Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2012, 11:29 AM

16,711 posts, read 29,555,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalvey View Post
There will definitely be more filling in, but, unfortunately, I am not fully convinced that that we have reached our limits.

Atlanta, GA to Lambert High School - Google Maps

Eventhough South Forysth is developed it is almost 40 miles from the city.

Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK to Manchester, UK - Google Maps

I understand England is much more compact, but still.

Key terms are bolded.

Some things you have to remember:

Metro Atlanta is a beautiful, multi-polar region. Atlanta City Proper is a beautiful, linear urban core.

With that said, there are many parts of Metro Atlanta (a lot of the inner suburbs) that really should be within the Atlanta City Proper--like they would be in other metro areas. This is not the case because of Georgia's antiquated annexation laws and conflictual history between cities/counties and rural/urban (there are some thread topics about this--search around).

So--
It is probably better to look at South Forsyth's distance from Sandy Springs/Dunwoody and Perimeter Center--not necessarily to Downtown Atlanta.

Also--
Some middle suburbs and the outer suburbs being 30-40 Miles from a metro area's downtown core is not out of the ordinary--and actually very typical. Which is why we need commuter rail in Metro Atlanta!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 11:37 AM

Quote:
... Maybe it is an American thing? I guess the only reason Miami is not larger is because of the everglades?
This.

You have answered your own questions.

Also, international metro area comparisons is really comparing apples to oranges--since every country in the world defines urban areas, metro areas, and cities differently.

If you placed many Euro cities in the U.S., for example, their metro areas could be defined as much larger than they otherwise would be in Europe--and vice versa.

Plus--and this is obvious--developmental patterns in the U.S. post-WWII were very different than developmental patterns in Europe.

Different lifestyles, different ways of doing things, different cities/metro areas.

Last edited by aries4118; 05-13-2012 at 12:13 PM..

Old 05-13-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
There will definitely be more filling in, but, unfortunately, I am not fully convinced that that we have reached our limits.

Atlanta, GA to Lambert High School - Google Maps

Eventhough South Forysth is developed it is almost 40 miles from the city.

Leeds, West Yorkshire, UK to Manchester, UK - Google Maps

I understand England is much more compact, but still.
More--

I have a good friend whose father commuted from Royal Tunbridge Wells to London. See link below:

Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK to London, UK - Google Maps

Roughly 40 miles. Commuting to work. In the U.S., this would be considered prime "metro."

South Forsyth to even Downtown Atlanta is not that big of a deal--whether looking at a Euro example or U.S.!

Old 05-13-2012, 12:17 PM

255 posts, read 514,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Yes home addict, the tier 1 areas are still below rental parity around Johns creek. It appears you are from the bay area. Northview hs is the #1 high school in the state and located in the 30097 zip code. Northview is like monta vista high school you have in Cupertino. I specifically concentrate my re investments in this area. I am a huge advocate in investing in your back yard unless you are a professional investor with a team here in Atlanta.
As you probably know, Bay Area RE market is really not for rental property investment. I am trying to diversity into other areas, and am seriously looking at Atlanta metro (Johns Creek and Lawrenceville in particular).

I understand that you are advocating local RE investment, I'd like to ask some details. How would you define a professional RE investor? What would constitute a RE out-of-state team, in your opinion?

Thanks and happy Mother's Day to all moms!

Old 05-13-2012, 12:35 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,320,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
More--

I have a good friend whose father commuted from Royal Tunbridge Wells to London. See link below:

Roughly 40 miles. Commuting to work. In the U.S., this would be considered prime "metro."

South Forsyth to even Downtown Atlanta is not that big of a deal--whether looking at a Euro example or U.S.!
NYC and London have huge metro populations and GDPs. Just becuase London-ers and NYC-ers commute 40 miles, does not make it feasible for a metro with a much smaller GDP.

I think a lot of things depend on whether things are going to auto-adjust with minor correction in due course in the US. Or, whether there will be significant re-thinking as we fight education/healthcare costs, national debt etc., and what the next generation wants.

Old 05-13-2012, 02:55 PM

957 posts, read 3,358,962 times
Home Addict,
Yes I am very aware that owning is more expensive to renting in the bay area. Owning is still cheaper to renting in the tier 1 areas in Atlanta This is one of the main factors why I moved my family to Atlanta from Chicago.

The reason i am an advocate for local investing is that there may be changes to a local area that only locals may know that an out-of-state investor may not know. This may be especially true when investing in a place like Lawerenceville where there is signicificant difference in social economic status and median home price by region. For example, homes and area within the Peachtree Ridge HS is becoming much nicer and there is more upside pot ential, while the homes zoned within the Duluth HS cluster is getting worse due a recent rezoning and home prices will may stay flat for some time.

Living in the Johns Creek the area for almost a year now, and I've seen more changes in my backyard in construction, roads widening, new banks, come up here than I've seen in the last 8-9 years living in my prior residence in Chicago.

I consider a professional investor someone who knows what they are doing not just chasing after higher returns out of state. There are more risk involved especially trying to manage a tenant on your own from the bay area. I would not recommend this. A good propety management company would be a must which is very hard to find here. You will need a team of a good handy man, a painter, a real estate agent or broker who specializes in investing, or a good project managment company who will handle all this for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Addict View Post
As you probably know, Bay Area RE market is really not for rental property investment. I am trying to diversity into other areas, and am seriously looking at Atlanta metro (Johns Creek and Lawrenceville in particular).

I understand that you are advocating local RE investment, I'd like to ask some details. How would you define a professional RE investor? What would constitute a RE out-of-state team, in your opinion?

Thanks and happy Mother's Day to all moms!

Old 05-13-2012, 04:03 PM

230 posts, read 493,167 times
Quote:
More--

Royal Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK to London, UK - Google Maps

I was born in London and go back very often, so I know a fair deal about it. I never once considered Tunbridge Wells part of London, it is Kent. My uncle catches the train from Didcot to Paddington a couple of times a week & it takes him around 50 minutes, but he never says he is from London it is Oxfordshire. London is mostly within the M-25.

It takes around 40 minutes to commute from our house in Dunwoody to Downtown in rush hour. I can not begin to comprehend what it must be like to commute from S. Forysth to Atlanta daily.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:19 PM

230 posts, read 493,167 times
Quote:
Key terms are bolded.

Some things you have to remember:

Metro Atlanta is a beautiful, multi-polar region. Atlanta City Proper is a beautiful, linear urban core.

With that said, there are many parts of Metro Atlanta (a lot of the inner suburbs) that really should be within the Atlanta City Proper--like they would be in other metro areas. This is not the case because of Georgia's antiquated annexation laws and conflictual history between cities/counties and rural/urban (there are some thread topics about this--search around).

So--
It is probably better to look at South Forsyth's distance from Sandy Springs/Dunwoody and Perimeter Center--not necessarily to Downtown Atlanta.

Also--
Some middle suburbs and the outer suburbs being 30-40 Miles from a metro area's downtown core is not out of the ordinary--and actually very typical. Which is why we need commuter rail in Metro Atlanta!

Agreed, just as I agreed with your other post, but only if it privitized like the U.K. What I am trying to say is that there need to be a limit on how far "Atlanta" can expand. I am not a fan of governemnt regulation, but when the MSA is larger than Israel .

I do not understand the annexation component as well as comparing the distance from S. Forysth to Dunwoody/S.S instead of Atlanta. Maybe i am just a bit slow, but it is similar to saying that Reading is part of London by comparing it to Slough. I do recall some of your other posts and do agree with you on certain aspects of annexation.

Old 05-13-2012, 04:45 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,976,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Home Addict,
Yes I am very aware that owning is more expensive to renting in the bay area. Owning is still cheaper to renting in the tier 1 areas in Atlanta This is one of the main factors why I moved my family to Atlanta from Chicago.
I find it kind of amusing that you are now inventing terms for real estate in Atlanta. You've been here one year. However, my amusement is fading...

Old 05-13-2012, 04:53 PM

957 posts, read 3,358,962 times
Ericsonga,

Can you enlighten me on what you disagree with what I am saying. I may have lived here for only 1 year, However, i know the real estate market in johns creek and s. Forsyth inside out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta