Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:12 AM

449 posts, read 1,181,055 times

Advertisements

I just named two in the post above. Cascade Heights (were Andrew Young and Hank Aaron reside/previously resided) and Sandstone in Lithonia (were Kelly Price has/had a property).

I know those are two extremes (very wealthy black neighborhoods), but there are other neighborhoods that blacks move to and know how to conduct themselves as well.

My cousin moved to Conyers in a predominantly black neighborhood without all the issues you all have mentioned
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2012, 09:27 AM

449 posts, read 1,181,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINDY2000 View Post
Wish I could say that this is racism! As a a black professional female the observations in this post are true. I NEVER want to live in majority or even close to majority black area. My husband and I escaped from Dekalb county with our lives. I want to live in peace and quite. I enjoy reading in the park, keeping an immaculate yard, and not seeing chicken bones in the parking lot. I am sorry but it is the truth. I am not saying that Whites don't have some awful ways about treating others who do not look like them, but I can deal with that any day than live around people that have nothing better to do than "pop lock it drop it" in the middle of the street! Call me an uncle TOM, but our ancestors( slaves and oppressed) did not fight for this mess that exist now.
Something tells me you were living in a cheap apartment complex in Dekalb and didn't own your own property where you would have been able to keep an "immaculate yard".

You wouldn't have had to deal with a parking lot if you had a home in one of the nicer neighborhoods in Dekalb.

Either that or you're really not an African American and you're just trolling.

Old 05-15-2012, 12:14 PM

2 posts, read 7,348 times
ATL_II_DMV

It is never good to make assumptions! Not that there is anything wrong with living in an apartment ,but I have never lived in an apartment and I am not a troll. Even as a child my parents have always owned their homes. I possibly have a different perspective on life b/c one of my parents comes from another country. ( and yes, we are black)

When we lived in Dekalb county we owned our home. Yes we foolishly purchased from another state. My husband and I did not realize that simply because a neighborhood looks decent from the surface, that it is safe or that the surrounding areas are nice. The chicken bones were in a Walmart parking lot along with boxes of purchased items that were discarded ( as if the parking lot was one gigantic garbage can) by the patrons. And yes, I am 100% black and would never change that FYI.

People with your mentality is what is wrong with our community. Instead of acknowledging the faults you criticize or just deny. And because truths are not acknowledged, changes are never made. What I said is true and you know it.

By the way, I hope you put down a good pre-emergent, but in case you did not, you can try a post-emergent. It is a little too late to seed for fescue because it will not develop a good root system before summer. I personally prefer zoysia grass. And all of my perennials that I planted 1 year ago, have grown back twice their original size.

You see ATL, it is not about having money, but it is about taking pride in where you live and appreciating what you have. Peace!

Old 09-17-2012, 03:05 PM

8 posts, read 13,487 times
Sorry about bumping thread ,but I am from Louisiana & curious about property values(acreage) in Conyers.

Is the 30012 zip code around the yellow river/Irwin Bridge Rd/Dennard rd/Farmer Rd a flood zone or something?

Acreage is listing there for $3000-$4000 per acre & sounds relatively inexpensive to be within 30 minutes of Atlanta(compared to the Baton Rouge/New Orleans metros)

I remember the flooding around the Yellow river area in 2009 & it makes me suspicious/reluctant to buy land in the area.

Please help I would like to buy some acreage within the next month or 2 ,but not in a flood zone. Why is some property so inexpensive there & others not far from this areA asking for far more?

Thanks

Old 09-17-2012, 03:29 PM

7,375 posts, read 6,585,062 times
If it helps, here's a link to the Rockdale County parcel maps, select the flood maps option to get an idea of what the county considers to be flood areas. The legend is on the right, you'll probably have to click it.
Rockdale County Parcel Maps
As to the asking prices, I couldn't answer. But be advised however that "30 minutes from Atlanta" only applies outside of the rush hours. During rush hour, it can be as long as an hour and a half getting downtown, and the only transit service is stuck in that same traffic, and primarily runs peak period, peak direction, with a few reverse commute buses, but also only during peak times.

Old 09-17-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
If it helps, here's a link to the Rockdale County parcel maps, select the flood maps option to get an idea of what the county considers to be flood areas. The legend is on the right, you'll probably have to click it.
As to the asking prices, I couldn't answer. But be advised however that "30 minutes from Atlanta" only applies outside of the rush hours. During rush hour, it can be as long as an hour and a half getting downtown, and the only transit service is stuck in that same traffic, and primarily runs peak period, peak direction, with a few reverse commute buses, but also only during peak times.
Thanks a lot Matt. The property is hopefully for my future retirement/hobby farm so I am not as concerned ,as of now ,with the dreaded Atlanta rush hour commute times . Just wanted a 'rural' property (5-10 acres or so)within reasonable distance of urban conveniences. The area is fairly convenient to I-20/Hartsfield Airport & downtown Atlanta.

Some of the prices were quite low & I just thought maybe Conyers area residents could give a little info.

I vaguely remember the flooding of the Yellow River area in 2009 & thought that was maybe the culprit.

Thanks & any other info about property prices or taxes on vacant land in the area would be welcome .

Thanks.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:22 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,751,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar71 View Post
Sorry about bumping thread ,but I am from Louisiana & curious about property values(acreage) in Conyers.

Is the 30012 zip code around the yellow river/Irwin Bridge Rd/Dennard rd/Farmer Rd a flood zone or something?

Acreage is listing there for $3000-$4000 per acre & sounds relatively inexpensive to be within 30 minutes of Atlanta(compared to the Baton Rouge/New Orleans metros)

I remember the flooding around the Yellow river area in 2009 & it makes me suspicious/reluctant to buy land in the area.

Please help I would like to buy some acreage within the next month or 2 ,but not in a flood zone. Why is some property so inexpensive there & others not far from this areA asking for far more?

Thanks
North of the river is at a high elevation compared to south of the River so I don't think flooding would be an issue. In 2009, the river was high and hitting the overpasses but I don't remember going on its bank in North Rockdale. I could be wrong though because it has been a few years.

I'm assuming, if you go a bit further in North Rockdale, you may be able to get some cheaper property.

Like Matt said, you are 30-40 minutes of downtown or the northside during non rush hour. I can attest, it can take upwards of 2 hours during a bad rush hour to get home .

Old 09-18-2012, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
North of the river is at a high elevation compared to south of the River so I don't think flooding would be an issue. In 2009, the river was high and hitting the overpasses but I don't remember going on its bank in North Rockdale. I could be wrong though because it has been a few years.

I'm assuming, if you go a bit further in North Rockdale, you may be able to get some cheaper property.

Like Matt said, you are 30-40 minutes of downtown or the northside during non rush hour. I can attest, it can take upwards of 2 hours during a bad rush hour to get home .
I should have said within 30 miles(instead of 30 minutes) of Atlanta because I have heard about the awful rush hour commutes. As a retirement/hobby farm hopefully I will not have to regularly deal with rush hour commutes.

Interesting that you see that vacant land can be found for even less than the $3-$4000 per acre I have seen listed? I assume I would have find
'For sale by owner' & not realtor listings?

Old 09-18-2012, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Finally got an opportunity to look at the site you directed me too above & this is the most technically informative thing I have got in the month or so I have been searching for property.

Should have said 30 miles instead of 30 minutes as far as commuting.

Thanks Matt the info/site is invaluable.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:45 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,751,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar71 View Post
I should have said within 30 miles(instead of 30 minutes) of Atlanta because I have heard about the awful rush hour commutes. As a retirement/hobby farm hopefully I will not have to regularly deal with rush hour commutes.

Interesting that you see that vacant land can be found for even less than the $3-$4000 per acre I have seen listed? I assume I would have find
'For sale by owner' & not realtor listings?
You may have already found them since you are searching in my general area.

I found one of the listings that you described and I see its at about $3,300 an acre. I doubt, you can beat that.

I see a few signs of land for sale but they probably aren't on the market anymore but if you drive around this area (20, Irwin Bridge, Hightower Trail), you should see a few lots.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta