Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 11:45 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,387,627 times

Advertisements

A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicity. Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 06:19 AM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
I believe in a strong role for the government to regulate the market appropriately. What is appropriate for me is not always appropriate for you. I don't see this ordinance as intrusive at all.
First, why is what is appropriate for you forced upon me by the rule of law? Where do you get the right, absent a threat to public health, to inject your values into a transaction between me and a merchant? Sorry - "unsightliness" doesn't qualify.

Second, the level of intrusiveness isn't the issue either. Allowing government to expand its control of our lives isn't dependent upon how much it is going to hurt. It is dependent upon the ill being cured. I am hard pressed to see how the difference between a paper grocery sack and a paper grocery sack with handles is a ill begging for a government cure.

Last edited by scm53; 03-15-2013 at 06:30 AM..

Old 03-15-2013, 08:56 AM

243 posts, read 279,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
I am hard pressed to see how the difference between a paper grocery sack and a paper grocery sack with handles is a ill begging for a government cure.
It sounds like some Control Freak came up with that one.

An unintended consequence of this is higher prices for consumers since retailers will pass the increased cost of bags on to their customers.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:57 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,313,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
So then we will disagree and that's that.
Yep, and it's a good thing.

Old 03-15-2013, 10:53 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
But won't those just end up in the trash, too???
I suppose the 4 mil bags could end up in the trash, but I suspect fewer of them will. I've never thrown out an IKEA bag that I paid for -- they make great storage, among other things.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:04 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,873,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scm53 View Post
First, why is what is appropriate for you forced upon me by the rule of law? Where do you get the right, absent a threat to public health, to inject your values into a transaction between me and a merchant? Sorry - "unsightliness" doesn't qualify.
Unsightliness does qualify. See business sign ordinances, tree protection ordinances, laws against parking in your front yard, etc. That's the difference between living in a city and out in rural areas. When you live in a city, sometimes they make rules to prevent a large group of people living in close proximity from looking like a refugee camp.

There are plenty of laws governing your transaction with a merchant, too. Thousands, actually. But since you mentioned values, I can't help but think of the Texas Blue Laws. Many of those are still around and they were purely, 100%, values-based laws injected into your business transactions with a merchant.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:11 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,544,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government, and this is necessary to close the circle of our felicity. Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address.

Sorry, you lost me at 'wise and frugal government'

Old 03-15-2013, 01:19 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llkltk View Post
Ba ba bacteria!
Wa wa wa wash them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capcat View Post
Yes, and Americans weren't a throw-away lot in previous generations. It would have been frowned upon, especially the "greatest generation" who knew how precious resources are. Anyone have a mom, grandmother or great grandmother who washed aluminum foil, to save for reuse?
This. Both of my grandmothers used cloth shopping bags because they hated the waste associated with paper/plastic bags. I lived in Europe for many years where bringing your own shopping bags was de rigueur and I continued the habit when I returned to the US several years ago.

And yes, my grandmothers and mother save(d) aluminum foil. I do too. When it's worn out from the constant folding and re-folding, I wad it up and recycle it. I also re-use plastic ziploc bags until they start to tear. Waste not, want not.

I applaud Austin's plastic bag ban and I hope cities in DFW do the same sooner rather than later.

Old 03-15-2013, 02:57 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,275,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
There are plenty of laws governing your transaction with a merchant, too. Thousands, actually. But since you mentioned values, I can't help but think of the Texas Blue Laws. Many of those are still around and they were purely, 100%, values-based laws injected into your business transactions with a merchant.
Old bad laws don't justify new bad ones. Besides - you said "many". I won't insist on many. Name three.

Old 03-15-2013, 03:10 PM

3,834 posts, read 5,759,538 times
I'm not sure why the city didn't just take away the option of paper or plastic - the ban in place is very confusing and unnecessarily divisive. The handle thing is nonsensical. What - a bag with a handles suddenly is eco and green?

They could have just limited the ban to plastic bags - allowed all paper bags and achieved 90% of what the active bag nuts wanted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin