Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2007, 11:50 AM

33 posts, read 284,341 times

Advertisements

After much contemplation and decision making, looks like my fiance and I will be heading to ATL. I love it there.. but I've only been there on vacation.

Here's the deal.. we'll both be moving without jobs, so obviously we'll have cash saved.. but to alleviate that and secure jobs, is it possible to do before moving? If not, what's the general time frame after? Both of us have HS Diplomas (no degrees, yet), and I have an data entry/computer and customer service background whereas she has a lot of receptionist experience. What are the best spots to look for jobs rather than not? We'll end up in either Alpharetta or Marietta depending on the job outlook.. I've already panned out Craigslist, Monster, and the like. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of any opportunities within the next few months with companies in the area that would consider hiring longterm immediately.

Also, is it possible to join the Atlanta branch IBEW before I move? I'm looking for a bit of career change with something that's relatively steady, and that's something I've always considered doing. I just don't know how to go about it (if it's even possible since I still live in California).

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 12:43 PM

826 posts, read 3,120,715 times
I had to move because of my husband and was able to find a job before I moved. go to indeed and start applying for jobs. I put in my cover letter that I was relocating to Atlanta and would be in the area on XYZ date looking for places to live, and would be able to interview then. I hope you have a bit of money saved up. It can take a while to find jobs here. Also alot of places will not let you rent without proof of income. You may have to stay in an extended stay hotel.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:47 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,377,466 times
With regard to the IBEW, bear in mind that unions aren't particularly strong in the south, and on top of that, if you got accepted, you'd be starting as a first-year apprentice. As the journeymen rate in IBEW Local 613 in Georgia is only $26, your first-year apprentice rate will probably be around $12-13/hour.

Based on the fact that there were only three listings on the internal job postings board for the Atlanta local, I'd say that there's not a huge demand for IBEW workers, but I could be wrong- I'd make some phonecalls to find out the specifics prior to making any serious moves.

Bob

Old 07-18-2007, 11:58 AM

2 posts, read 54,785 times
I decided to move here from Los Angeles in mid March of this year and immediately people attempted to discourage me, saying that there were no jobs here, and that if I did find a job I would have to take a pay cut. NOT! I began sending out resumes, just to get a feel of things and within 3 weeks I had two interviews. I flew back and forth 3 times, practically doing turn around trips...just to interview and look at property. Within 5 weeks I had secured a great position within one of Ted Turner's enterprises. The same day I accepted the offer for my new job, I put an offer on my house. I moved out here to start working the end of May and close escrow on the
11th of June. Actually, it all happened so fast it was scarey, only I didnt have time to realize how scarey it was because my life was moving so fast, lol. My results my not be typical (I dont know), but I believe it happened so fast for me because I was online day and night... Careerbuilder, Craigslist, Monster, metroatlantajobs.com and so many other company websites. I was so motivated and ready to move to ATL and buy a big house that I wouldn't let myself be idle. I felt that any idle moment could have better been used submitting my resume and filling out online applications.

Old 07-18-2007, 05:54 PM

985 posts, read 5,757,848 times
It is best to find a job before coming to Atlanta, even if it is just a contract job.

Also, many desirable atlanta areas are not very cheap at all. It definitely more expensive than Dallas, the place I used to live.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:00 PM

218 posts, read 1,188,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
It is best to find a job before coming to Atlanta, even if it is just a contract job.

Also, many desirable atlanta areas are not very cheap at all. It definitely more expensive than Dallas, the place I used to live.
I second this. Please give yourself piece of mind by securing a job here. You always have these exceptions of people coming here searching for employment and lucking up...If I EVER left Atlanta, I would not move ANYWHERE without finding a job first...cost of living is reasonable (I won't say cheap), but, your savings will deplete before you know it...I know plently of people who do not have problems securing jobs first...as a matter of fact, most transplants that move down here move because of a job transfer or because they got a job here. As always, as I said before, there are exceptions this...Desirable areas in Atlanta will DEFINITELY deplete your savings...there are no short cuts unless you know someone...

Old 07-20-2007, 11:20 AM

6 posts, read 31,908 times
I would also recommend registering with the Georgia Department of Labor and checking out their postings daily. hhtp://www.dol.state.ga.us/ See also atlantahires.com and topjobsites.com

Old 07-20-2007, 08:04 PM

826 posts, read 3,120,715 times
I am not trying to discourage anyone form moving here, but it was very difficult for me to find a job ahead of time. I was dumb, ended up taking the one job I was offered, and I had to spend a year working for an awful company.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta