Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 06:46 PM

16,734 posts, read 29,598,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
But the movie demonizes Jim Curran when he was actually a "hero" of the early part of the epidemic. He is now the dean of the Rollins School of Public Health at Emory.
That's not cool. I haven't seen the movie since the early 90's--I just remember it being good and informative.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:14 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,925,927 times
This topic is (once again) steering more towards a ton of things other than the full, actual, topic. Read post # 1 for the topic, folks.

Old 05-11-2012, 09:33 PM

16,734 posts, read 29,598,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
That's not cool. I haven't seen the movie since the early 90's--I just remember it being good and informative.

...meaning that it's not cool that they demonized him in the movies.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:56 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,624,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
Well you really can't leave the straight/gay thing out of it! Gay black men in Atlanta aren't sleeping with these women but bisexual black men are though.
The issue is one of denial by black men when it comes to their sexual preferences.
It's just the mindset of many bisexual black men that it's "just sex" therefore it's "meangingless" and doesn't make me "gay" or "h o m o sexual" who are in love with each other.
I think it has to do more with the unprotected sex being had versus closet gays being the problem..

I understand that may add to it in females but its not a "thats why!" type thing.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:43 AM

3,437 posts, read 6,083,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strate L O S S View Post
I think it has to do more with the unprotected sex being had versus closet gays being the problem..

I understand that may add to it in females but its not a "that's why!" type thing.
A large portion of the Black females believe they are in a monogamous heterosexual relationship with the guy, under those conditions, contracting an STD is almost impossible(blood transfusions) so using protection from them wouldn't be necessary.

Old 05-12-2012, 01:05 AM

1,755 posts, read 5,688,713 times
Well, in the OP's link, the two related videos talk about Gays in Jamaica getting HIV and living double lives. Could be the software linking the videos, but still comes down to gays. Found it interesting in that one article, they claim Haiti is where it started. I always thought it was Africa to L.A. but I guess it's difficult to track down as originally they didn't know what is was. Some articles suggest it actually started in the 70's.

Old 05-12-2012, 04:57 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,694,112 times
Honestly I believe men on the DL are spreading HIV/AIDS. Just think about how everything works and it seems pretty logical. Then think black women are more likely to have sex with black men and white woman are more likely to have sex with white men. Why is it not the same? Maybe because more black men are on the DL. People can say black men on the DL are not causing it but if you look at the facts/stats it does not seem crazy. Being gay is not as widely accepted in the black community as it is in the white community. Think about why President Obama has not come out until recently supporting homosexual marriage. It would/will hurt him with the black vote.

Oprah did a special about men living the Down Low and one woman on the episode ended up with HIV/AIDS from her husband(they were both black, but there are plenty of cases where white men in marriages are on the DL).

And then another problem causing it to be spread even more is straight people and gay people who will have sex with anybody. One night stands should not be so culturally acceptable. Most television shows nowadays encourage one night stands like it is going to the supermarket. People really have no morals when it comes to sexual relations.

I personally do not believe in bisexuality. I believe you like one or the other. I do blame a lot of the HIV/AIDS epidemic on bisexuals(especially ones on the DL).

Old 05-12-2012, 06:18 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,624,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trackwatch View Post
A large portion of the Black females believe they are in a monogamous heterosexual relationship with the guy, under those conditions, contracting an STD is almost impossible(blood transfusions) so using protection from them wouldn't be necessary.
what makes you think this?
do you have any statistics showing the infected rates are in monogamous relationships?

or are we using our imagination. I'm just curious to know if this is fact or lala land.

Old 05-12-2012, 07:33 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,582,793 times
Hopefully it can be contained in the black community. Luckily its not as bad as aids.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:46 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,888,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post

I personally do not believe in bisexuality. I believe you like one or the other. I do blame a lot of the HIV/AIDS epidemic on bisexuals(especially ones on the DL).
Have any rational basis for this? You think bisexuality is fake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta