Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 07:42 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,969 times

Advertisements

I have noticed that when someone asks about finding foreign food, like British crisps or Ghanaian grocery, the answer is always out in the suburbs somewhere. I looked for an australian restaurant, and there is an australian pie shop out in Marietta. I also looked for a japanese bookstore and grocery, and they are out in Smyrna. The big asian groceries and restaurants seem to be out in unincorporated DeKalb (Buford highway?) I have noticed other things like this. For instance, I do weight lifting, and the best weight lifting gyms are in Duluth and Marietta. Is it actually more interesting out in the suburbs? This isn't a troll. I am relocating to the area, probably for longer than I initially thought. Should I be checking out suburbs as well as the in-town neighborhoods I've been looking at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 08:13 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,863,148 times
He'll no!

Old 06-08-2012, 08:17 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,772,627 times
I live in the suburbs and I would say no - InTown is definitely more interesting on average when it comes to shopping, restuarants and night life and arts & entertainment.

The examples you note are true but you will notice that there are one offs in every community. I think to truly take advantage of what Atlanta has to offer, you have to be willing to get in the car and venture to parts of town that are not in your backyard.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:29 PM

284 posts, read 590,648 times
The deal is you are within minutes to most interesting things. I have lived intown for decades and it's not a big deal for me to take 10 mins to go to Smyrna to buy Japanese groceries, 10 mins to Decatur to get Indian food, 5 mins to go south and buy Carribbean/African spices, or 15-20 to go up Buford Hwy / toward Marietta to get Brazilian/Mexican/Salvadorean/Vietnamese/Cantonese/Eastern European/Middle Eastern etc food. You may not be "in walking distance" to everything in ATL, but its not inconvenient. I find that my suburban friends are much less willing to head up 85 if they live up 75, or go north of the city if they are from any suburb south of I-20. Most of my intown friends think nothing of heading out of the city for a few miles to eat a good meal or find specific ingredients.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:17 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,316,881 times
If you have kids live in the suburbs. Otherwise, get a Zipcar when you want to visit us in the suburbs.

We do come into the perimeter (Buford Hwy) for Thai/Malysian/Viet .. food, even though we live in Asian central (Johns Creek). Some of the good Indian food is in the Decatur area inside the perimeter.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:33 AM

2,281 posts, read 3,034,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
Should I be checking out suburbs as well as the in-town neighborhoods I've been looking at?
I am going to disagree and say that there are definitely some suburbs worth looking at depending on what your priorities are.

I've spent the last ~8 years in Roswell and the year before that in Smyrna/Vinings.

If, for whatever reason, your priorities include being closer to
1. North GA mountainous/hilly areas (hiking/motorcycling/pleasure drives?)
2. Public Chattahoochee River Rec areas (boating or canoeing?)
3. Shopping for cheap electronics (Fry's, Brandsmart, Wal-mart?)
4. More bang for your buck in terms of real estate (duh)

Then yes, there are some suburbs worth looking in. These areas all have disadvantages as well (far from airport, less centrally located, less activity in some cases), but the burbs can be an easy adjustment if you already have a good social network established.

Old 06-09-2012, 06:41 AM

7,132 posts, read 9,135,673 times
Hell no.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:22 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Hell no.
Agree! I live in Buckhead and do not see the appeal of Johns Creek or Forsyth.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:06 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,567 times
only if you consider sprawl, chain stores and driving everywhere interesting

Old 06-09-2012, 12:10 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,969 times
Thanks for the opinions. I guess one reason I asked is I feel like I have to drive almost everywhere I go intown, anyway. Mal93 makes a good point that in-town is more centrally located, thus easier to get to all the suburb areas, should i need to go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta