Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:24 AM

180 posts, read 267,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by npcross
I wouldn't consider Conyers. We are selling our house here along with the other 48 people in our neighborhood. It's not the town it used to be. Way too crowded and the schools aren't what they used to be. There's a huge influx of people moving in from the Lithonia area.
Wow, I've never heard of an entire neighborhood selling their houses. There must be a lot of competition between the residents, and I bet I could find a great deal!

There is no more KKK and racism in Atlanta and the South in general than anywhere else in this country; in fact, the nationwide membership of the KKK is only estimated at 5,000 - and dispersed throughout the U.S. Church arson and cross burnings were several decades ago and part of Southern history that 99% of the population is not proud of and would like to forget. It's not currently an accurate description of anywhere in the Atlanta metro area.

When thinking about a town like Conyers you would need to consider each neighborhood on a case by case basis. The official website can give you more information: City of Conyers, GA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 7,055 times
having moved there from las vegas, i've lived in covington since 11/2006. while it's been a big culture shock for us, i have not seen the kkk, nor felt discriminated or disrespected by anyone. but to be honest, had i known the kkk were headquartered in covington, i would not have purchased a home there.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:34 PM

201 posts, read 1,012,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illott View Post
By 'Lithonia area' you mean black people right? Bc Lithonia is predominantly black. No need to sugar coat anything, we're all adults here. Shameful.

I don't think it is shameful. Buying a home is a big investment. Yes, I moved to Cumming so you know the demographics here. You gotta be realistic.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:41 PM

348 posts, read 1,021,220 times
Personally I'd stay away from Conyers, but that's me.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:28 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,844 times
I've lived here almost 5 years now and I have never anything about the KKK in Conyers nor have I heard about any marches etc etc in Rockdale County .

Conyers is ok...Pretty diverse town...Traffic is pretty bad in the southern portion of the county because they have alot more developments compared to the North part of the county (north of I-20).

The main issue seems to be the old timers who lived out here forever, They are upset at the "outsiders" moving into the county and destroying their tranquil world in their opinion. Alot of them are moving out because too many blacks and Hispanics are moving out to this area. They won't admit to it but that's the main issue . It doesn't help that new CEO of the Rockdale County public school is black either. Just read the Rockdale Citizen and the Citizen poll. Some of the comments would be funny, if they weren't so sad .

Old 10-10-2007, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
I've lived here almost 5 years now and I have never anything about the KKK in Conyers nor have I heard about any marches etc etc in Rockdale County .

Conyers is ok...Pretty diverse town...Traffic is pretty bad in the southern portion of the county because they have alot more developments compared to the North part of the county (north of I-20).

The main issue seems to be the old timers who lived out here forever, They are upset at the "outsiders" moving into the county and destroying their tranquil world in their opinion. Alot of them are moving out because too many blacks and Hispanics are moving out to this area. They won't admit to it but that's the main issue . It doesn't help that new CEO of the Rockdale County public school is black either. Just read the Rockdale Citizen and the Citizen poll. Some of the comments would be funny, if they weren't so sad .
I don't think it's fair for you to discount the "old timers" feelings on what is happening to their city. Alot of the change in Conyers, isn't for the good and I especially feel for the "old timers".

Old 10-10-2007, 09:39 AM

What changes in Conyers aren't for the good?? Care to expound???

Old 10-10-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
What changes in Conyers aren't for the good?? Care to expound???
Well the growth of the city for one...as you commented, "their nice tranquil town" is not so tranquil anymore...traffic is insane in Conyers and I avoid it like the plague....Growth is not always a good thing.

Old 10-10-2007, 10:04 AM

The traffic wouldn't be so bad on Highway 138/20, if the lights were actually time correctly. Between Wal-Mart and the Burlington/BK Shopping center, traffic is a mess because the lights are all timed incorrectly. The so called improvement, I don't know what its going to fix since the bridge isn't being widening. Salem Road needs to be widen etc etc...

Everyone wants in the secret of Rockdale County....

Old 10-10-2007, 10:09 AM

Quote:
The traffic wouldn't be so bad on Highway 138/20, if the lights were actually time correctly. Between Wal-Mart and the Burlington/BK Shopping center, traffic is a mess because the lights are all timed incorrectly. The so called improvement, I don't know what its going to fix since the bridge isn't being widening. Salem Road needs to be widen etc etc...

Everyone wants in the secret of Rockdale County....

I dread 138/20...I'm in Walton Co so to get on 20, that's the most convenient, albeit traffic-y way...I'm a country girl so all that growth in Conyers is just not my thing...that's why I can see how the old timers must feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta