Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2010, 02:40 PM

268 posts, read 344,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ1977 View Post
You hit it right on the money. Being African American from the state of Iowa, with roots in Mississippi, I am always pleasantly surprised whenever I go "home" and see my relatives and other black strangers living in middle-to-upper middle class homes and neighborhoods. That represents POWER--political, social, and cultural. Hell, my friends and I call it a kind of "reverse culture shock", but a good one.

As far as the North's concerned, I have been to places such as Chicago, Indianapolis, the Twin Cities, etc., and there's not a damn city up North that comes close to the influence that African-Americans wield in the Atlanta area. There are defined lines that whites and non-whites do not cross, geographically speaking, in many Northern cities. They are invisible, but you know not to cross them. What do they call it? Oh yeah (scratching my head sarcastically)...SUBTLE RACISM.

What I respect about Atlanta is that African-Americans with education and clout are spread throughout the metropolitan area. As far as Forsyth County's concerned, yes, there are blacks in the county--roughly 4-5,000 in 2010. This, in a county that was openly hostile to blacks as late as 1987. I remember as a 10-year old boy watching the Oprah Winfrey Show that she was conducting in the county, because of the violence that occured after a march there, and the attitudes were sickening, to say the least. Also, as late as 1990, there were a grand "total" of 12--COUNT THEM, 12--blacks in the entire county out of 30,000 residents!! Now look at the county in 2010: over 150,000 residents from all over the world, generally conservative, but more reflective of the United States of 2010 rather than 1910.

As far as a previous poster's comment about the Twin Cities area, they're joking, correct? Yes, there are lots of black professionals in the TC area, but there's not a neighborhood in the entire TC area that's black and middle class. No, do not count the blacks living in low-income and section 8 housing in Brooklyn Park. I'm talking about blacks with money, education, and clout. In fact, the Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minn. area, a supposedly "liberal" bastion when it comes to race relations (lol), has the poorest black population in the United States out of the top 100 largest metro areas. I would consider the Atlanta region to be a lot more progressive than a Denver, Seattle, or Minneapolis. Its easy to think of yourself as progressive when damn near everybody looks like you.

Madison??!! WTF??!! LOL
atl more progressive than
seattle wtf? there is a community college damn near at every interstate exit here. we counted 8 in metro seattle. i lived in the atl for 7 yrs i have been here in seattle for two.seattle has a very large minority population they just are not black people.race relations are light yrs ahead of the atl and the south..they give a damn about the enviroment.blacks really do not have clout there either you got numbers in atl you really don't have money.the indians own all the gas stations and hotels. white boys all the major real estate and land.we are not a economic power anywhere in the usa we are consumers and entertainers.black lawyers and doctors everywhere not just the atl.a unskilled black man in atlanta is screwed there too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Can someone please post some information, raw data, statistics, ANYTHING to back up claims that:

1. A majority of the blacks that have moved to Atlanta since 2000 have college degrees/high educational attainment
2. The black people moving to Atlanta have higher incomes than blacks moving to other metros

The OP's article had nothing to do with the income of the blacks moving here, nor any mention of their educational attainment.

On the basis of this forum, the black relos seem to be evenly split between college educated blacks and single mothers on section 8. But based on the drastic post-1990 demographic changes that have occurred in the southern counties, coupled with the crime increases those counties are seeing, I would guess the majority of black people moving here belong to the latter group.
thank you there are a bunch of those college educated blacks working in customer service gigs there instead of expanding their horizions and going somewhere else and getting a better job

and a ton of poor folks belived the hype and ran there and now are thugging it up there

Old 05-23-2010, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57thandMalcolm View Post
I hear you. But since most Blacks experience racism no matter who the President is, people of education and means have a vital interest in living places where they feel less hostility and can live in peace.
they would be better off in seattle and minneapolis then

Old 05-23-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
It's more common for a mixed child to be more geared to the there African side... The are plenty of black that go to Ivey league schools... The sad part about America is this race thing is never going to cease.. Hopefully the new generation of adults can change the views on race.... It's ashame I have been to many countries and never really scene people have as much of a race issue like America. It's ridiculous ridiculous... It's ashame that it took this long to get a president from another other than white... I see why there are alot Americans moving to other countries..
it will change as the older generations die out look at the youngsters they date anybody

Old 05-23-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Atlanta is safe for a city its size, check the 2009 crime stats and compare it to other cities

Segregation wise, its as segregated as St Louis, NYC, LA, Chicago, DC, etc. Every city in the world is segregated by either race or class. You should travel a little more and you will see this.
i agree with you by class. race hell no see minneapolis and damn sure seattle

Old 05-23-2010, 03:29 PM

213 posts, read 420,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchseven View Post
thank you there are a bunch of those college educated blacks working in customer service gigs there instead of expanding their horizions and going somewhere else and getting a better job

and a ton of poor folks belived the hype and ran there and now are thugging it up there
Yep Just like a bunch of College educated white asians doing the samething... They have a degree but yet a sales associate at Marshalls.... and i wonder why most blacks in the state of washington live in Tacoma

Old 05-23-2010, 06:21 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,357,384 times
Quote:
we are not a economic power anywhere in the usa we are consumers and entertainers.black lawyers and doctors everywhere not just the atl.a unskilled black man in atlanta is screwed there too.
For the most part I can agree with this. Its kind for a different thread but as a whole blks dont use their economic spending power.

Quote:
we are not a economic power anywhere in the usa we are consumers and entertainers.black lawyers and doctors everywhere not just the atl.a unskilled black man in atlanta is screwed there too.
Yes this is also true. I think this is the problem with the whole blk mecca thing. Certain ppl get the msg screwed up and think that because they are blk Atl is the land of milk and honey for them. This is so not the case. I think their is opportunity everywhere and it can be nice to live near other AAs but it also can be NOT nice at all.

Thats all I got to say about that.

Old 05-23-2010, 07:27 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,097,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityrover View Post
Well try not to screw the city like detroit and cleveland pls.
This thread is about Atlanta being number 2 in the AA population, Are you taking to black people?

Old 05-23-2010, 07:57 PM

213 posts, read 420,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
For the most part I can agree with this. Its kind for a different thread but as a whole blks dont use their economic spending power.

Yes this is also true. I think this is the problem with the whole blk mecca thing. Certain ppl get the msg screwed up and think that because they are blk Atl is the land of milk and honey for them. This is so not the case. I think their is opportunity everywhere and it can be nice to live near other AAs but it also can be NOT nice at all.

Thats all I got to say about that.
Yeah they can be lawyers and Doctors anywhere. But alot of them just choose Atlanta for that place.. I dont think It has anything to do with a black mecca. I think it has something to do with the Working class blacks here and the strong representation it has here... So thats an inspiration to lots of young black adults.... I know for me I never saw Atlanta as a black mecca. But I was amazed at the amount of successful black educated men and women in Atlanta... Growing up millitary in San Diego thats something you dont see alot of....

Old 05-23-2010, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulchild23 View Post
Yeah they can be lawyers and Doctors anywhere. But alot of them just choose Atlanta for that place.. I dont think It has anything to do with a black mecca. I think it has something to do with the Working class blacks here and the strong representation it has here... So thats an inspiration to lots of young black adults.... I know for me I never saw Atlanta as a black mecca. But I was amazed at the amount of successful black educated men and women in Atlanta... Growing up millitary in San Diego thats something you dont see alot of....
that,s crazy what is a black military officer.there are a lot of fakes in the atl because they are driving a suv with rims, do not think they are making big paper there.go in those apts in college park decatur and riverdale and see for your self.i saw blacks living in nice homes everywhere i have been.what you think someone with a successful practice is going to just jump up and move to the atl because a lot of blacks live there .do you think those black folks in atl are the only black folks in america making money.you get over quicker a lot of times where there is not a lot of us at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta