Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 11:57 AM

100 posts, read 455,638 times

Advertisements

My brother lives there and I visit there alot when I am in town. It is a very nice area with good schools. The housing market seems to be pretty stable.

As far as the KKK, you are moving to Georgia so people should not be shocked if you know southern history. However I grew up in South Carolina and lived in ATL for 7 year and never experienced racism. It is the South and racism is here and will not go anywhere. The Atlanta area may have a huge black population but the KKK and others who agree with there view points are alive and well also. Check out all the black church burnings and all the confederate flags flying in the name of heritage and history.

That being said the good out weighs the bad many times over in the ATL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 03:07 PM

563 posts, read 2,775,085 times
My aunt, her husband, and her two young daughters live in Conyers and she has had no issues.

I've lived here in Metro Atlanta since 2003 and haven't had any issues. Do these groups (KKK, Council of Conservative Citizens, Creativity Movement, Hammerskin Nation, etc) exist here? I'm sure they do, but you can't live in fear. I think you'll be fine in Conyers.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:01 PM

2 posts, read 14,096 times
Just a note from a native of Covington....Covington AND Conyers both had public KKK displays back in the day.....like Lawrenceville, Norcross, (insert the name of any Atlanta suburb here). I'm only in my 20's and I remember seeing KKK marches in Covington AND Conyers growing up. Conyers was always known for having racist white people. Times have definitely changed, because Conyers and Covington are WAY more diverse now. But as another poster said, this is still GEORGIA. The KKK and racists exist in EVERY SUBURB. Unfortunately that comes with the territory when choosing to move here. I will say that I think if you work anywhere past downtown Conyers and Covington are too far out. They are both overcrowded now and they have not changed the infrastructure of the cities to handle it. You used to not hit traffic until you got to the 285/20 merge, now there is heavy traffic from Covington and Conyers all the way to the city.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:32 PM

2 posts, read 12,763 times
I wouldn't consider Conyers. We are selling our house here along with the other 48 people in our neighborhood. It's not the town it used to be. Way too crowded and the schools aren't what they used to be. There's a huge influx of people moving in from the Lithonia area.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:43 PM

137 posts, read 739,786 times
I lived there for a few years and there's not much good there. They have cute downtown, but that's about it. Poverty is rampant, schools failing fast, trash galore. I wouldn't live there again.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:54 PM

4 posts, read 22,418 times
Previous two posts hit the nail right on the head. The crime rate is going up. Thanks to influx of trash from Lithonia and New York.

Stay away from Pinedale, Irwin Bridge Rd, Lakeview Drive, and Hunting Creek (off Flat Shoals). Lock your car when you go to Walmart at night. It's usually fairly safe on a personal level but if you have a car alarm, use it. Violent crime isn't normally that bad but property crime and drugs are rampant. I will say this, if you can afford to live elsewhere, do it.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:47 PM

3 posts, read 16,605 times
I have lived in Conyers for 10 years and my house has been broken into once and now I am a victim of a drive by shooting.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:13 AM

3 posts, read 93,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npcross View Post
I wouldn't consider Conyers. We are selling our house here along with the other 48 people in our neighborhood. It's not the town it used to be. Way too crowded and the schools aren't what they used to be. There's a huge influx of people moving in from the Lithonia area.
By 'Lithonia area' you mean black people right? Bc Lithonia is predominantly black. No need to sugar coat anything, we're all adults here. Shameful.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:09 PM

201 posts, read 1,013,487 times
I've never been to Conyers, but neighbor across the street moved out of there as fast as she could. She took her high school age kids out of the schools there and moved to Cumming. She said it was going down hill fast, She did not elaborate.

Old 10-02-2007, 08:30 AM

6 posts, read 46,660 times
Why people in Lithonia are moving to Conyers? Does anybody know why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta