Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 12:14 PM

2,138 posts, read 6,325,200 times

Advertisements

...and to those who say "big deal"--well it really is a big deal in regards to measuring the progress that African Americans have made since the Civil Rights Movement--particularly in the American South. Despite the current polarized political climate--it's a true testament to the progress that the South has made in race relations, which in many ways has progressed further than other regions in the US given the harsh climate that existed in the South as recently as 40 years ago and also the fact that many northern and western metros still exhibit rigid patterns of residential segregation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 01:09 PM

99 posts, read 327,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
...and to those who say "big deal"--well it really is a big deal in regards to measuring the progress that African Americans have made since the Civil Rights Movement--particularly in the American South. Despite the current polarized political climate--it's a true testament to the progress that the South has made in race relations, which in many ways has progressed further than other regions in the US given the harsh climate that existed in the South as recently as 40 years ago and also the fact that many northern and western metros still exhibit rigid patterns of residential segregation.

You hit it right on the money. Being African American from the state of Iowa, with roots in Mississippi, I am always pleasantly surprised whenever I go "home" and see my relatives and other black strangers living in middle-to-upper middle class homes and neighborhoods. That represents POWER--political, social, and cultural. Hell, my friends and I call it a kind of "reverse culture shock", but a good one.

As far as the North's concerned, I have been to places such as Chicago, Indianapolis, the Twin Cities, etc., and there's not a damn city up North that comes close to the influence that African-Americans wield in the Atlanta area. There are defined lines that whites and non-whites do not cross, geographically speaking, in many Northern cities. They are invisible, but you know not to cross them. What do they call it? Oh yeah (scratching my head sarcastically)...SUBTLE RACISM.

What I respect about Atlanta is that African-Americans with education and clout are spread throughout the metropolitan area. As far as Forsyth County's concerned, yes, there are blacks in the county--roughly 4-5,000 in 2010. This, in a county that was openly hostile to blacks as late as 1987. I remember as a 10-year old boy watching the Oprah Winfrey Show that she was conducting in the county, because of the violence that occured after a march there, and the attitudes were sickening, to say the least. Also, as late as 1990, there were a grand "total" of 12--COUNT THEM, 12--blacks in the entire county out of 30,000 residents!! Now look at the county in 2010: over 150,000 residents from all over the world, generally conservative, but more reflective of the United States of 2010 rather than 1910.

As far as a previous poster's comment about the Twin Cities area, they're joking, correct? Yes, there are lots of black professionals in the TC area, but there's not a neighborhood in the entire TC area that's black and middle class. No, do not count the blacks living in low-income and section 8 housing in Brooklyn Park. I'm talking about blacks with money, education, and clout. In fact, the Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minn. area, a supposedly "liberal" bastion when it comes to race relations (lol), has the poorest black population in the United States out of the top 100 largest metro areas. I would consider the Atlanta region to be a lot more progressive than a Denver, Seattle, or Minneapolis. Its easy to think of yourself as progressive when damn near everybody looks like you.

Madison??!! WTF??!! LOL

Old 05-17-2010, 01:18 PM

342 posts, read 913,631 times
I don't know what it is about atlanta! Its like a magnet for afican americans!! 3 of my family members have made the move to atl from baltimore!!! I think its just the quality of life!! And many people from atlanta may dispute, but coming from someone who has been to almost every major city up and down the east coast, atlanta by far has been one of the cleanest cities ive ever seen!! Baltimore, dc, philly, nothing can compare atl is just where its at!!!

Old 05-17-2010, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ1977 View Post
Its easy to think of yourself as progressive when damn near everybody looks like you.
Spot on!

Old 05-17-2010, 02:53 PM

142 posts, read 419,051 times
I'm black and just moved to NYC from ATL....I'll say that ATL has the more professional bunch of the AA population:-/ I hardly see middle class black folk around these parts.

Old 05-17-2010, 04:50 PM

1,124 posts, read 3,596,717 times
What constitutes a black mecca? What does that really mean?

Old 05-17-2010, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronstlcards View Post
What constitutes a black mecca? What does that really mean?
A black mecca is any metro with a rapidly growing African American population--primarily stemming from in-migration from other areas--of which a substantial portion has at least a Bachelors Degree in regards to educational attainment, as well as a mid to upper level of household income.

Atlanta and DC have traditionally been the more established black meccas over the past forth years--with other metros more recently emerging as black meccas, such as Charlotte, Nashville, Dallas, and Houston.

Old 05-17-2010, 05:25 PM

663 posts, read 1,865,640 times
I think this is a great development. Atlanta's vibe, uniqueness and flair is largely derived from its large black population. If it weren't for this, Atlanta would be a very boring corporate suburb.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:02 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,710,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noladarling View Post
I'm black and just moved to NYC from ATL....I'll say that ATL has the more professional bunch of the AA population:-/ I hardly see middle class black folk around these parts.
What part of NYC are you located? Because NYC has a lot of AA that are educated.

Old 05-17-2010, 06:54 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,110,426 times
Can someone please post some information, raw data, statistics, ANYTHING to back up claims that:

1. A majority of the blacks that have moved to Atlanta since 2000 have college degrees/high educational attainment
2. The black people moving to Atlanta have higher incomes than blacks moving to other metros

The OP's article had nothing to do with the income of the blacks moving here, nor any mention of their educational attainment.

On the basis of this forum, the black relos seem to be evenly split between college educated blacks and single mothers on section 8. But based on the drastic post-1990 demographic changes that have occurred in the southern counties, coupled with the crime increases those counties are seeing, I would guess the majority of black people moving here belong to the latter group.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta