Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 02:08 PM

201 posts, read 1,073,620 times

Advertisements

First of all...what an awesome online community you all have here! I have spent the last hour reading pages and pages of threads and I am highly impressed with everyone's willingness to help posters!

My husband just took a transfer with his company that will put him working at the aiport. After speaking with a couple of realtors and researching online, I am completely overwhelmed with which areas to reside. We are moving from Memphis, TN so this will be a big adjustment for us!

I *think* I have narrowed my areas down to: Fayette County, Henry County, (maybe Coweta County) and East Cobb County - as this seems to be the consensus on this board with those with jobs at the airport.

So my questions are:

1) Which of those areas have the absolute best schools? We will be coming from a private school (and if you know anything about Memphis - it should be that our school system is horrendous so practically everyone does private). I also want an area that is not divided by public/private school children. I am huge advocate of the public schools and would like to take advantage!

2) We have an only child (6 yr. old daughter) so I need an area with very friendly people, preferably her age so she can make friends easily as she is a very social child. She is also involved in many extra-curricular programs such as ballet, swimming and soccer. She also is interested in vocal/theatre programs - all which would need to be fairly close.

3) Drive time - I think I have a handle on this - 30 minutes from Fayette/Henry and about 45 from East Cobb (if he leaves at 6:30am)?

4) Best area for resale and fast equity growth in home. We are looking in the $275K - $325 price range. Preferably 3000sq ft.

5) Entertainment/Shopping needs to be close by (I am a Starbucks junkie...like boutique like stores, antique shops, Super Target for grocery, in addition to nice upscale malls - basically all the norm)

6) I might be jaded from having lived in Memphis for the last 4 years but I don't want an area that is stigmatized. Memphis is very divided based on your zip code and people treat you as such. I don't want people to discount me based on where I live - as petty as it sounds...and like I said, I might be jaded from living in Memphis. Are the aforementioned counties considered decent places to live?

7) Any suggestions on builders should we choose that route in a developing community? I have lived in Pulte homes and like their style but do not know their reputation in Atlanta.

I would love to hear any feedback the locals might have!

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 04:47 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,699,910 times
Have you considered Peachtree City? It is suppose to be a great community. Fayette Co. has very good schools.

I would not do East Cobb , I think the south to north commute is probably easier than the north to south commute. Although I don't know from experience. The south side is starting to boom.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:52 PM

129 posts, read 661,623 times
Well I have alot to say, so here goes since you asked.

Yes fayette county (peachtree city)is suppose to have the best schools in the area, and the commute going to the Airport isn't that bad compared to the other direction into the city. The city has all the things you mentioned swimming, soccer etc. I have heard it is very family friendly. They also have golf cart paths that link up just about everywhere in town, so alot of people have golf carts that they drive all over to the grocery store, take kids to school etc.. very neat concept.

Now for Henry county which is where we currently live in McDonough, the good , the bad and the ugly (which in all honesty EVERY town is going to have its issues)
Henry county is growing like crazy!We have been here for 5 years and the growth is unbeliveable..
They can't build the schools fast enough, and they are ALL OVER CROWDED!!!! Now we have some really good schools here, but NOT ALL are good so beware on where you look.
I would never recommend on the area that we bought into for so many different reasons.
However if I was coming to this town new and in your price range, there are alot of really nice areas that feed into the best schools. East Lake ES,and the Union Grove MS & HS are the best ones to date, however the area of OLA just got new schools and they are going be as good as or better than the Union Grove schools.. I personally would stay out of Hampton and Locust Grove only saying that strictly on the schools.I am sure others here could dispute that, so just MHO.

Now if I where moving here those are the only 2 schools (I am not sure how it is in Memphis but here everything is sortof based on the High schools for the "best" schools) I would look into that would feed into. Does that make sense? We to have all of the extra -curricular things you mentioned.(we also have 3 starbucks now!--took 5 years but got them)
My husband drives to the airport everyday also,and the traffic is not that bad, compared to other areas.However the local traffic can be a nightmare. As I said this area is non stop growing, and the local roads have not caught up with all the growth.
I am not sure if you are interested in new/building or resale? But if you are considering Resale then I would check out these 2 neighborhoods, they are well established family neighborhoods and they both feed into the Union Grove /east lake schools I believe and would be in your price range.
#1 Lakehaven subdivision
#2 Brush Arbor
Now I know you mentioned public schools, but Mcdonough has a really top notch Private school called Eagles Landing Christian Academy.. elcaonline.org
I believe is the website. I think you would be impressed. Please feel free to ask any questions or PM if you have anymore questions on Henry county.
oh yeah, McDonough has a town square that is filled with cute little antique stores, and we are getting a new mall next year.

Now East Cobb is also suppose to have some of the best schools, I believe traffic is going to be more of an issue. However it is all established and would have all the extra things you mentioned.I would have to say that East Cobb and Fayette county are alittle more upscale than Henry county.
I would think you could get more land and house down in fayette and Henry county tho..
Hopefully you will be able to come and visit and drive around the different areas to get a better feel. Good Luck! Let me Know if I can be of any more help!

Old 01-12-2007, 11:34 PM

85 posts, read 506,396 times
I would choose Peachtree City. Nice community and pretty good commute.

Cobb would be a tough commute.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:44 AM

201 posts, read 1,073,620 times
Thanks to you for the speedy responses! SAHM - thank you for your honesty and candor. That is exactly what I am looking for!

If...big if...I made my husband do the Cobb County commute...would you choose to live there? He could go to work as early as 6:45.

I ask only because after diligently looking at schools in Fayette County versus Cobb County...I am more impressed with the Cobb County school district - even down to the concern over food choice options in the lunch room.

I am interested in Peachtree City for its ambience but I also am not thrilled on getting an older home that will need work. That seems to be what is available in my price range. Also, what part of Peachtree City is the most desirable?

What are your thoughts on Fayetteville?

Thanks!

Old 01-13-2007, 11:02 AM

129 posts, read 661,623 times
Well, I can't really tell you anything about Fayetteville as to where to live, I only really ever drive thru that area, but I know they too have some really nice areas and schools.

I have heard that the neighborhoods of Ardenlee and the Preserves in Peachtree city are very nice.
Yes, I would definilty go to cobb county also. In fact that is where we want to move too ,but up to the Kennessaw area. However not sure it will work with the hubby's commute down to the airport, he says he is willing to do it, but I am just not sure, think that could get old really fast.

I would love to live in Peachtree city also, but not sure I would really like what we could afford, and would probably feel like I never fit in there.
It is pretty wealthy, ALOT of pilots live there.
I have heard that there are alot of changes going on and some new growth in PTC, that alot of people are unhappy about, I know a few months ago there was a BIG fuss about rezoning some new schools.
No matter what I would really try and get down here and look around first, there is only so much you can do online.. again any questions don't hesitate to ask or Pm...

Old 01-13-2007, 12:13 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,699,910 times
Make sure that where you can afford a house in Cobb the schools meet your expectations.

The very best Cobb schools are probably out of your price range or will also be an older fixer upper.

,Also, harrynorman dot com allows you to search by school district, just select search for properties and then search by school (from the top)

Old 01-13-2007, 12:37 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,104,991 times
Quote:
and about 45 from East Cobb (if he leaves at 6:30am)?
I loved living in East Cobb but that drive-time estimate you were quoted is seldom, if ever, the reality anymore in daily commuter traffic, and I lived in true East Cobb - not Kennesaw to the north and west which many will refer to as East Cobb.

Don't do that to your husband, please. Not if you like spending time with him. If you insist on moving to East Cobb, be aware that your husband will be late for dinner often. Very late.

However, since you almost loved the planned communites of Peachtree City, I have a suggestion for you. A few weeks ago, someone here mentioned a new master planned community called "Tributary" at New Manchester near the east (Atlanta) side of Douglas County. That part of Douglas is about a 20-25 minute commute from the airport.

Tributary captured my attention because I'm searching for a safe, affordable place where my parents can move closer to me and this community seemed to have potential.

I drove out to see it last week.

They weren't kidding about the "new". I prefer older, established neighborhoods with big trees, but upon maturing, this should be lovely if you don't mind houses pretty close together. Most of the architecture is based on Atanta's traditional craftsman-style bungalows.

It's pretty nice! It's rather big and not even close to finished, but not nearly as big a development as Peachtree City. It isn't a city. All residential, divided into three or four villages. There are sidewalks and streetlights. It looked very child and family-oriented, so I'm not sure it's right for my parents as they age, but they are planning to tour it in March.

Many of the finished homes seemed to be occupied already by families with children and there is a LOT of construction going on still. There are a few homes advertised under $300,000. Most are pricier, though. All of them looked like good quality homes from the street. Take a look at the ammenities online, then visit.

(I Googled "tributary" + "Georgia" and got it on the first result.)

Schools won't be an issue for us, but Tributary is in the Douglas County School system, I'm sure. So set aside the fuel and car maintenance funds that you'll save from slashing your husband's commute in half -- for private school. With his extra time at home, he could even tutor them.

If you don't find anything that interests you on the website, take the drive anyway because I saw several other nice-looking subdivisions in various stages of completion along the way out there.

Last edited by Figment 07; 01-13-2007 at 12:56 PM..

Old 01-13-2007, 08:41 PM

722 posts, read 3,325,017 times
a new hot spot on the southside is south fulton. That place is growing like crazy and you will see a lot of appreciation on your house in a few years.

Old 01-18-2007, 12:17 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,104,991 times
Pomartini, how is the search going? We have a member from Peachtree City posting now. Good time to check in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta