Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 07:43 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,354,042 times

Advertisements

The President is Black. Isn't that the ultimate sign of progress? When are we going to get over this stuff. Articles like this do our society no good. What is the #2 city for White Population? Asian? Hispanic? WHO CARES!!! Stop keeping supporting this devisive garbage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 07:48 PM

719 posts, read 1,334,134 times
Wait! Dekalb is one of the most Affluent places for AA....HAHAHA...I honestly think that is SO wrong... I really DO NOT consider DeKalb a desireable place to live. But that is just my opinion...The only parts of Dekalb I consider Affluent are Sandy Springs/ Dunwoody Area, and little pockets such as Decatur....Also, S. Forsyth is changing alot due to it's proximity to Gwinnett and N. Fulton. It is becoming a very mixed area for whites, blacks, and Asians...Very nice mixed area in my opinion....

Old 05-17-2010, 07:49 PM

606 posts, read 2,006,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
Wait! Dekalb is one of the most Affluent places for AA....HAHAHA...Funny. The only parts of Dekalb I consider Affluent are Sandy Springs/ Dunwoody Area, and little pockets such as Decatur....Also, S. Forsyth is changing alot due to it's proximity to Gwinnett and N. Fulton. It is becoming a very mixed area for whites, blacks, and Asians...Very Nice in my opinion.
Sandy Springs is in Dekalb? Also, I question whether Dekalb is one of the most affluent places for AA. I've been to South Dekalb and I didn't see too many affluent Aa.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:51 PM

606 posts, read 2,006,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolieandre View Post
Wait! Dekalb is one of the most Affluent places for AA....HAHAHA...Funny. The only parts of Dekalb I consider Affluent are Sandy Springs/ Dunwoody Area, and little pockets such as Decatur....Also, S. Forsyth is changing alot due to it's proximity to Gwinnett and N. Fulton. It is becoming a very mixed area for whites, blacks, and Asians...Very Nice in my opinion.
Come on, we all know Forsyth is still by far the least diverse out of all the metro Atlanta counties. I guess when 2 or 3 AA's move into Forsyth, they consider that diversity. In terms of demograhpics, I consider Forsyth to be one of the mountan counties. Basically every county in or near the North GA mountains is 90% + white.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 PM

No technically it's only Dunwoody, but I alwys merge them since they are so close and they are also alwasy mentioned togther as a duo....

Old 05-17-2010, 07:55 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,425,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ1977 View Post
You hit it right on the money. Being African American from the state of Iowa, with roots in Mississippi, I am always pleasantly surprised whenever I go "home" and see my relatives and other black strangers living in middle-to-upper middle class homes and neighborhoods. That represents POWER--political, social, and cultural. Hell, my friends and I call it a kind of "reverse culture shock", but a good one.
The South has made a lot of progress over the past 20 years, but it still has a long way to go to catch up with the North. Mississippi is still the poorest state in the country, the South still has the worst public education system in the country, and segregation is still rampant outside of the major metros.

Quote:
As far as the North's concerned, I have been to places such as Chicago, Indianapolis, the Twin Cities, etc., and there's not a damn city up North that comes close to the influence that African-Americans wield in the Atlanta area. There are defined lines that whites and non-whites do not cross, geographically speaking, in many Northern cities. They are invisible, but you know not to cross them. What do they call it? Oh yeah (scratching my head sarcastically)...SUBTLE RACISM.
I can see your point about Chicago's segregation, but not the Twin Cities. Nobody cares about what race you are up here in Minnesota, while it is still a HUGE deal in the South. The Twin Cities has the highest number of interracial couples and children in the country. How much of that do you see down south? I'll take subtle racism over the overt racism and hatred that is common in the South.

I wouldn't consider Indianapolis to be a Northern city.

Quote:
What I respect about Atlanta is that African-Americans with education and clout are spread throughout the metropolitan area. As far as Forsyth County's concerned, yes, there are blacks in the county--roughly 4-5,000 in 2010. This, in a county that was openly hostile to blacks as late as 1987. I remember as a 10-year old boy watching the Oprah Winfrey Show that she was conducting in the county, because of the violence that occured after a march there, and the attitudes were sickening, to say the least. Also, as late as 1990, there were a grand "total" of 12--COUNT THEM, 12--blacks in the entire county out of 30,000 residents!! Now look at the county in 2010: over 150,000 residents from all over the world, generally conservative, but more reflective of the United States of 2010 rather than 1910.
I'm not arguing that Georgia hasn't come a long way, just that it still is not on the level of Minnesota (or Iowa) in racial tolerance.

Quote:
As far as a previous poster's comment about the Twin Cities area, they're joking, correct? Yes, there are lots of black professionals in the TC area, but there's not a neighborhood in the entire TC area that's black and middle class. No, do not count the blacks living in low-income and section 8 housing in Brooklyn Park.
That's because there are very few neighborhoods that are majority black in the Cities. We don't have segregation like Atlanta or Chicago. You can find wealthy/middle class blacks in Edina, Plymouth, Maple Grove, Eden Prairie, Wayzata, Woodbury, and pretty much any upper to middle-class suburb.

Quote:
I'm talking about blacks with money, education, and clout. In fact, the Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minn. area, a supposedly "liberal" bastion when it comes to race relations (lol), has the poorest black population in the United States out of the top 100 largest metro areas. I would consider the Atlanta region to be a lot more progressive than a Denver, Seattle, or Minneapolis. Its easy to think of yourself as progressive when damn near everybody looks like you.

Madison??!! WTF??!! LOL
Those statistics are skewed because many of the blacks in the TC area are first-generation Somalian refugees, who came here with no money. American blacks in the Cities aren't any poorer than in other cities.

Also, the Cities are very diverse - despite the stereotype.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:56 PM

Yes, Forsyth is the least, but S. Forsyth area is Not. It really is changing alot. and not just becuase of white and black. Because of all races...

Old 05-17-2010, 08:01 PM

Actually from my experience I have found the Midwest to be Real segregated towards diversity. Especially when they see an AA move in down the street. Some cities where you can feel it are Cincinatti, Toledo and Detroit....

Old 05-17-2010, 08:06 PM

16,714 posts, read 29,564,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8325 View Post
Sandy Springs is in Dekalb? Also, I question whether Dekalb is one of the most affluent places for AA. I've been to South Dekalb and I didn't see too many affluent Aa.

Well, then...you need to visit more of South DeKalb (and Sandy Springs is not in DeKalb--but Dunwoody is.).

Take a look at the map below and notice the high socioeconomic status (SES) of most of South DeKalb County. South DeKalb is way more than just Candler Road/McAfee Road/Glenwood Road, etc.

http://www.dekalb.k12.ga.us/public/f...6FE4D46443.pdf

*If you have questions about specifics on the map (the name of the particularly affluent areas, etc.), feel free to ask. Enjoy!

Old 05-17-2010, 08:07 PM

39 posts, read 159,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
The President is Black. Isn't that the ultimate sign of progress? When are we going to get over this stuff. Articles like this do our society no good. What is the #2 city for White Population? Asian? Hispanic? WHO CARES!!! Stop keeping supporting this devisive garbage.
I hear you. But since most Blacks experience racism no matter who the President is, people of education and means have a vital interest in living places where they feel less hostility and can live in peace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta