second class citizens.

Several aborigines have been very friendly towards me, from all outward appearances...Once while my white Canadian friend and I were at a waterhole swimming an aboriginal family invited us over to talk/eat with them. Treated us just like the family. They asked us a lot of questions, were very curious about my friend. We shared some beers, it was great. Canadian friend left with a positive impression of aborigines, that they're just like us and can be very friendly. That would almost NEVER happen with a white family, it's just their culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 04:23 PM

4,432 posts, read 6,984,164 times
Quote:
Out of curiosity, since according to a previous post, it seems the Aborigines in Sydney have settled in such Western suburbs as Blacktown and Mt. Druitt, which I believe is where many African immigrants have settled, is there friction between the groups? Do they even acknowledge each other? I ask that against the backdrop of the larger question about the relationship between Aborigines and other non-white Australians. Have non-white Aussies assumed the same attitudes towards Aborigines as white Australians or is there a difference? Less hostility? More hostility? Indifference? Any sense of shared struggle or no?

I was not there before the African immigrants as the African immigration largely happened within the last 15 years. However in Perth there are tensions between Aborigines and Blacks, and it be likely the same for some places in western Sydney.

Although Aboriginal blackness symbolises the primordial ownership and custodianship of the land, it signifies, at the same time, dispossession and social disadvantage. The frustration caused by this situation is most easily directed towards the recently arrived, highly visible refugee population that, due to is low socio-economic position, shares the same neighbourhoods. Their shared blackness contributes to the tension in perhaps unexpected ways... [i]n the given social context, it is not surprising that the blackness and socio-economic disadvantage of both groups, which sets them apart from the majority population, has not produced a shared sense of identity and solidarity in recognition of similar positioning within the white society, but instead created antipathy, competition and conflict.
Black Minority Groups: Clashes between African and Aboriginal Youth in Urban Areas

Yet despite the Aborigines and Black Africans both largely living in among the most poorest areas of the cities there are conflicts between those groups, even in places such as Blacktown or Mt Druitt.

There is an article that goes more into detail regarding Black African and Aboriginal relations which is below.
http://mams.rmit.edu.au/ap9mogc7ob421.pdf

Redfern still has an large Aboriginal community, yet there are also lots of other racial groups living in the area. I find some parts of Redfern dirty esp close to the shops close to the train station, however there are places within Redfern that are not and even have million dollar homes. I would not feel safe walking round the shopping area at night.

Last edited by other99; 02-02-2012 at 04:36 PM..

Old 02-02-2012, 04:51 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,891,073 times
Quote:
Have non-white Aussies assumed the same attitudes towards Aborigines as white Australians or is there a difference? Less hostility? More hostility? Indifference? Any sense of shared struggle or no?
It's pretty much the same attitude.

Quote:
Yeah but it's being pushed out slowly. Waterloo is probably more aboriginal these days because Redfern has become expensive and gentrified.

Even the Block is getting knocked down and redeveloped.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:08 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
Interesting links. Thanks for posting. It's what I suspected but hadn't seen documented.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:52 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,668,387 times
Just watched the movie Rabbit-proof fence, any relevance to this thread?

Old 02-02-2012, 10:28 PM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
I really liked "Rabbit Proof Fence." There are several interesting movies with Aboriginal themes: "Ten Canoes," "The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith," the comedy "The Life of Harry Dare" which I mentioned previously, "The Last Wave," "Jindabyne," and "Walkabout" come to mind.

Old 02-03-2012, 03:16 PM

455 posts, read 1,131,918 times
I've been reading on how there is actually a good deal of inter-mixing relations between aboriginals and non-aboriginals with many or the majority of aboriginal having non native partners. This seems to go against the perceived nature of aboriginals being seen as a separate group from mainstream society.

Can someone explain this?

Old 02-03-2012, 03:18 PM

499 posts, read 580,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
There've been threads on this. A lot of people have some racist attitudes to them, but largely because of how they behave, e.g. always on the dole, alcoholism, drug use, violence...I definitely understand that it's because they were disadvantaged in history, but how long is this going to go on?
Good point!

Old 02-03-2012, 05:39 PM

102 posts, read 166,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quenelle View Post
Good point!
Look, the history of mankind all over the world is one of invasion, conquest and occupation. Australia was and is no different. The aborigines of Australia say that they love their spiritual mother above all else and that this philosophy lies at the heart of the their people.

If this was so, why was there no concerted and organised resistance to the 'invasion' in the years immediately following white settlement? The native Americans and th New Zealand Maori fought bitter and very well organised resistance up until the late 19th century. Seems from what I have read that aboriginal Australians had their hands out almost immediately after the white arrival and this persists to this day.

I feel no personal guilt for what happened to Aboriginal society following the arrival of the British. And as an aside, if it hadn't been the British it would most likely have been the French, Dutch or the Portugese who I suspect would have been much less 'benevolent' towards the native population.

Personally I had nothing to do with anything which might have happened in the past, good or bad. Therefore why should I, or any of the present-day population of Australia apologise to our Aboriginal community? And of course very little is said at the numerous massacres carried out against innocent whites, including women and children, by Aboriginal Australians. The list of massacres perpetrated against native Australians is easily researched but next to nothing is available about Aborigines massacring whites such as that at Cullin La Ringo in North Queensland where 19 white settlers were killed, or the survivors of a shipwreck on the south-eastern Victoria coast, including women and children, who also died at the hands of native Australians..

Finally as I said, what happened here after the British invasion was no different to what had happened (and continues to happen) throughout history. Time to move own and stop feeding the 'guilt' industry.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:56 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudee View Post
Look, the history of mankind all over the world is one of invasion, conquest and occupation. Australia was and is no different. The aborigines of Australia say that they love their spiritual mother above all else and that this philosophy lies at the heart of the their people.

If this was so, why was there no concerted and organised resistance to the 'invasion' in the years immediately following white settlement? The native Americans and th New Zealand Maori fought bitter and very well organised resistance up until the late 19th century. Seems from what I have read that aboriginal Australians had their hands out almost immediately after the white arrival and this persists to this day.

I feel no personal guilt for what happened to Aboriginal society following the arrival of the British. And as an aside, if it hadn't been the British it would most likely have been the French, Dutch or the Portugese who I suspect would have been much less 'benevolent' towards the native population.

Personally I had nothing to do with anything which might have happened in the past, good or bad. Therefore why should I, or any of the present-day population of Australia apologise to our Aboriginal community? And of course very little is said at the numerous massacres carried out against innocent whites, including women and children, by Aboriginal Australians. The list of massacres perpetrated against native Australians is easily researched but next to nothing is available about Aborigines massacring whites such as that at Cullin La Ringo in North Queensland where 19 white settlers were killed, or the survivors of a shipwreck on the south-eastern Victoria coast, including women and children, who also died at the hands of native Australians..

Finally as I said, what happened here after the British invasion was no different to what had happened (and continues to happen) throughout history. Time to move own and stop feeding the 'guilt' industry.
The crimes of aboriginals against whites pales into insignificance compared with the reverse scenario.
Look at the Tasmanian aboriginies - a total and complete genocide!
The aboriginies were fighting a losing battle from the word go, and were not a beligerent or aggressive race by nature.
Today's indigineous people have some endemic problems, which have been well documented and previously mentioned here.
Many country towns have areas that you are advised to avoid, and unfortunately that often involves aboriginal areas.
There is still a long way to go before mutual trust and respect can be regained here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Australia and New Zealand