Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 03:27 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,427,324 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Johns Creek has crime! I thought it was so perfect.

Man shot in Johns Creek *| ajc.com
Crime is all over Atlanta. I don't know John Creek's crime rate but compared to some other areas of Atlanta, it is not that bad.

Interesting you posted this: I saw all that police activity and the yellow tape as I drove on Jones Bridge Road last night around 8 pm. With about 8 or 9 police cars there, I figured something pretty bad happened. Not many details reported yet in the AJC. I am curious to know if the shooting was due a robbery, which is what I suspect.

If you are looking to move, maybe you should consider a place farther out, did you consider South Forsyth? It is a bit less crowded than North Fulton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 05:52 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,692,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berkeleylake View Post
Crime is all over Atlanta. I don't know John Creek's crime rate but compared to some other areas of Atlanta, it is not that bad.

Interesting you posted this: I saw all that police activity and the yellow tape as I drove on Jones Bridge Road last night around 8 pm. With about 8 or 9 police cars there, I figured something pretty bad happened. Not many details reported yet in the AJC. I am curious to know if the shooting was due a robbery, which is what I suspect.

If you are looking to move, maybe you should consider a place farther out, did you consider South Forsyth? It is a bit less crowded than North Fulton.
I wonder did the criminal take MARTA there!? Because I thought if MARTA did not extend rail up there crime wouldn't happen?

Oh I live in the great City of Atlanta; I was just joking about how there is crime in the suburbs and not just intown. I could never live all the way out in Forsyth because it is to massed produced and boring. I have lived in four intown areas(Ansley Park, Druid Hills, SW Atlanta(I stayed in a rental property of mine during a renovation of my house and, it is not scary there!), and now Buckhead) and have never been the victim of a serious crime.

Last edited by GeorgiaLakeSearch; 04-21-2012 at 06:06 AM..

Old 04-21-2012, 08:51 AM

957 posts, read 3,358,729 times
I've had couple inquiries from 1 New Yorker buyer and 2 from LA who are interested in purchasing in a golf course community within the Lambert Cluster. Usually they are looking in St. Marlo and Laurel Springs and they ask for my opinion which community is better without ever seeing the homes in each community. These are the numbers that i present to them. Couple of buyers who look are specially looking within Northview and Lambert are suprised when i tell them that Lambert's median home is higher than that of Northview. Let's look at the YOY data between St. Marlo and Laurel Springs.

Lambert Cluster

St Marlo Country Club
Sales from 4/21/2011 - 4/21/2012
Homes Sold - 62
Homes Rented - 14
Median Home Price: $600,000
Median Rent: $3300
Inventory levels for St Marlo homes for sale: 5.8 months
Rental Inventory: 1.7 months

When I first moved to Atlanta almost a year ago the inventory levels were between 12-13 months and median home price was in the mid - $500s in St Marlo.

Laurel Springs
Sales from 4/21/2011 - 4/21/2012
Homes Sold - 36
Homes Rented - 3
Median Home Price: $560,000
Median Rent: $3000
Inventory levels for St Marlo homes for sale: 4 months

Last edited by mrpanda; 04-21-2012 at 10:14 AM..

Old 04-23-2012, 07:59 PM

The Gates of Johns Creek is a swim tennis subdivision that sits in one of the most desirable location in Johns Creek, 30097. This subdivision feeds into Shakerag Elementary, River Trail, and Northview.

Northview high school ranks #1 in the state of Georgia. Since April 23rd, 2011, there has been 14 homes sold in the Gates. The average home sold for $287,703. The Gates is located in the heart of Johns Creek Technology Park.

Old 04-25-2012, 04:33 PM

I have a nice young family of four who are looking to buy in the Gates of Johns Creek so their children can attend Shakerag in the fall. If you live in this subdivision and thinking of listing your property please PM me. If you know of someone in the Gates looking to sell please let me me know.

Thanks.

Old 04-25-2012, 06:21 PM

I hope you guys would respond here. My opinion to your decision will depend on the questions below. However if real estate prices is your sole reason for leaving johns creek for the oc, I think you are making a big mistake. It is sort like selling gold at $280 an ounce in 2001 and buying back gold in 2012 for $1650 an ounce in 2012.

1. Are u guys selling a home in Johns creek at a loss and buying a home in irvine or lacuna niguel?
2. Do guys own a small business or leaving for the oc due to a job
3. Do you have family in the oc?
4. Are you guys independently wealthy?

Mr. Panda, this is why our Korean American family sold our house at a loss in John's Creek and moved back to Laguna Niguel. Atlanta is too risky, too much crime compared to Orange County. GA is poorly run. Sorry we tried your advice. We leave 6/1.

Hi Mr Panda. I've been following your thread. We are a Chinese-American couple who are leaving Johns Creek for Irvine of all places. We feel that with Atlanta's home values plummeting its best to get out now. Can you help us?

Last edited by mrpanda; 04-25-2012 at 06:34 PM..

Old 04-25-2012, 07:20 PM

657 posts, read 1,505,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
I hope you guys would respond here. My opinion to your decision will depend on the questions below. However if real estate prices is your sole reason for leaving johns creek for the oc, I think you are making a big mistake. It is sort like selling gold at $280 an ounce in 2001 and buying back gold in 2012 for $1650 an ounce in 2012.

1. Are u guys selling a home in Johns creek at a loss and buying a home in irvine or lacuna niguel?
2. Do guys own a small business or leaving for the oc due to a job
3. Do you have family in the oc?
4. Are you guys independently wealthy?

Mr. Panda, this is why our Korean American family sold our house at a loss in John's Creek and moved back to Laguna Niguel. Atlanta is too risky, too much crime compared to Orange County. GA is poorly run. Sorry we tried your advice. We leave 6/1.

Hi Mr Panda. I've been following your thread. We are a Chinese-American couple who are leaving Johns Creek for Irvine of all places. We feel that with Atlanta's home values plummeting its best to get out now. Can you help us?
Listen, if these people want to leave Atlanta they have very valid reasons, and frankly I agree with them. Look at all the threads on this forum about Atlanta's plummeting real estate values. The worst in recorded history!

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...-recorded.html

Something is seriously wrong with Atlanta. It was built on nothing but speculation and that whole industry has crumbled for good. The *** is up, and I think people realize that there is nothing of value in Atlanta except that it's cheap.

And now that isn't even a sell. When all you have to offer are tax cuts and corporate welfare, it's a one-way race to the bottom. There are no ocean and mountain views in Atlanta like in Orange County. The summers in Atlanta last 6 months of the year and are unbearable and winters aren't mild enough to offer respite from the cold. And don't even get me started on the regressive, ultra-conservative politics in Georgia. California has much more to offer Asians and others who value education and civic-minded governance. That was an issue that the poster you quoted as to why they left Atlanta.

You're a real estate agent, and many on this board have given their reasons to be wary of your advice. For the past four years, your industry has said that "the bottom has fallen out" in the market. Well, guess what? It's still dropping in Atlanta more than anywhere else in the country. Why should anyone believe realtors now?

You're here to make money and convince people against their best interest to buy homes that will decrease in value. I would have trouble sleeping at night if I offered that sort of advice.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:19 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,692,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post
Listen, if these people want to leave Atlanta they have very valid reasons, and frankly I agree with them. Look at all the threads on this forum about Atlanta's plummeting real estate values. The worst in recorded history!

Something is seriously wrong with Atlanta. It was built on nothing but speculation and that whole industry has crumbled for good. The *** is up, and I think people realize that there is nothing of value in Atlanta except that it's cheap.

And now that isn't even a sell. When all you have to offer are tax cuts and corporate welfare, it's a one-way race to the bottom. There are no ocean and mountain views in Atlanta like in Orange County. The summers in Atlanta last 6 months of the year and are unbearable and winters aren't mild enough to offer respite from the cold. And don't even get me started on the regressive, ultra-conservative politics in Georgia. California has much more to offer Asians and others who value education and civic-minded governance. That was an issue that the poster you quoted as to why they left Atlanta.

You're a real estate agent, and many on this board have given their reasons to be wary of your advice. For the past four years, your industry has said that "the bottom has fallen out" in the market. Well, guess what? It's still dropping in Atlanta more than anywhere else in the country. Why should anyone believe realtors now?

You're here to make money and convince people against their best interest to buy homes that will decrease in value. I would have trouble sleeping at night if I offered that sort of advice.
The problem really with the "Atlanta" market is people are considering things far out as being in the Atlanta market. If you called up a true Atlanta realtor they would not be telling you to buy a house in Forsyth. S. Forsyth is so popular on this forum but it is far out of Atlanta. People who live there say they would never commute into ATL living there, then how is it a suburb or even exurb? (Ex. Fairfield County in CT is a suburb of NYC because people live there and work in NYC. I guess having Metro North helps, but in Atlanta all the far our people are afraid urban residents(aka blacks) will take MARTA and make crime. I bet robbers steal all there expensive stuff and lug it home on the train. And if you wanted to steal good stuff more houses in intown have more expensive things robbers want like jewlery, art, silverware, crystal, etc. In the far out places they buy quantity and intown it is about quality.) Forsyth values will never hold stable like the intown neighborhoods because it is only convenient to one job center. It is also too far from the perimeter. Your only option from there is 400 really. And many parts are a good distance to 400. In Buckhead you can easily commute to Perimeter, Downtown, Midtown, Airport, Cumberland, etc. It is a much more central location. Suburbs close to the perimeter like the Camp Creek area have easier access to more job centers then Forsyth.

And the home values in Forsyth dropped way more vs. the intown & traditional suburbs. Also the generic feel of Forsyth does not help.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:39 AM

Back2dc.
Did your dog die in Atlanta? Did your girl friend dump you in Atlanta? Did your home in Atlanta have a big tree fall on top of it? As a kid, did you get beaten up by a group of bullies in Atlanta?

Why do you have so much hatred towards Atlanta? I don't know what's up with you.

If the OC is all that in 2012.. Can you please explain to me why we had an increase of 1,020,879 in population in the Atlanta metro area from 2000 - 2010 while OC/LA had a net increase of 463,210 in the same time period?

In terms of you putting me in the same category as a snake oil sales man like the rest of the real estate agent out there, I don't promote anything that I myself don't believe in. I was not an agent while living Chicago because I did not believe in promoting real estate where Cook county continued to kill the home owners with higher property taxes as home prices were falling as they were flat broke. On top of that, I had no interest in the real estate market in Chicago.

I wouldn't have a bought a home last year summer if i didn't believe the north side real estate in Atlanta has great potential in the next 8-10 years. I put my money where my mouth is. I am not agent in S. Forsyth and Johns Creek because I need the money to pay for my mortgage and put food on the table, I am an agent because I am deeply passionate about the real estate market in Johns Creek and S. Forsyth. I have a photographic memory of the entire map of this area broken down by street and subdivision in my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2dc View Post

Old 04-26-2012, 11:52 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,040,338 times
Where is Northview ranked #1.....see this Georgia State Elementary Schools - GA School Rankings. Northview comes in 8th after a few other greater metro Atlanta schools. Folks be careful what stats folk throw out there....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta