Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 02:34 PM

340 posts, read 1,577,032 times

Advertisements

What has the police been doing to protect citizens in one of the central areas in Atlanta? The leadership is screwed up in my view. If the local government constantly failed to protect safety of its citizen, it's time to replace it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 02:38 PM

247 posts, read 1,289,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eleanorBrigman View Post
Both Underground and West End Mall should be shut down because they are too unsafe. Any place where innocent shoppers and tourists are being murdered by the local vagrants hanging around should be closed.

Underground can reopen once the area around it has been cleaned up from the criminal elements around there.
Was it reported that the victims were innocent shoppers and tourists? I might have missed that, but usually these acts of violence have some history behind them, i.e. drug deal gone wrong.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:41 PM

5 posts, read 25,188 times
It is what it is --- I went to Underground Atlanta along time ago , while visiting Atlanta -- it was great !
Safe - fun - etc .
Now what has made it change --- stop making silly excuses - deal in facts !
We all know why it is just the opppsite of what was !

Old 10-06-2008, 02:42 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,192,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Historic West End View Post
I don't even know what to say to that, but I will say the not so subtle racist undertones on this forum are very disappointing.
What racist undertones? He made a logical and rational statement. Some people see racists and racist comments around every corner. If in your own head you automatically associate crime with minorities, frankly that's your hangup.

If crime in an area is high, then insurance will be higher. If insurance costs are high enough, it will drive people out of business and influence people looking to open new businesses. Look at the business owners who were the victims of smash and grab jeans thefts recently. Some of them had been hit 2, 3, and 4 times each. They suffered tens of thousands of dollars of losses. Many cannot afford to stay in business because of the high crime and insurance costs.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:36 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,522,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillemeister View Post
Earlier today in the AJC:

Two men were stabbed, one of them fatally, in a brawl Friday afternoon near Underground Atlanta that involved as many as 20 people, according to police.

The identities of the men who were stabbed were not immediately available, said Atlanta police Lt. Keith Meadows, commander of the homicide unit.

The deceased man was stabbed twice, in the lower back and in the thigh, while the other man was stabbed once in the side, Meadows said. It’s not clear what provoked the fight, he said.

The combatants scattered when an Atlanta police officer arrived and tried to break up the fighting, Meadows said. As people ran away, the officer found the fatally injured man on the ground.

“That’s when he discovered he was stabbed,†Meadows said.

Both men were taken to Grady Memorial Hospital. So was a third man, who suffered a laceration to the head when the officer hit him with his nightstick, Meadows said.

Police also tried to interview a young woman who recorded the brawl on her cell phone in for questioning, but she was not fully cooperative, Meadows said.

Strange how the city markets this as a tourist trap.
The Underground should be shut down for that? Some homeless guys that knew each other and had beef with each other, should keep me from Johnny Rockets? Ahm I think not.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebs964 View Post
Was it reported that the victims were innocent shoppers and tourists? I might have missed that, but usually these acts of violence have some history behind them, i.e. drug deal gone wrong.
Exactly....some people in the "non violent community" fail to understand how that works. Crime & violence is barely random. That could have happened anywhere, but it will always happen between people that know each other.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:46 PM

13 posts, read 22,409 times
Yes, but it should be happening in a more low profile area - the police are to blame for this. They have let 5 points go to heck in a handbasket. I had hope, perhaps back in 89 when they reopened it. But I have lost all hope for underground, and for five points. The center of Atlanta is embarassing, and it makes our city look terrible for tourists. If those people who run this city were smart, they would shut it down instead of continuing to let it represent Atlanta so badly. Let Centennial Park be the new 'downtown'.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Yes, but it should be happening in a more low profile area - the police are to blame for this. They have let 5 points go to heck in a handbasket. I had hope, perhaps back in 89 when they reopened it. But I have lost all hope for underground, and for five points. The center of Atlanta is embarassing, and it makes our city look terrible for tourists. If those people who run this city were smart, they would shut it down instead of continuing to let it represent Atlanta so badly. Let Centennial Park be the new 'downtown'.
One thing I will say is I never see security guards @ Underground Atlanta, I don't even see those Atlanta tourist helpers in that area much, but I see them around Peachtree Center & Centennial Park a lot. They just need more beat walking cops in the area, Does Atlanta have Horse riding cops? If the area is that bad, Horse riding cop should do the trick.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:44 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Both Underground and West End Mall should be shut down because they are too unsafe. Any place where innocent shoppers and tourists are being murdered by the local vagrants hanging around should be closed.

Underground can reopen once the area around it has been cleaned up from the criminal elements around there.
You mean like Lenox Mall?LOLYou do know the crime stats are as high or higher for that are in Buckhead?The thing about criminals is that they go where the people and money is.Where people feel comfotable the most with their guards down.Just because an area has been bad does not mean it always will be.They did not start out that way.The westend has a lot of development going on because of the investments that are going on all around it and the MARTA station.Massive overall have been planned and started all around the Mall across the underpass where Spelman and Morehouse Colleges have bought surrounding property for expansion for now and the future.Now also they are building the Ray Charles Center for Performing Arts on land by the school thats was once the projects.For anyone who has not been in the area in a while the amount of construction even still is amazing.I would not count the area out anytime soon.

Underground can be an assest.It needs to be something substantial instaed of a mall where un supervised teenagers and vagrants meet with the few tourist.IT is really a bad way to introduce tourist to the city.I am a black male and i was embarrased because the way SOME of the people act in public is ridiculous.Me saying that does not endorse anytype of racist or prejudice behavior.It is what it is.The result of people who behave in negative way usually has no color line,it about education and opportunity.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:56 AM

244 posts, read 865,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolyfett View Post
They just need more beat walking cops in the area, Does Atlanta have Horse riding cops? If the area is that bad, Horse riding cop should do the trick.
Underground is not inherently a "bad" place. It can be a "safe" place but IMO it's a victim of it's location. That area is congested with people who have made it their daily hang out and not all of them are homeless. Underground's proximity to the Five Points MARTA station is just one of the problems that cannot be easily fixed. It is MARTA's responsibility to keep their train stations safe and they do a very poor job of it, especially at Five Points.There are "no loitering" signs posted but they are seldom enforced. I imagine it's difficult for the police to enforce the "no loitering" law there because they can always claim they're waiting for the train/bus. The police are there and so are the MARTA police. They just kind of stand around too really. More beat cops will only solve the problem temporarily IMO. The root causes have to be addressed in order fix the problem.

The large concentration of homeless people in the area is another problem that cannot be easily fixed. It certainly can't be fixed with more police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta