Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 08:23 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,916,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I never thought of Underground as a family type of place. In the 70's the bars and restaurants were the attraction and then it declined and I was busy living the suburban life. If I have an occasion to go downtown it's business related and I exit at 5 Points and start walking---lots of people there but I just keep moving.
When Underground reopened, it was filled with both intown and suburban families for a while. Every weekend you'd see a mix of inner-city-meets-suburbia, at least for a few months. After it became apparent that the street preachers and vagrants around the MARTA station were freaking out the locals, they built the "tunnel" that connects the MARTA station to Underground so visitors wouldn't have to go street level, in hopes of turning around those who had started to stop going due to the street issues. Didn't seem to work.

Takes more than a tunnel. Aggressive enforcement of the anti-panhandling laws, and constant visible police presence are the only things that can turn it around, but they never seem to get around to doing these things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2010, 04:46 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,508,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
When Underground reopened, it was filled with both intown and suburban families for a while. Every weekend you'd see a mix of inner-city-meets-suburbia, at least for a few months. After it became apparent that the street preachers and vagrants around the MARTA station were freaking out the locals, they built the "tunnel" that connects the MARTA station to Underground so visitors wouldn't have to go street level, in hopes of turning around those who had started to stop going due to the street issues. Didn't seem to work.

Takes more than a tunnel. Aggressive enforcement of the anti-panhandling laws, and constant visible police presence are the only things that can turn it around, but they never seem to get around to doing these things.
Good to know--that must have been in the 80's? I moved around a bit during that decade.

It seems to me that business travelers and tourists would be the market at present--for the future. Someone said develop it like the French Quarter in New Orleans--that would be good. Most cities have an interesting feature--somehow, someway Atlanta should, too.

Old 05-08-2010, 02:57 PM

324 posts, read 660,358 times
The underground is a complete mess it had it's moments where nothin really goes on crime wise... But other than that I go there to buy shoes the undeground is usually on lock when it comes to police security.. I'm never scared to go down there.

Old 05-10-2010, 11:27 AM

73,102 posts, read 62,746,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
I agree. It's kinda sad, but that's how life is in the south, whether we agree with it or not. And the undertones are pretty resounding

The police presence won't actually change nothing, in a broad retrospect it really won't. APD needs to show Atlanta that they aren't going to hurt or harm the people they're suppose to protect.

But back on topic: Just because of one brawl in UnderGround people want to jump the gun and say that it needs to be closed? LOL! Brawls happen at high schools but don't nobody ever say close down that high school cause of that one brawl..

If anything there needs to be more things for the dormant minds to do at UnderGround, of course they will hang out in the streets if there is nothing else to do, but once again I think the city and metro area as a whole has a pessimistic outlook on the youth and ethnic groups of Atlanta, because the only thing we have to do in Atlanta(speaking for the youth and ethnic groups) is get on Facebook or hang in the streets.....And the older generations want to try to reprimand us when their the ones who raised us.
The mistrust of the police is something to consider, especially after an elderly woman was killed by the police.

People get into fights everywhere. Why anyone wants to close the Underground down, well, there is much to wonder.

There needs to be more to do. I remember when facebook and the internet didn't exist. There was more to do then than there is now.

Shutting down the Underground won't help. The criminals will just spread out to other areas. Same way with tearing down the projects. It didn't solve any issues with crime, it just spread it around. And the persons who were living in the projects as law-abiding people still had to deal with crime issues.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:43 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,578,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The mistrust of the police is something to consider, especially after an elderly woman was killed by the police.

People get into fights everywhere. Why anyone wants to close the Underground down, well, there is much to wonder.

There needs to be more to do. I remember when facebook and the internet didn't exist. There was more to do then than there is now.

Shutting down the Underground won't help. The criminals will just spread out to other areas. Same way with tearing down the projects. It didn't solve any issues with crime, it just spread it around. And the persons who were living in the projects as law-abiding people still had to deal with crime issues.
Do people really spend that much time on that stupid facepage? People really need to get a life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta