Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 03:59 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanobserver View Post
Downtown is awful. Midtown is fine. And then there is Downtown, ugh. You can't even get to Underground without dodging 15 panhandlers. There is no parking, so you have to take Marta, which forces you to cut through the worst of the vagrants. That entire area needs a serious overall, but it is politically incorrect to remove the problem people. I don't know anyone who lives in Atlanta that actually goes to Underground. It's a pit.
Tell the panhandlers NO!

Use the Marta, Thats what it is there for.

Welcome to city life.

This is not toward you Urbanobserver.....But damn, why are people so afraid of bums, their frigging bums!!! BUMS! they ain't healthier than you. Tell their ass NOOOO and don't give it a second thought.

Be smart people, if you are afraid of BUMS pick the right time to come out in the city.

I need to teach a class to all you suburban types that think downtown and urban cores should be like your community parks in the burbs. They are not the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 04:03 PM

4 posts, read 9,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm trying to figure out how "garbage" can purchase a condo at Twelve....

These people you are referring to do not live in Twelve. They probably come over from the section 8 ICON or Park District Apartments, or from Bankhead (which is not that far away).

Let them have Atlantic Station. It was the sacrifice we had to make to save Buckhead. I would rather Buckhead be nice and AS be ghetto than the other way around.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:57 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,801,231 times
His exact statement was "They're already at Atlantic Station. Apparently a lot have purchased condos in Twelve." I was wondering how certain "garbage" is able to purchase a condo at Twelve...

Old 11-05-2008, 12:58 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,395,538 times
you know i dont think the push to build mass transportation is guna work out with the mean streets, knowwhatimean. its hard to stab somebody in a locked ford.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:32 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,290,449 times
People still stab?

Old 11-06-2008, 05:56 AM

314 posts, read 1,277,596 times
stabbing is sooooo 1980's.

Old 11-06-2008, 05:59 AM

23,450 posts, read 44,061,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meadgrad View Post
stabbing is sooooo 1980's.
Unless you're in prison.

Old 11-06-2008, 08:03 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,876,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Unless you're in prison.
In that case, don't confuse "stabbing" with "poking".

whoops.
sorry.

Old 11-06-2008, 11:08 AM

341 posts, read 1,337,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannino View Post
These people you are referring to do not live in Twelve. They probably come over from the section 8 ICON or Park District Apartments, or from Bankhead (which is not that far away).

Let them have Atlantic Station. It was the sacrifice we had to make to save Buckhead. I would rather Buckhead be nice and AS be ghetto than the other way around.

^^^
WOW, your tad off base my friend!!!! The 12 in Centennial Park does have a some section 8 tenants, but the 12 Atlantic Station is just full of rappers, atheletes and drug dealers, regardless of how they go their money, most of the residents in the 12 A.S. have money and are not from Bankhead. Bankhead residents are the ones who are turning Clayton County in a hell hole, the ones whom you see at A.S. are more than likely BMF members, rappers, or just plain ol young black professionals

Old 11-06-2008, 11:32 AM

341 posts, read 1,337,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saharaga View Post
Underground is not inherently a "bad" place. It can be a "safe" place but IMO it's a victim of it's location. That area is congested with people who have made it their daily hang out and not all of them are homeless. Underground's proximity to the Five Points MARTA station is just one of the problems that cannot be easily fixed. It is MARTA's responsibility to keep their train stations safe and they do a very poor job of it, especially at Five Points.There are "no loitering" signs posted but they are seldom enforced. I imagine it's difficult for the police to enforce the "no loitering" law there because they can always claim they're waiting for the train/bus. The police are there and so are the MARTA police. They just kind of stand around too really. More beat cops will only solve the problem temporarily IMO. The root causes have to be addressed in order fix the problem.

The large concentration of homeless people in the area is another problem that cannot be easily fixed. It certainly can't be fixed with more police.

^^^^^
My point exactly, these people dont understand that Underground aka 5 points is a hang out for the youth from all areas of Atlanta, Im from the A, born and bred and when I was in high school that was the thing in high school to ride MARTA downtown and just go hang out. I went down there to see girls from other schools in other parts of the city, and the "knuckle heads" go there to fight the other "crews" or gangs from other parts of the city. It was like that in the late 90's and early 2000's when I was in school and it continues to be the same today. Fights were commonplace then as Im sure they still are today; the incident in question was more than likely a gang fight as it happened in the middle of the day when schools let out. Do the math people, the 5 points train station which is in Underground is the only MARTA station were all the different rail lines converge- east, west, south, north. So it is inevitable when you have youth from Decatur, SouthWest, Westside, and the Southside all meeting up and hanging out in one area it will be problems. Dont blame it on the homeless vagrants that frequent Woodruff Park just to the north of Underground for this; as some them may be aggresive asking people for change; but they are actually quite harmless. The problems are caused by the teenagers who hang out in Underground from different areas of the city, who out lack of anything better to do are just looking for trouble to get into to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta