Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2015, 12:35 PM

29 posts, read 35,891 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone! I am being transferred to PTC soon but really don't want to live in PTC. I am a 26 year old female engineer and I want to live in a nice urban area. It sounds like Buckhead would be my scene but that would be way too far of a commute. Is there any ATL area that isn't crazy far from Peachtree City that I could live in??

1. Budget - $1400ish/month for apartment
2. House/Condo/Townhome? - Rent
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - Will be working in Peachtree City
4. Children(public school vs. private) - NONE
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - Urban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? - not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - upscale young professional area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 08:06 AM

4 posts, read 14,145 times
Moving at the end of March, job at EMORY. We have lived in Atlanta before (Dunwoody) but we would love to live close to the university and rent for a year or two before buying.
Looking for a 2 or 3 bdrm/ 2 bath home with garage. Up to 1600./1700.$.
Would be nice to be able to walk or bike to university, but up to 4 miles out would be great.
Just the 2 of us, but we like roomy and to have space for visitors and stuff.
No pets.
Anyone have any ideas?
We still have to sell the house we are in so money is an issue until sold.

Old 02-26-2015, 06:37 AM

142 posts, read 169,467 times
To the recent posters, if you repost your questions in your own thread on the Atlanta board you will get responses.

Salexa-PTC is a great area with great schools. However, it is far from Gwinnett and Sandy Springs. If you have friends and family in those areas that you will be spending time with regularly, you'll end up fighting with Atlanta traffic all the time to do so. You can find great schools in those locations (and many other surrounding areas as well).

Old 02-26-2015, 09:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,474 times
Default moving to atlanta

1. Budget 1000-1400
2. House/Condo/Townhome? house/townhome
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) commute
4. Children(public school vs. private) daycare
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two Mix
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? not important
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. Families oriented type people dont care about race
8-work location ,, Downtown on spring st

thank you in advance

Read more: [URL]https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlanta/847517-moving-atlanta-soon-read-first-decatur.html#ixzz3Ss3Ga2sO[/URL]

Old 03-06-2015, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,002 times
1. Budget = $900-$1300
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Looking to rent for now
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) - Will be employed at VA at Fort Mcpherson, commuting
4. Children(public school vs. private) - 14 year old, so high school needed, prefarably with diversity
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two - a mix of the two, safe, and diverse
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Would be nice but not a deciding factor

Old 03-10-2015, 02:01 PM

1 posts, read 2,279 times
Hello everyone ! I've been in Atlanta a few months now I am looking for my own place . I looked at a 1 bedroom in a brand new apartment STEELWORKS in Atlantic Station . The apartment is beautiful but I am concerned about reviews of The Atlantic Station area at Night ( mostly old reviews)and how close it is to Bankhead . So can anyone give me an updated opinion on The area ? I also looked at apts in Brookhaven (Off Clairmont Rd and the 85 ) and Dunwoody near Perimeter ( gables, Camden, and Amli) My biggest Concern is Safety !

Old 03-11-2015, 12:42 PM

3 posts, read 12,179 times
My husband and I are considering relocating to the Lake Lanier area from MA with our two kids who are elementary school aged and I would love some insight.

1. Budget - 200-300K
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Single Family Home
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Commute, my husband's company is based in Alpharetta so work shouldn't be a problem.
4. Children(public school vs. private) I'd prefer public, so we're definitely looking for a town with good schools.
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two- We like a small town with a quaint feel. I'd like a nice downtown area with some shops, restaurants, etc.
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not really that important as we don't need to go into Atlanta regularly
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. We are very interested in Sterling on the Lake in Flowery Branch. We like the idea of a master planned community, mainly because I think it would make it much easier to meet new people and not feel so isolated in a new area where we don't know anyone. We'd like an area with other families.

We both grew up on the ocean so the idea of living near a large lake is very appealing so we can still be near water. We also like to hike and spend time outdoors whenever possible. I have been trying to do my own research and thought I had settled on Flowery Branch, but then read some comments in this forum about the schools being sub par and there being gang problems, which we definitely don't want. Safety is a top priority. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give!

Old 03-17-2015, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,113 times
I will be moving to the atlanta metro area this summer, and will be working in Sandy Springs. I would like to find a pet friendly rental home with a fenced in backyard, but don't know the specific area to live in. I would prefer more rural than in the city, and being female would like a very safe area.

1. Budget - <900/month
2. House/Condo/Townhome? Single Family Home
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home) Commute
4. Children(public school vs. private) not a factor
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two- rural or suburban
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not? Not a big factor
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood. - safe area is the most important

Old 03-29-2015, 04:37 PM

66 posts, read 73,960 times
Under $200,000
Condo or townhouse
Commute to vinings area
Prefer urban area
Young people

Old 04-09-2015, 08:25 AM

2 posts, read 4,006 times
Default Moving to North Atlanta area - Advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Sticky?!?! If something similar is already posted...sorry.

Helpful Tip,
For all of those about to move or thinking about moving to the Atlanta metro area, in order for us to better assist you and for you to get more responses please provide us with as much of the following information as possible in your initial post please:

1. Budget
2. House/Condo/Townhome?
3. Employment Status(commute/work from home)
4. Children(public school vs. private)
5. Suburban or Urban lifestyle preference or a mix of the two
6. Easy access to public transit, important or not?
7. Preferable demographics of desired neighborhood.

These are just a few off the top of my head, feel free to add more.

My family is relocating to North Atlanta and looking for advice about areas. To answer the questions above:

1. Renting - $1500-1800/month
2. Prefer house, consider condo or townhome
3. One of us will work in Kennesaw, one at Emory
4. 3 children (ages 3, 6, 10) - public school. Strong academics.
5. Flexible on suburban vs. urban
6. Public transit not an issue
7. Good schools most important, safe neighborhood with room for the kids to play, possibly community pool/playground in neighborhood.

We are mainly struggling with the school decision. We prefer East Cobb including Lassiter/Pope/Walton (but rental market for decent houses in our price range seems very competitive) but also looking at Harrison, Hillgrove, and maybe Kell? Wouldn't be against Woodstock area, but it will probably be to difficult for the Emory commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta