Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 02:15 PM

288 posts, read 958,693 times

Advertisements

Actually ur wrong, we didnt save buckhead, some element whom I think most of us know who were talkin bout came into Buckhead when it was fun and had great nightlife and ruined it, then it was torn down in order to make them dissappear. So now this "new Rodeo Drive" Buckhead, which to me is pretty lame considering you have Lenox and Phipps with high end stores right around the corner is suppose to be the cool place. I liked the old fun Buckhead when it was "the place" to go on weeknights or weekends and enjoy yourself with friends! Im sure all the wannabe rappers will start hanging around to be seen at these high end stores just like at Lenox, just hope they wont offer free valet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannino View Post
These people you are referring to do not live in Twelve. They probably come over from the section 8 ICON or Park District Apartments, or from Bankhead (which is not that far away).

Let them have Atlantic Station. It was the sacrifice we had to make to save Buckhead. I would rather Buckhead be nice and AS be ghetto than the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 04:05 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
I don't want the Underground to be destroyed. I have been there and I liked it. I don't want to see it gone. What needs to happen is more police presence.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:23 PM

128 posts, read 352,805 times
What exactly did you like about it? Just curious...

Old 05-05-2010, 05:51 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highriser987 View Post
Actually ur wrong, we didnt save buckhead, some element whom I think most of us know who were talkin bout came into Buckhead when it was fun and had great nightlife and ruined it, then it was torn down in order to make them dissappear. So now this "new Rodeo Drive" Buckhead, which to me is pretty lame considering you have Lenox and Phipps with high end stores right around the corner is suppose to be the cool place. I liked the old fun Buckhead when it was "the place" to go on weeknights or weekends and enjoy yourself with friends! Im sure all the wannabe rappers will start hanging around to be seen at these high end stores just like at Lenox, just hope they wont offer free valet!
Wannabe Rappers!? Where?

Old 05-06-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't want the Underground to be destroyed. I have been there and I liked it. I don't want to see it gone. What needs to happen is more police presence.
lol

Old 05-06-2010, 08:55 PM

799 posts, read 1,094,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic West End View Post
I don't even know what to say to that, but I will say the not so subtle racist undertones on this forum are very disappointing.

And certainly are a bad face for outsiders looking to find more information about Atlanta.

West end is a nice place to live and more businesses are coming in every day.

Atlanta will never be perceived as a "real city" if much of downtown is devoid of the day to day businesses that stay open after 5 PM such as dry cleaners, grocery stores, movie theaters, retail stores, etc..

Fortunately things are changing despite attitudes like yours.
I agree. It's kinda sad, but that's how life is in the south, whether we agree with it or not. And the undertones are pretty resounding

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
The police presence won't actually change nothing, in a broad retrospect it really won't. APD needs to show Atlanta that they aren't going to hurt or harm the people they're suppose to protect.

But back on topic: Just because of one brawl in UnderGround people want to jump the gun and say that it needs to be closed? LOL! Brawls happen at high schools but don't nobody ever say close down that high school cause of that one brawl..

If anything there needs to be more things for the dormant minds to do at UnderGround, of course they will hang out in the streets if there is nothing else to do, but once again I think the city and metro area as a whole has a pessimistic outlook on the youth and ethnic groups of Atlanta, because the only thing we have to do in Atlanta(speaking for the youth and ethnic groups) is get on Facebook or hang in the streets.....And the older generations want to try to reprimand us when their the ones who raised us.

Old 05-07-2010, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
I like the location

Old 05-07-2010, 05:56 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,798,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jurban8 View Post
I like the historical aspects of Underground. Other than that, there isn't much there that draws my interest - but that doesn't mean the place should be closed down.

Underground attracts totally different crowds than in the past...and some people seem to believe that because it isn't full of North Metro suburbanites then it doesn't deserve to exist. It seems to be sufficiently crowded and financially successful, so I don't really understand the negativity. It is what it is.

Old 05-07-2010, 09:42 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,674 times
I'd like to see Underground turn into something like NYC's South Street Seaport but that will take a lot of work and some luck. Just as SSS plays on NYC's maritime history, Underground should play more on ATL's railroad history. I believe it makes a few cheesy attempts. A mini RR history museum may be worth looking into.

What it doesn't need is another sports apparel store(last time I checked it had about 4 or five). The party district went over like a lead balloon. Maybe an upscale restuarant or two may have some luck.

It's just a shame to see such a potentially cool place languish as a cheesy tourist trap.

Old 05-07-2010, 10:09 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,355,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I'd like to see Underground turn into something like NYC's South Street Seaport but that will take a lot of work and some luck. Just as SSS plays on NYC's maritime history, Underground should play more on ATL's railroad history. I believe it makes a few cheesy attempts. A mini RR history museum may be worth looking into.

What it doesn't need is another sports apparel store(last time I checked it had about 4 or five). The party district went over like a lead balloon. Maybe an upscale restuarant or two may have some luck.

It's just a shame to see such a potentially cool place languish as a cheesy tourist trap.
What's interesting is that the same company responsible for SSS (and Faneuil Hall in Boston, the Inner Harbor in Baltimore, Bayside in Miami, etc.) is the same company that did the most recent overhaul of Underground (Rouse).

It was great the first few years after the reopening.

I also agree that we are missing the boat without a major transportation museum Downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta