Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2013, 08:07 AM

181 posts, read 429,506 times

Advertisements

Except in Austin you don't get to vote on things like this or if you do, city council just does what it wants anyway. They know what is better for us then we do I guess. It does not matter if you are an R or D one party rule is never good for democracy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 08:34 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Cal Wahine View Post
We're not discussing drones monitoring Americans in their private homes here. We're talking about plastic bags.

Plastic bags.
Have you ever heard of the 'slippery slope'? Look at your own (presumably) state of California....people are fleeing in droves because businesses can't do business there because of the stranglehold of government regulations. Remember?

Old 03-12-2013, 08:35 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,276,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
For no better REAL reason than to enforce their own preferences to not destroy the world on everyone else..
Really? Plastic bags are going to destroy the world. Who knew?

Old 03-12-2013, 08:38 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Have you ever heard of the 'slippery slope'? Look at your own (presumably) state of California....people are fleeing in droves because businesses can't do business there because of the stranglehold of government regulations. Remember?
I'm an Austinite. The user name is very old and reflects my state of origin only.

Nevertheless, I do not see banning plastic bags as a "stranglehold of government regulations". I accept however that others will disagree with that.

Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 AM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Quote:
Really? Plastic bags are going to destroy the world. Who knew?
Nah, I was just trying to match the hysteria and hyperbole that seems to be a requirement in this thread .

Old 03-12-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I'm an Austinite. The user name is very old and reflects my state of origin only.

Nevertheless, I do not see banning plastic bags as a "stranglehold of government regulations". I accept however that others will disagree with that.
Emphasis on 'state of origin'. Congratulations on moving to Texas. Lots of people in Texas have escaped the over-regulation, and resulting economic stagnation, of California....only to want to replicate it here.

The plastic bag ban, the endless bond packages, the move to mass transit at all costs...it's coming. Texas has always been a small government, low tax state- and that's the reason for its economic success. Of course, oil reserves don't hurt!

Old 03-12-2013, 09:02 AM

I've actually kept that user name despite living here for five years now in small part because I am amused by the tone of responses I receive here as a result of having that nasty nasty "Nor Cal" in my name. My family roots in Texas stretch back to 1859, by the way. For some xenophobic types here, that actually matters, as petty and sad as that reality is.

Again, we're talking about plastic bags. Plastic bags. In a city where hard liquor still cannot even be sold on a Sunday.

Last edited by ATX Wahine; 03-12-2013 at 09:11 AM..

Old 03-12-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I've actually kept that user name despite living here for five years now in small part because I am amused by the tone of responses I receive here as a result of having that nasty nasty "Nor Cal" in my name. My family roots in Texas stretch back to 1859, by the way. For some xenophobic types here, that actually matters, as petty and sad as that reality is.

Again, we're talking about plastic bags. Plastic bags.
Again, we're talking about the slippery slope of a over-regulating government. I suggest that it starts with things that sound as innocuous as a plastic bag ban.

If you're implying that I'm xenophobic, well, I am- to people run to a place that is a positive economic climate, and want to bring outmoded and unworkable policies with them that caused them to leave in the first place!

I couldn't care less where anyone's ancestors come from- as long as they're willing to work within the same principles that those in the 1800s set in Texas. Hard work, individualism, small government. What a shame some of us have forgotten that.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
If you're implying that I'm xenophobic, well, I am- to people run to a place that is a positive economic climate, and want to bring outmoded and unworkable policies with them that caused them to leave in the first place!
It's your city government that made this choice - not me, the person whom you claim "ran to this place" (without knowing a darn thing about what brought me here I might add). I simply agree with them in this particular case, much the way bible-thumpers here agree with the Sunday liquor ban. My opinion has nothing to do with where I am from, and it's just an obfuscating argument for those looking to complain endlessly about things to use it as means for rebuttal.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:19 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Again, we're talking about the slippery slope of a over-regulating government. I suggest that it starts with things that sound as innocuous as a plastic bag ban.

I couldn't care less where anyone's ancestors come from- as long as they're willing to work within the same principles that those in the 1800s set in Texas. Hard work, individualism, small government. What a shame some of us have forgotten that.
Exactly. That's why I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And thus liberty dies, not with a bang, but with a whimper.
As long as we're willing to legislate our minor preferences so that everyone is forced to make the same decision WE do, we're clearly willing to legislate the big things (as well has having ourselves required by legislation to make the choices that someone else would prefer we make but would rather support using force of law than convincing us of the merit of their preference).

Step by step, we dig our own grave, and don't even acknowledge that we're doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin