Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 11:30 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,088,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strate L O S S View Post
what makes you think this?
do you have any statistics showing the infected rates are in monogamous relationships?

or are we using our imagination. I'm just curious to know if this is fact or lala land.
Never learned about THEORY ??

On the Down-Low is mostly a Black thing .. Maybe you partake?

It is almost impossible for a male to contract HIV from vaginal sex, somewhere anal comes into play ... Either Male on Male or Male on Female. All that aside, If you believe you are in a monogamous relationship WHY would you use protection other than birth control and if a woman is on the pill it is over 95% effective.

Last edited by Trackwatch; 05-12-2012 at 11:43 AM..

Old 05-12-2012, 11:47 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,553,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
Well, in the OP's link, the two related videos talk about Gays in Jamaica getting HIV and living double lives. Could be the software linking the videos, but still comes down to gays. Found it interesting in that one article, they claim Haiti is where it started. I always thought it was Africa to L.A. but I guess it's difficult to track down as originally they didn't know what is was. Some articles suggest it actually started in the 70's.
Yeah but you really can't compare. Homosexuality is illegal in Jamaica and still severely frowned upon to say it nicely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post

It is almost impossible for a male to contract HIV from vaginal sex, somewhere anal comes into play ... Either Male on Male or Male on Female. All that aside, If you believe you are in a monogamous relationship WHY would you use protection other than birth control and if a woman is on the pill it is over 95% effective.
Bingo. I don't care if you want to play for the other team but these confused "switch hitters" are spreading it.

Then historically since blacks don't have health care or don't get their check-ups or use contraceptives according to surveys and hell talking with buds you are in for a bloody mess.

Old 05-12-2012, 02:39 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,625,853 times
Quote:

no I don't partake. married white male, if that matters.

but you have no facts, soo...

Old 05-12-2012, 02:40 PM

37,928 posts, read 42,186,656 times
Quote:
I think this is a huge inaccuracy, and maybe it's the "urban" lingo used that makes people think that. Surely no one accused Gov. McGreevey, Ted Haggard, Sen. Craig, FL Rep. Allen, IN Rep. Hinkle, etc. of being "on the down low" although that's essentially what they were.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:55 PM

32,039 posts, read 36,931,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think this is a huge inaccuracy, and maybe it's the "urban" lingo used that makes people think that. Surely no one accused Gov. McGreevey, Ted Haggard, Sen. Craig, FL Rep. Allen, IN Rep. Hinkle, etc. of being "on the down low" although that's essentially what they were.
I agree. There are bound to be just as many white men in the closet as black men.

Personally I think they should all just come out and be who they are. You only go around once, and you don't get any points for pretending.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:58 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,703,722 times
Quote:
A large portion of the Black females believe they are in a monogamous heterosexual relationship with the guy, under those conditions, contracting an STD is almost impossible(blood transfusions) so using protection from them wouldn't be necessary.
its more of the problem of the man not using protecting with the men especially when its multiple men

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Honestly I believe men on the DL are spreading HIV/AIDS. Just think about how everything works and it seems pretty logical. Then think black women are more likely to have sex with black men and white woman are more likely to have sex with white men. Why is it not the same? Maybe because more black men are on the DL. People can say black men on the DL are not causing it but if you look at the facts/stats it does not seem crazy. Being gay is not as widely accepted in the black community as it is in the white community. Think about why President Obama has not come out until recently supporting homosexual marriage. It would/will hurt him with the black vote.
not just DL, but the lack of protection or the ability to care about protection.. there are underground things such as parties (i read an article about it and have seen it second hand) where DL guys say pay a small fee (10 dollars?) and everyone has sex (10-20 men) for the duration of the party. it use to happen alot in nyc with fliers and websites but now its more hidden once that article was published but trust me it still happens, whats worst is now is that they record it for fun and put it on websites, thats how a friend of mines found out about her boyfriend.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
looks like it's a scapegoat, strawman argument.

it's not the raw sex being had during hetero sex, must be the gays.. brothers on the dl nah meen?

facts be damned.

it's a terrible situation so IMO any strawmen theories should be excluded.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:28 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,088,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strate L O S S View Post
but you have no facts, soo...
Facts regarding what? Not using protection increases your risk of being exposed to HIV ? Or A person doesn't use protection or require its use because they believe they are in a monogamous relationship? Both are medically and socially known facts.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:32 PM

14,831 posts, read 7,450,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I agree. There are bound to be just as many white men in the closet as black men.

Personally I think they should all just come out and be who they are. You only go around once, and you don't get any points for pretending.
Because there are more whites than blacks in the country, I think the number of whites in the closet is probably larger. However based on my observations, I would say that the percentage of black gay men in the closet is higher than the percentage of white gay men.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Facts regarding what? Not using protection increases your risk of being exposed to HIV ? Or A person doesn't use protection or require its use because they believe they are in a monogamous relationship? Both are medically and socially known facts.
that the infected rate amongst black women is because they're in what they think are monogamous relationships with "brothers on the dl", naw meen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta