Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2012, 05:59 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times

Advertisements

If you look only at single family homes,, but I believe that prices in areas like Buckhead as well as other close in areas, that were already doing well, will rebound quickly. From what I can tell, the City of Decatur has seen very little drop in value and possibly an increase.

I suspect that my children's (and I have some that are young adults) generation are going to have different priorities than their parents. I see it already with my niece and her boyfriend -- they will make the public school work, but not a chance in a million they are living in Milton or East Cobb. Just isn't going to happen. My cousin, who has three children under 10, is getting ready to renovate her home intown. Most of her friends make the smaller houses and the schools work -- they don't want the burbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2012, 06:22 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,691,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
If you look only at single family homes,, but I believe that prices in areas like Buckhead as well as other close in areas, that were already doing well, will rebound quickly. From what I can tell, the City of Decatur has seen very little drop in value and possibly an increase.

I suspect that my children's (and I have some that are young adults) generation are going to have different priorities than their parents. I see it already with my niece and her boyfriend -- they will make the public school work, but not a chance in a million they are living in Milton or East Cobb. Just isn't going to happen. My cousin, who has three children under 10, is getting ready to renovate her home intown. Most of her friends make the smaller houses and the schools work -- they don't want the burbs.
I agree intown neighborhoods have weathered the recession very well. Also close in suburbs(Dunwood/Sandy Springs area) vs. exurbs(areas in Forsyth/Far North Fulton) have held much better. People need to think when they buy their house it might be a great deal and location for where they work but will it sell. Buying in Forsyth limits where you can commute for work. You might work in Alpharetta now but in two years you could be working in midtown. That is why places closer to the perimeter are so much more desirable.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:49 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Opps.. sorry i forgot to add the Walton HS cluster.

This is considered tier 1 as well.
And the Pope HS and Lassiter HS clusters, correct?

Old 05-12-2012, 09:57 AM

425 posts, read 1,755,878 times
Tier 1 to me isn't even the entire city or an area, it needs to break down to even smaller pockets. A tier 1 location to me is when you list your house and you end up with many competing offers within days. An example I can cite is if you were to list a modestly priced house off Los Angeles ave in Va Hi. A friend of mine did this and was totally surprised by people wanting to live there.

Quote:
Berkeleylake,

My guess is that the tier 1 locations will be the first to recover in metro Altanta.

By tier 1 cities I mean:

1) Milton
2) Johns Creek
3) S. Forsyth
4) Peachtree City
5) Alpharetta

A lot of Gwinnett County zip codes will still take time to reverse.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:27 AM

957 posts, read 3,357,567 times
Aries, there may be other tier areas that I may have not mentioned. I specifically track johns creek and s forsyth. If you were to ask how many homes sold in buckhead or sandy springs, I wouldnt have a clue.

Here is what I think about Atlanta real estate in the next 10 years. There will be sub markets where we see above average appreciation, parts we will see a continual decline, parts where cash flow is good, parts where flipping properties is good.

The first areas to rise will be milton, parts of alpharatta and johns creek and south Forsyth. This I am confident of.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:32 AM

957 posts, read 3,357,567 times
We are not there, but multiple full price offers is what I see in both northview and lambert hs clusters in about 4-5 years. We need to be at 3 months or less inventory supply to see this.

The job centers will no longer revolve only around atlanta. We see a strong job center hub developing in jc, Alpharetta, suwanee, and forsyth. An airport up north will accelerate the home prices in the northern burbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgpill View Post
Tier 1 to me isn't even the entire city or an area, it needs to break down to even smaller pockets. A tier 1 location to me is when you list your house and you end up with many competing offers within days. An example I can cite is if you were to list a modestly priced house off Los Angeles ave in Va Hi. A friend of mine did this and was totally surprised by people wanting to live there.

Old 05-12-2012, 10:47 AM

425 posts, read 1,755,878 times
Upto perhaps 1/2 of gen X and older, you may have a case there for the areas you speak of. Anybody younger will simply demand the inward migratory pattern (the desire is there although your finances can often tell you otherwise and ultimately dictate where you live). It's just a competing thought against the conventional.

Quote:
Aries, there may be other tier areas that I may have not mentioned. I specifically track johns creek and s forsyth. If you were to ask how many homes sold in buckhead or sandy springs, I wouldnt have a clue.

Here is what I think about Atlanta real estate in the next 10 years. There will be sub markets where we see above average appreciation, parts we will see a continual decline, parts where cash flow is good, parts where flipping properties is good.

The first areas to rise will be milton, parts of alpharatta and johns creek and south Forsyth. This I am confident of.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Berkeleylake,

My guess is that the tier 1 locations will be the first to recover in metro Altanta.

By tier 1 cities I mean:

1) Milton
2) Johns Creek
3) S. Forsyth
4) Peachtree City
5) Alpharetta

A lot of Gwinnett County zip codes will still take time to reverse.
Really?

Look at how much better the home values have held intown. Or even close in suburbs. Compare last years sales in Buckhead to Milton. Forsyth third in the metro! Wow real estate numbers must change when you live in the exurbs. Milton or Johns Creek are not going to be the next Beverly Hills of the south.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
We are not there, but multiple full price offers is what I see in both northview and lambert hs clusters in about 4-5 years. We need to be at 3 months or less inventory supply to see this.

The job centers will no longer revolve only around atlanta. We see a strong job center hub developing in jc, Alpharetta, suwanee, and forsyth. An airport up north will accelerate the home prices in the northern burbs.
When is that airport coming? Intown neighborhoods are getting full price offers on houses.

A few days ago a 5600 sq. ft. unit at the St. Regis sold for 4.2 million. And it was an unfinished shell unit.

Old 05-12-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrgpill View Post
Upto perhaps 1/2 of gen X and older, you may have a case there for the areas you speak of. Anybody younger will simply demand the inward migratory pattern (the desire is there although your finances can often tell you otherwise and ultimately dictate where you live). It's just a competing thought against the conventional.
Agree if you look at the sales and numbers it is backed up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta