Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2013, 03:59 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komeht View Post
I'm not sure why the city didn't just take away the option of paper or plastic - the ban in place is very confusing and unnecessarily divisive. The handle thing is nonsensical. What - a bag with a handles suddenly is eco and green?

They could have just limited the ban to plastic bags - allowed all paper bags and achieved 90% of what the active bag nuts wanted.
True. Everyone could have gone back to paper bags. Those dept store shopping bags that used to cost $.10/$.25 were pretty strong and I used to reuse them.

"Back in the day..." everyone had paper bags and life didn't come to a standstill. The only ones with handles were the fancy shopping bags you got at the mall stores and those cost.

We used to use the paper bags for book covers for school and color the cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 04:56 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
Old bad laws don't justify new bad ones. Besides - you said "many". I won't insist on many. Name three.
BTW, I'm not saying the blue laws are good laws. Just pointing out that laws are made to reflect values sometimes (like "dry" counties)... or to regulate aesthetics (like cities banning cars parked on the lawn).

You want three of the blue laws that still remain? You would say three Ok, the two obvious ones are:

1) Alcohol sales restrictions: Sale of alcohol on Sunday, on weekdays after 9pm, etc - I guess I could claim these as actually more than one, but I won't
2) Car dealerships must be closed each week on one day of either Saturday or Sunday

... and OK, I couldn't find any others easily. So, I'll concede to you that I was incorrect that "many" blue laws still exist. But at least two of them still do.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:17 PM

157 posts, read 266,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
BTW, I'm not saying the blue laws are good laws. Just pointing out that laws are made to reflect values sometimes (like "dry" counties)... or to regulate aesthetics (like cities banning cars parked on the lawn).

You want three of the blue laws that still remain? You would say three Ok, the two obvious ones are:

1) Alcohol sales restrictions: Sale of alcohol on Sunday, on weekdays after 9pm, etc - I guess I could claim these as actually more than one, but I won't
2) Car dealerships must be closed each week on one day of either Saturday or Sunday

... and OK, I couldn't find any others easily. So, I'll concede to you that I was incorrect that "many" blue laws still exist. But at least two of them still do.
So it's settled then. The bag laws make as much sense as the blue laws.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:00 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by je4xff View Post
So it's settled then. The bag laws make as much sense as the blue laws.
Not even the same league.

But since you are so ready to declare that any law based on values is senseless: I suppose you are against any law that restricts abortion, correct?

Old 03-19-2013, 02:50 AM

404 posts, read 712,108 times
has anybody here mentioned how our precious Whole Foods Inc has no problem with giving people paper bags, because they care soooo much about the environment. they are soooo righteous, which is why a spoonful of corn at the salad bar costs $57 bucks. please
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin